Digital Inputs not making sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital Inputs not making sense

Howdy, Setting this up for the first time with an Uno, the connection is USB. Despite the Arduino software being slightly newer, it says it is compatible at startup. "Board 1 Version 4.0.2.18 and Plugin Version 4.0.2.19 are compatible." I have all of the available Digital I/O and Analog Inputs configured as digital input pins: 2-6, 11-19, 23-28. I have a wire going from GND through a resistor to an input, and they are not registering in the plug-in. I connected this setup to 0, 7, and A5 and all I got was a seemingly random change: 3/11/2023 12:00:09 Arduino-4 Info Board1, Input:3, Value:1 3/11/2023 11:59:23 Arduino-4 Info Logging Level Changed to Inputs 3/11/2023 11:59:19 Arduino-4 Info Debug logging Enabled Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I am connecting through this terminal block: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092LQXSLG but that should not make a difference. It looks like if I shut down and restart the plug-in, then it picks up the input change. Should I be pulling up each of the inputs (I know some are reversed) or wiring the inputs in a different way to get the reactions I am looking for? ​
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Ah yeah, been a long time since I worked with an Arduino and I think I was treating it like a security system input. I do need to pull the input up it appears.
    Regards,

Comment

Rick,

No need for a resistor between the ground and the input pin. Just connect to two together, Also you can not use pins 0 or 1 on the Uno when using USB as these are the pins it communicates with so adding anything to them will cause problems. So to solve your problems delete pins 0 and 1 from the board setup and remove the resistors.

If you are using USB as your connection method then I would also recommend installing the latest version of the plugin which I have fixed a timing bug on. This can be downloaded from Here. I will try and add this to the updater next week.

Greig.
      Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
      X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
      Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
      Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
      Scripts =
      Various

Comment

Thanks Greig!

I don't need to pull the input up because you have programmed the input using the internal resistor?
        All loaded - I will get some time to play on that project again soon. Appreciate the help!
        Regards,

Comment

PIN references are driving me nuts... You mentioned Pins 0 and 1 are for USB, and I see those referenced as IDE Pins 0 and 1, but physical pins they are 2 and 3. When I look at how the plug-in references the pins I used for digital input, the last ones are 23 through 28, corresponding to physical pins, not IDE pins. So what exactly does the plug-in use for reference? If you mentioned pins 0 and 1, are they physical 2 and 3? If not, then pins 23 through 28 do not exist as IDE pins. (23 through 28 physical is 14 through 19 IDE)
          Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Tinker View Post
            PIN references are driving me nuts... You mentioned Pins 0 and 1 are for USB, and I see those referenced as IDE Pins 0 and 1, but physical pins they are 2 and 3. When I look at how the plug-in references the pins I used for digital input, the last ones are 23 through 28, corresponding to physical pins, not IDE pins. So what exactly does the plug-in use for reference? If you mentioned pins 0 and 1, are they physical 2 and 3? If not, then pins 23 through 28 do not exist as IDE pins. (23 through 28 physical is 14 through 19 IDE)
            I do see in the log where Input 9, which in the devices says Pin 26, keeps oscillating between 0 and 1; I have ground going through a resistor going to that pin but it still oscillates. Could be a bad connection, but is this expected?
            Regards,

Comment

I do see in the log where Input 9, which in the devices says Pin 26, keeps oscillating between 0 and 1; I have ground going through a resistor going to that pin but it still oscillates. Could be a bad connection, but is this expected?
              Remove the resistor as it is not required. The input pin straight to ground and open is what the plugin requires.

Greig.
              Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
              Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
              Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
              Scripts =
              Various

Comment

The pin numbers you select are the pin numbers that are printed on the board.

Greig.
                Scripts =
                Various

Comment

I see that Input 9 is logically assigned (by order of use) and that it is pin 26, one of the analog inputs. I had the ground connection on the Physical Pin 15 which I thought was Input 9. ... and I was using a resistor just to have a good stiff wire for the port connecting block I am using, it was not going through it. So I guess the answer to my question is that I have to look at the created devices to see what the physical pin location is? When I am creating pins, is it always the physical pin that is referenced by the plug-in despite you giving me IDE pins earlier? Thanks again.
                  Regards,

Comment

I see that Input 9 is logically assigned (by order of use) and that it is pin 26, one of the analog inputs. I had the ground connection on the Physical Pin 15 which I thought was Input 9. ... and I was using a resistor just to have a good stiff wire for the port connecting block I am using, it was not going through it. So I guess the answer to my question is that I have to look at the created devices to see what the physical pin location is? When I am creating pins, is it always the physical pin that is referenced by the plug-in despite you giving me IDE pins earlier? Thanks again.
                    The easiest way to know what the actual board pin is to look at the notes. If you hover over, a tooltip will show the board and pin. The assigned input is input 8

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	19.0 KB ID:	1608850

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	90.6 KB ID:	1608846
                    The physical pin is 25.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6C4D49FF-191D-4C4C-A318-8988FBACD4BA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	1608843
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

[QUOTE=randy;n1608842]The easiest way to know what the actual board pin is to look at the notes. If you hover over, a tooltip will show the board and pin.

That is still confusing as in one case, it says "Input 9, Pin 17". If I look at the diagram below, Input 9 is Pin 15, or Pin 17 is Input 11, or IDE Input 17 is Pin 26.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                        The easiest way to know what the actual board pin is to look at the notes. If you hover over, a tooltip will show the board and pin.
                        That is still confusing as in one case, it says "Input 9, Pin 17". If I look at the diagram below, Input 9 is Pin 15, or Pin 17 is Input 11, or IDE Input 17 is Pin 26.
                        It is the IDE pin in the notes. My input pin 25 above is the IDE pin 25 which is what is selected in board configuration. That is physical pin 77, digital pin AD3. All the plug-in presents is IDE pin for configuration, you can disregard any other numbers. Digital pins D0-D53 and analog A0-A15 (MEGA). The input numbers as shown in the HS device is just assigned sequentially as input pins are added. If you select pin 7 for your first input, it will be input 1. The input and output numbers in the HS devices have no relationship to PIN numbers or IDE pin numbers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	444.3 KB ID:	1608863
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

IDE Pins - awesome! Thank you.
                          Regards,

Comment

Working...
                          X