X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dreambox View Post
    Hi,
    It would be nice to have also an inverted option for outputs, like there is now for the analog input.
    Many relay boards use zero as the active High.

I solved it now in the Homeseer.ino in this way:

Code:
     case 'O':

pinMode(Byte3, OUTPUT);
            if (Byte4 > 1) {
              OutPinArray[Byte5 - 1] = Byte3;
              OutputMillis[Byte5 - 1] = Byte4;
              bitWrite(OutputToggle, Byte3, 0);
              previousOutMillis[Byte5 - 1] = 0;
            }
            else
            {
             [B] Byte4 = !Byte4;  // Inverted output Alex Houben 20170328[/B]
              OutPinArray[Byte5 - 1] = -1;
              bitWrite(OutputToggle, Byte3, 0);
              digitalWrite(Byte3, Byte4);
              previousOutMillis[Byte5 - 1] = 0;
            }
            break;

Alex
    You can do this now on each output. Go to the device manager and click on the output name to get to the device configuration page and then click on the Arduino tab. The invert option is there.[emoji6]

Greig.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
      Just moved my first Arduino from the bench to its new home in my detached garage. It is probably 200 feet away. It is running a nodeMCU and using wifi. Power is AC supplied, no battery.

I took my phone with me and using a wifi analyzer, I saw I was getting about 30% signal strength but was fluxuating +-5%. Placed the new node and came back inside to see that yes, it had connected to HS3.

Got me to thinking though, it sure would be nice if the plugin could report the wifi signal strength for each nodeMCU. Maybe update a device once per minute with the percentage or dBm. I see in wifi.h that there is a function that returns the signal strength in dBm. Don't know if you use that lib or not.

Just a thought.
      Originally posted by petez69 View Post
      You could probably code that value into the API code when its released and update a device with the latest value....
      Greig,

I just coded this. Works great. One thing I did have to do was move your #include <ESP8266WiFi.h> to the top of the sketch. You might want to think about moving them up in the base API sketch.

Comment

Need more information on using Arduino with wifi and Homeseer

I was using the homeseer arduino plugin with a USB connected Arduino micro about a year ago. I kind of lost interest in that over time. However, I saw your posting about using a arduino/homeseer with wifi and that sparked my interest again. I have several questions.

Is there documentation on using a arduino with homeseer over wifi? I read the manual and I did not see a reference.

I have a good deal of arduino experience, but without using homeseer. Is there now a library module for using wifi with the 8266?

If there is a place that I can go to read about this, I would really appreciate it. Obviously, I need to "ramp up" my knowledge of using the arduino with the wifi modules.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbell View Post
          I was using the homeseer arduino plugin with a USB connected Arduino micro about a year ago. I kind of lost interest in that over time. However, I saw your posting about using a arduino/homeseer with wifi and that sparked my interest again. I have several questions.

Is there documentation on using a arduino with homeseer over wifi? I read the manual and I did not see a reference.

I have a good deal of arduino experience, but without using homeseer. Is there now a library module for using wifi with the 8266?

If there is a place that I can go to read about this, I would really appreciate it. Obviously, I need to "ramp up" my knowledge of using the arduino with the wifi modules.
          @jimbell

Ok. I'll try to give a high level overview with the assumption you already know about the IDE and the basic structure of a sketch. I've been doing most of my work with wifi based ESP8266 class devices using the API version of the plugin sketch so that will be what I address.

In the IDE, you will need to add new boards. In File/Preferences you will see where you can add URLs for other board managers. Here is what you enter:

http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/pa...com_index.json

In library manager, do a search for ESP8266Wifi. You will need that too.

Install the Arduino plugin in HS3.

In the plugin, you can add boards. You are able to configure them as far as IP address, mac, ssid, password, port. Connection is IP. Type is NodeMcu API.

You can now download a basic sketch for that board. It will contain the board specific items you configured. In the IDE you could compile and load it although it would not do anything other than connect to the plugin.

Ok, so you are familiar with a vanilla sketch. The two big parts are setup() and loop(). The sketch you downloaded has those two parts. In the setup() function it calls HSSetup() which is in the sketch you downloaded but is empty. In the loop() function it calls HSloop() which, again, is basically empty. Think of those as your setup and loop. Stay out of the main setup and loop.

