Connection Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for responding.
    You say before I upload the sketch make sure the IP address is hard coded in.
    This shows my ignorance of Arduino - I'm new to it. How do I do that?

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
      Thanks for responding.
      You say before I upload the sketch make sure the IP address is hard coded in.
      This shows my ignorance of Arduino - I'm new to it. How do I do that?
      When you open the sketch in the Arduino software, you can read it in the software window before you upload it. I'll take some screenshots and post them in just a little while.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I'll go over all of the steps because they all must be followed. this is for a normal configuration, the API is similar.

You need to download and install the Arduino software, Greig recommends version 1.0.5-r2. Then you need to download and install the libraries required for the plug-in. These libraries are installed in the Libraries directory of your Arduino software, overwriting any that might exist.

Then you configure your board on the Arduino configuration page of the plug-in as shown in the first screenshot below. The plug-in will suggest an IP address, port and MAC address. You can use those or override them if you are comfortable with network settings.

After all of that is set, you download the sketch using the little blue arrow on the configuration page shown in the first screenshot. Each board has a different sketch, so choose the board you want to download the sketch for.

Then you open the sketch in the Arduino software and it will look like the second screenshot. You will note that the section with the IP addresses, MAC address and port is near the top of the sketch as shown in the screenshot.

Then you connect your Arduino by USB, pick the board type and com port in the software under "tools" and use the Arduino software to upload the sketch to the board. The board is powered by USB during the upload process. It is this process that writes the static IP address and port to the board.

Once that is done, you should be able to power your board and connect it to your network. It will need a separate 6-9 volt power supply when not powered by USB. You should see network activity on the Ethernet port and on the shield LEDs. It should connect to your plug-in and will definitely respond to a ping to the chosen IP address.

If you don't use the correct version of the Arduino software, your board may not work. If you don't install the correct libraries prior to uploading the sketch, your board might not work. If you do not successfully load the correct sketch to the board it will not work. This can be confirmed by "upload complete" in the Arduino software.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by randy; April 18, 2015, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

That's what I have done.

As the sketch has the correct parameters and it compiles correctly and uploads without errors I conclude I have a faulty board!

Thanks again for the help.

I'll get there eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
            Thanks very much for your detailed reply.

That's what I have done.

As the sketch has the correct parameters and it compiles correctly and uploads without errors I conclude I have a faulty board!

Thanks again for the help.

I'll get there eventually.
            I will add that I have had horrible luck with aftermarket Ethernet shields. I have had one that failed connect and most of the rest would drop connections. Since I have changed all of mine to genuine Arduino shields I have had 100% uptime on three boards.

Comment

Working...
            X