Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARDUINO WiFi

Hi,

We've successfully got Arduino + Ethernet shield working, but now we want to switch to WiFi using ESP8266 to operate remotely.

There are MANY ESP8266 shields out there. I tried with Sparkfun ESP8266 WiFi Shield, the one I had, but no luck. The board came with a Sparkfun library and I'm guessing that the 5 libraries which must be added to the program files (x86)\libraries will not do the job.

So, rather than try and modify the code and add libraries/code to make it work, it may be easier just to use an ESP8266 shield that is known to work. Can anyone specify a WiFi board which they have got to work using the standard process provided by HomeSeer ?

BTW, couple of other questions. I know it's like the wild west in Arduino world but:
    1. Why do we have to use a specific version (1.8.9) of Arduino IDE ?
    2. Why are we asked to update the system libraries and not the user area. If we have to change to another version of IDE, those libraries would have be updated again.

Regards,
    BRIAN

Hi,

I have successfully used the Adafruit Huzzah Feather ESP8266 board with the Arduino Plugin. I am currently testing using the ESP8266 board to make water leak detectors. I currently have 6 water detectors connected to a single board. Here is the link to the Adafruit device.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2821

Thanks,

Ronnie

Comment

Ronnie,

Thanks so much for the reply. Did you have to do anything else, like include additional libraries for this board, or just follow instructions from HomeSeer ?

Regards,
      BRIAN.

Comment

Hi Brian,

The NodeMCU boards which are ESP8266 are supported by the plugin and there is only one change you need to make to the Arduino IDE setup and this is in the HS3 manual or in HS$ there is a walkthrough on how to set this up.
        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
        X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
        Scripts =
        Various

Comment

Hi Brian,

The only thing I had to do is add the Adafruit library that contained the ESP8266 board in the Arduino program. In HS3 Arduino plugin, I just selected the NodeMCU board and selected the inputs or outputs I wanted to use and download the file. After downloading the file in HS3, I opened that file in the Arduino program and downloaded it into my ESP8266 board. I am using .166 of the HS3 arduino plugin and Arduino 1.8.12.

Ronnie

Comment

Ronnie,

Great that really helps. I'll give it a try.

enigmatheatre,

Thanks, I'll check the HS4 (HS$) doc

Regards,
            BRIAN

Comment

Hi,

Whilst waiting for my NODEMCU hardware, is there a recommended shield I can add to a MEGA to achieve a wireless connection ? We need a lot of pins so the MEGA is mandatory.

Regards,
              BRIAN

Comment

Working...
              X