In HSSetup() you can do most anything you would otherwise need to do in setup. Same for HSloop().

Ok, now lets talk HS3 devices. In the Arduino plugin, for each board you can configure outputs and inputs. Each board can be configured however you want. Lets just take a DHT11 temp sensor and work thru that.

In the plugin for that board, you would configure an input device. It will device ID #1. Second device would be device ID #2 and so on.

In the sketch, somewhere before HSSetup(), you would #include whatever libraries you need and you can declare global variables just like you can in any arduino sketch.

In HSSetup() you would put whatever you would normally put in setup() to support that DHT11 sensor.

In HSloop() you would add your DHT11 handling logic. Now for the special sauce....

In HSloop() you have two new commands. SendToHS(Device,Value) and FromHS[x].

Here is commented doc from the sketch itself:

Code:
          /* To Send Data to Homeseer use SendToHS(Device,Value)
               Eg.. SendToHS(1,200); where 1 is the API device in homeseer and 200 is the value to send
               To Recieve data from Homeseer look up the FromHS array that is updated when the device value changes.
               Eg.. FromHS[5] would be the data from API Output device 5
          */
          So in HSloop() you would read your temp sensor and get a temp. I then reformat it to be F rather than C. Then you would call SendToHS(1, temp) where 1 is the only input you have thus far defined for that board and temp is what you read from the sensor.

Now if you look at that device in HS3, it should contain the temp and the timestamp of when you updated it. Now in events, do whatever you want.

I hope that is helpful in getting you thinking in the right direction about how this stuff fits together and works.

Comment

@jimbell

What Logbuilder said

The only other info you need is that you need to run the beta version of the plugin which can be found in the Beta section of the updater.

The manual for the Beta can be found Here and all of the various builds can be found Here.

Greig.
            Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
            X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
            Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
            Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
            Scripts =
            Various

Comment

@Greig - Feature Request

I've really been having fun adding new boards through out my place. This environment is so cool. Thanks for your enabling.

One thing that I don't look forward to is adding a new nodeMCU. I have this standard set of devices that get added but are not always used on each device. So far I'm up to 12 I think. Let me list them.

Input 1 Motion (PIR or Ultrasonic)
              Input 2 Door/Window mag switch (HIGH or LOW) doubles as water leak sensor
              Input 3 Temp (DHT11)
              Input 4 Humidity (DHT11)
              Input 5 Heartbeat (updates each 5 mins)
              Input 6 Wifi dBm (updates each 7 mins)
              Input 7 Button1
              o
              o
              o
              Input 12 Button 6

It would be neat if I could clone another board's devices instead of having to add each one. I do clone the sketch myself rather than downloading. I manually set the mac, ip, port, board id, ssid and pass. Quick and easy.

Hope this makes sense.

Comment

@Greig - Feature Request

I've really been having fun adding new boards through out my place. This environment is so cool. Thanks for your enabling.

One thing that I don't look forward to is adding a new nodeMCU. I have this standard set of devices that get added but are not always used on each device. So far I'm up to 12 I think. Let me list them.

Input 3 Temp (DHT11)
                Input 4 Humidity (DHT11)
                Input 7 Button1
                o
                o
                o
                Input 12 Button 6

It would be neat if I could clone another board's devices instead of having to add each one. I do clone the sketch myself rather than downloading. I manually set the mac, ip, port, board id, ssid and pass. Quick and easy.

Hope this makes sense.
                @logbuilder, what do you use as sensor to monitor for water issues on the floor, I would like to monitor if I have issues in the basement when it rains a lot. I can get some water on the floor when it does from the ground up, I guess the water table rises pretty quickly.

Thanks,
                Aldo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Which 8266 module

@Greig - Feature Request

Input 3 Temp (DHT11)
                  Input 4 Humidity (DHT11)
                  Input 7 Button1
                  o
                  o
                  o
                  Input 12 Button 6

Hope this makes sense.
                  What model of the 8266 modules are you using? I am using the WeMos brand here and they not work exceptionally well.

