X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petez69
    replied
    Originally posted by chimera View Post
    If you read the techinical specifications here: https://core-electronics.com.au/ardu...d-2-34369.html
    It seems that the original Arduino ethernet shields were not compatible with the mega. The new board has a "reset controller" that does an auto reset...
    Good find mate....i might grab these for my 3 mega boards

Pete

Leave a comment:

• chimera
    replied
    If you read the techinical specifications here: https://core-electronics.com.au/ardu...d-2-34369.html
    It seems that the original Arduino ethernet shields were not compatible with the mega. The new board has a "reset controller" that does an auto reset...

Leave a comment:

• Michelob
    replied
    I received this week new Arduinos, ESP32, NodeMCU and shields. A full of test ahead I think !

About the issue we're talking about here, I was successful on first try : as a guy who takes responsability for his laziness, I just changed the ehternet shield, and... bingo at first shot. Now I can simulate a power failure, as long as I want, then turning the AC on, and the system Arduino UNO + Ethernet Shield takes about 4.5 seconds to wake up and connect. Great !

I tried this several times, always successful in about 4.5 seconds.

Maybe some of you here could be interest in this gear :

https://www.tancredi.it/modulo-ethernet-shield-w5100

In fact, the solders were so dirt that I doubted at first sight that it could even just turn on. But it works...

And great shop'service (if that's allowed to say that here), altough I didn't know a website could be that slow nowadays.

Ok so, now I can buy the plugin. Perfect timing to take advantage of the current discount.

Greig, Randy, thanks again for your help.

Michel

PS. to be complete, the non-reactive shield is a Keyestudio model. Probably good gear in other contexts, but as far as I'm concerned, not working here.

Leave a comment:

• Michelob
    replied
    Ok... I've ordered a bunch of various boards, including original ones (and also NodeMCU, ESP32...). So... wait and see

Thank again

Michel

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Originally posted by Michelob View Post

Should I try this trick ?

Thanks

Michel
    I don't think that will help. I still lean toward a poor quality reset circuit on the board or a bad Ethernet shield. Like I wrote before all of my connection issues (and i had many) went away completely when I went to genuine Arduino shields and boards. It clearly has nothing to do with the plug-in or the network since a hard reset at the board always cures it, showing me that the board is not cleany reset at power up, which was also the symptom of the clone boards I was using in 2014. I have 4 Ethernet connected Arduino Mega boards in service since late in 2014 when I replaced all of my Chinese clones with genuine product. . .

Leave a comment:

• Michelob
    replied
    Thanks for your reply, Randy. I'm using a lot of different power supplies in the context of my tests. The one that made a good start is a 5v switching power supply. I banned non-switching ones, and the others (for tests) are 12v ones, and I'm also using a variable Buck DC-DC.

But in fact, I cannot reproduce anymore the good start that I saw yesterday. It's really discouraging. Probably yesterday, I plugged the Arduino a bit too quick, making it correctly start not because of a fully operationnal power supply, but because of some power remaining in the board, instead... The only thing I can ensure is that all the leds where down when I plugged it.

So the issue is still a mystery to me, even though I'm holding on to your hypothesis : a non stable current, at a bad moment in the Arduino's boot sequence, or in the system Arduino + Shield.

There are some leads here about some capacitor added somewhere on the board :

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=256771.0

Should I try this trick ?

Thanks

Michel

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    What is the power supply you are using?

This sounds like a power supply that is either noisy or more likely coming up too slow. An Arduino does its own reset after a slight delay when power is applied, but if the supply does not get to at least 5V immediately this reset could occur before the CPU has sufficient voltage to function properly. When you perform a second manual reset, the voltage probably has stabilized. This sort of problem can be exacerbated by a clone with lower quality components. I personally have had no problem with mine using 5V switch mode power supplies, but 5.5-7V is recommended. On the Arduino is a 5V analog voltage regulator. Mine are now all POE powered so the board and network are connected at once. Unfortunately POE Ethernet shields are difficult to find.

The NodeMCU boards operate on 3.3V, so a 5V wall wart powers them quite nicely.

Leave a comment:

• Michelob
    replied
    Thanks Greig.

While waiting for receiving a brand new original Arduino, I'm doing some more tests. I'm going on telling this story here as this could be helpful for anyone else.

Look...

If I power up some smartpone power supply, already connected to the Arduino USB plug, I've got the same issue.

But !