Comment

What model of the 8266 modules are you using? I am using the WeMos brand here and they not work exceptionally well.
                    I like the HiLetGo version of the nodeMCU. It works well on a breadboard. I get mine on Amazon for about $8.75.

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Versi.../dp/B010O1G1ES

I once got some of the LoLin V3 nodeMCUs. They were too wide to breadboard but I still used them. Seems to me their wifi is not as strong nor as reliable. Might have just been the batch I got.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo View Post
                      @logbuilder, what do you use as sensor to monitor for water issues on the floor, I would like to monitor if I have issues in the basement when it rains a lot. I can get some water on the floor when it does from the ground up, I guess the water table rises pretty quickly.

Thanks,
                      Aldo

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                      Actually really simple and works for what I wanted. I use mine to monitor the plastic overflow pan that the water heater sits in.

I took a piece of sponge about 1" square and about 1/2" thick. Then I took a piece of speaker wire (2 wires) and stripped about 3/4" on them both on one end. Then tinned those 3/4" bare wires. I the wires into the side of the sponge about 1/4" apart. Then attached that to the nodeMCU on a digital pin. I treat it like a switch. Either HIGH or LOW.

When everything is dry, there is no continuity between the wires in the sponge. When it gets wet, the water creates enough continuity to seem as though a button has been pressed. I tested it by putting a little water on the sponge. When it soaked in, it triggered.

The only downside is it can take a day or so for the sponge to dry out.

Comment

Oops!

I like the HiLetGo version of the nodeMCU. It works well on a breadboard. I get mine on Amazon for about $8.75.

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Versi.../dp/B010O1G1ES

I once got some of the LoLin V3 nodeMCUs. They were too wide to breadboard but I still used them. Seems to me their wifi is not as strong nor as reliable. Might have just been the batch I got.
                        What I ment to say in the earlier post that the WeMos modules do work exceptionally well.
                        I get mine at aliexpress. They are currently $3.48 with free postage. The only downside is that you have to wait for the order to arrive, as much as a month.

Comment

What I ment to say in the earlier post that the WeMos modules do work exceptionally well.
                          I get mine at aliexpress. They are currently $3.48 with free postage. The only downside is that you have to wait for the order to arrive, as much as a month.
                          That's why I stock up on these things

~Bill

Comment

ESP Update via air

Hello

Not sure if it implemented somewhere but it could be good to be able to download sketch to ESP boards by air.

Comment

Originally posted by alexis64 View Post
                              Hello

Not sure if it implemented somewhere but it could be good to be able to download sketch to ESP boards by air.
                              I'm all for that. It is called Over The Air (OTA) and there is code available to do that. It is not implemented in the Arduino plugin as far as I know. I've looked at the code and it seems as though it might fit in with the plugin. It might operate differently than you expect though. Do a search on ESP8266 OTA and you should find some descriptions and examples. I'm not sure it would run on the wide variety of Arduinos and ESPs in this community. If I remember correcty, you have to have enough extra memory to hold the entire new flash. I've been lead to believe the ESP8266 nodeMCU has enough.

I currently have 10 nodeMCUs installed. 9 are in production and 1 is always on the bench for testing and development. It is a real pain to go to each one and load a new sketch.

Comment

I'm all for that. It is called Over The Air (OTA) and there is code available to do that. It is not implemented in the Arduino plugin as far as I know. I've looked at the code and it seems as though it might fit in with the plugin. It might operate differently than you expect though. Do a search on ESP8266 OTA and you should find some descriptions and examples. I'm not sure it would run on the wide variety of Arduinos and ESPs in this community. If I remember correcty, you have to have enough extra memory to hold the entire new flash. I've been lead to believe the ESP8266 nodeMCU has enough.

I currently have 10 nodeMCUs installed. 9 are in production and 1 is always on the bench for testing and development. It is a real pain to go to each one and load a new sketch.
                                There a couple of videos that show how to do the OTA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoQXOLB50HA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiAc3yYBsNU

Andreas is very knowledgeable and makes great videos. He is my "goto" guy for 8266 and soon to be ES32 information. I have not done the OTA, but it is definitely in my plans.

Comment

Working...
                                X