If I first turn the power supply ON, then afterwards pluggin in the USB, the Arduino is self-connecting without any reset. Great ! whoopeee ! Well, just half whoopeee because this means I could solve my problem with some relay+temporisation system, which is ok, but not that clean as a process.

I found some suggestion on the Arduino notice, telling that sometimes, if you're powering it with external supply, the Bootloader is stuck as it receives some bad signal :

https://www.arduino.cc/en/guide/troubleshooting#toc6

I tried the 10k resistor trick, but it didn't work.

I think there's a very short moment when you turn on a power supply, where the current is not yet stabilized, or something.

Keep you posted. And if all this gives anyone here some idea, please share

Michel

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    I think Randy's suggestions are good as with your tests you have proven that the board will connect on startup but there is a hardware fault causing the problems.

Leave a comment:

• Michelob
    replied
    Greig, or anyone else,

Beside the Randy's suggestion, any further idea about my issue ?

Thanks

Mich

Leave a comment:

• Michelob
    replied
    Thanks Randy.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for your reply.

About the Mega USB issue, I must precise that it connected one week ago, and I was able to upload the Arduino plugin sketch. As you say, it was connected, if I remember well, on port 4. What did I do since ? Just updated the IDE from 1.6.8 to 1.8.9 (as I use now the latest Beta).

I juste tried to plug it on my laptop, and I've got the same message in the Windows Device Manager (in French : ¨Périphérique USB inconnu (échec de demande de descripteur de périphérique).

My guess is that something has burned in the board.

About the issue that made me writing here and your suggestion : well, the board and the Shield are Elegoo ones. Isn't it genuine ones ? Could you give me a link or a reference ? I'm going to buy some (ESP8266 and ESP32 are on their way from China and are supposed to come in december).

Thanks again,

Michel
    Elegoo are not genuine Arduino, they are Chinese clones. Genuine boards will have the Arduino logo. There are some counterfeit boards out there as well.

This should help. I can promise you clones and fakes will give you much more of a headache than they are worth. With Chinese clone shields, I couldn't get mine to connect or stay connected. With clone mega boards I would end up with stuck inputs and bouncing outputs. Most of the clone Mega boards were OK. Most, if not all of the clone Ethernet shields would not connect properly.

Leave a comment:

• Michelob
    replied
    Hi Randy,

Thanks for your reply.

About the Mega USB issue, I must precise that it connected one week ago, and I was able to upload the Arduino plugin sketch. As you say, it was connected, if I remember well, on port 4. What did I do since ? Just updated the IDE from 1.6.8 to 1.8.9 (as I use now the latest Beta).

I juste tried to plug it on my laptop, and I've got the same message in the Windows Device Manager (in French : ¨Périphérique USB inconnu (échec de demande de descripteur de périphérique).

My guess is that something has burned in the board.

About the issue that made me writing here and your suggestion : well, the board and the Shield are Elegoo ones. Isn't it genuine ones ? Could you give me a link or a reference ? I'm going to buy some (ESP8266 and ESP32 are on their way from China and are supposed to come in december).

Thanks again,

Michel

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Hi,

The test here under is made on an UNO board, as I can't connect anymore my MEGA to the IDE (Windows creates some port 1 that can't be used by the IDE). Well that's another story.
    Under Windows 10, Com 1 is usually the computer’s primary Com port. When a Mega (or UNO) is connected by USB, the IDE should see the board at Com 3 or higher. I have seen mine show up as high as Com 8 when I go through all of my boards to upload sketches. I only upload to the Arduino boards by serial, the NodeMCUs are all done OTA.

Leave a comment:

• randy
    replied
    Is this a genuine Arduino Ethernet shield? You are describing the problems I had with many clone shields. I have also had a lot of problems with clone boards. Since running only genuine Ethernet shields and genuine Mega boards, mine connect and stay connected. I have two Mega boards that are critical to my heating and hot water that have had 0 connection problems for a couple of years. In addition to the 4 Arduino Megas I have 6 NodeMCU boards. The NodeMCUs have occasional connection issues, maybe one board once a week, at most. They usually end up reconnecting on their own, but I do have a routine that will restart the system if the lost connection is persistent. This will usually get the board to connect. The last time that event ran was last month. Here are my 10 boards (1-4 are Megas). I restarted my system yesterday morning after including/excluding a few Z-Wave devices. Everything has remained connected since.You will note that they all connected within a second or two.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1FA3C519-7E91-4CC4-A385-BF9B3E98A255.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	114.0 KB ID:	1339544

Leave a comment:

Working...
X