Control 24vac hvac dampers with this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control 24vac hvac dampers with this?

I have HS3, and I formerly used Rain8Net to control 16 channels of 24vac hvac dampers (with HS2). I simply cannot get it to work w/HS3 though. I found these

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-8-Chan...s=24v+ac+relay

http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-i...droid-ios.html

Would i be correct in assuming that the product from Sainsmart comes with the controller and the 8 channel relay? Would that controller work with your plugin? Would I be able to use two of them to accomplish what I need?

Thanks,

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

The first one is just a relay, which could interface with an Arduino. The second one is an Ethernet controlled relay, but is not Arduino. It uses HTTP controls, but will not work with the Arduino plug-in. The first relay board will work in conjunction with an Arduino UNO or Mega. If you look at the thread linked in my signature you can see how I used Arduinos to control 24-volt zone valves. If you want, I can post in more detail how it would work.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

WOW! you've got quite the setup!

It looks like I could get the Arduino Mega pretty cheaply here
      http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardMega

and a couple of those 8 channel relay boards from amazon? I don't see how the relay boards would connect to the Mega. sorry for being a noob w/arduino!

also, i noticed you had the etherRain8 module. what do you use that for?
      Plugins:
      BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
        WOW! you've got quite the setup!

It looks like I could get the Arduino Mega pretty cheaply here
        http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardMega

and a couple of those 8 channel relay boards from amazon? I don't see how the relay boards would connect to the Mega. sorry for being a noob w/arduino!

also, i noticed you had the etherRain8 module. what do you use that for?
        The EtherRain8 is to control sprinklers. I purchased that prior to the Arduino plug-in being released.

The Arduinos have Digital I/O pins. The plug-in lets you assign the pins to be input, output or PWM control. If you set the pins to be outputs, they will pull operate optically coupled relays like you referenced at Amazon. The Mega is the best way to go because it has so many input/output pins. The Uno has a total of 12, but if you use an Ethernet shield you lose 4 of them. When you lose 4 on the Mega, you still have 40+ left over.

Since you are a "noob" just let me know and I can make a post with a lot of detail that will help you understand the entire process. It is not terribly technical, but you will have to build some connectors to interface between the Arduino and the relay boards. There are also some nice compact shield kits that will give you 6 inputs and 6 SPDT 1A relay outputs from Velleman for about ~$35. They are simple kits, but do require some soldering.

Just give the word and I can give you a lot more detail.

Comment

Hi,

I am using actually both (Arduino Ethernet and a relay cart TYPE ETH-RLY16), but can be done with the Arduino as well BY adding a modified KA05 from Velleman shield on it.

The Arduino is working great, with the available plugin V1.0.0.36 controlling my Arduino Ethernet and modified KA05 and to control the relay card I am using the plugin of Drule: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...ighlight=drule

Does this help?

Redbull

Comment

I would love to have a more detailed writeup about the Arduino setup. I'm curious about what/why the ethernet shield is.

not to be needy, but a simple (but complete) part list of what i'd need to get control of 16 channels of 24vAC relay channels would be great!

Ian
            Plugins:

Comment

I'll put together a post tomorrow morning.

Comment

OK. The two most common Arduino boards are the Uno

and the Mega 2560

As you can see they are essentially the same board, with the Mega offering another 40 Digital I/O pins and an additional 8 analog pins. They both come with a USB connector which can power and control the Arduino from your HomeSeer server with the plug-in. Arduinos use shields to add functions and they will usually stack. The shield is designed for the Uno and since the Mega has a subset of the Uno pins, the shields will work on it also. If you want to control the Arduino board over Ethernet you add an Ethernet shield

The Ethernet shield uses 4 of the digital I/O pins, so the Uno becomes limited to only about 10 usable pins. That is why I stick with the Mega. I chose Ethernet for all of my HomeSeer peripheral devices so that there is never a need to move a wire when changing servers. Since I rely heavily on HomeSeer, I have a backup server I can bring online if there is ever a failure in the primary. With IP controls of the servers, I can even bring up a spare remotely.

The Arduino plug-in allows you to chose a pin and configure it as an input or an output. By default the pin is "high" when ON and "low" when OFF. So all you need to do is build an interconnect between the output pins on the Arduino and the control pins on optically coupled relay boards like you posted above. Many of the relay boards are active "low" so the relay would be OFF when the Arduino pin is ON. You can reconfigure the device in HomeSeer or find relay boards that are active "high" to make the relay function track that of the Arduino device. Another solution is the Velleman I/O shield

This shield gives you 6 digital inputs, 6 analog inputs and 6 outputs, but if you want to use it with an Ethernet Shield, you need some minor modifications due to the lost pins. I extended the connections for pins 2-13 so they can connect to the back header on the Mega. Each analog input is zener diode protected, each digital input has an LED to indicate activity and each output is a SPDT relay with 1A rated contacts, also with LEDs to indicate activity.

Comment

Thanks for the clear explanation. So the home seer plugin can control the arduino via USB or Ethernet sheild? If I wanted to save $ I could just get the relay boards, mega, and plugin, right? I assume i could expand later if I wanted.
                  Plugins:

Comment

Thanks for the clear explanation. So the home seer plugin can control the arduino via USB or Ethernet sheild? If I wanted to save $ I could just get the relay boards, mega, and plugin, right? I assume i could expand later if I wanted.
                    Yes, the plugin will control the board by USB just fine. You can switch to Ethernet at any time. You just reconfigure in the plug-in then download a new sketch for the board(s). You can do one or several Arduinos by USB, Ethernet or a mix of both.

Comment

Just one remark, use de Arduino SW as specified, not the newer release yet, this will cause some connection problems.

Redbull

Comment

I got my hardware, but either purchased the wrong kind, or i don't understand the connection process (or both). It didn't come with any instructions at all. can someone instruct me? (see pictures...how do i connect this stuff?)
                        Attached Files
                        Plugins:

Comment

bump
                          Plugins:

Comment

whats the problem?

The Arduino can be connected using the USB cable.
                            The relay board can be connected to the Arduino using the digital ports.

With the SW you can control the AWrduino and therefor the relays.

What is the problem?

Comment

I got my hardware, but either purchased the wrong kind, or i don't understand the connection process (or both). It didn't come with any instructions at all. can someone instruct me? (see pictures...how do i connect this stuff?)
                              I'm sorry I missed this post the first time around. I'll do the best I can without drawings.

The relay board you purchased has 10 pins. They are "VCC", "GND" and 8 inputs labeled "CH1 through "CH8". It is hard to tell from the picture, but the relays look to be 5-volt coils. If that is the case, you need to supply +5 volts DC to the pin labeled "VCC", with the -5 volts DC to the pin labeled "GND". The GND pin also needs to be tied to the Arduino GND. Since you are using an Arduino MEGA, lets just us pins on the back connector of the board, that would be the bottom connector in your picture.

Looking at that connector. the furthest right pair of pins are both 5 VDC and the furthest left pair of pins is GND. The 5VDC pins are supplied by the Arduino's built-in regulator and would be adequate to supply one relay board, but in practice it would be better to provide a separate 5VDC supply to the relay board to keep from overloading the Arduino regulator. For the purpose of testing connect one of those pins to the pin labeled "VCC" on the relay board.

The furthest left pair of pins is labeled "GND". Connect one of these pins to the pin labeled "GND" on the relay board.

The rest of the pins on that connector are digital I/O pins. To keep it simple, let's use pins 22 through 36 for the 8 digital outputs to drive the relays. Connect pin 22 to "CH1", 24 to "CH2" all the way to pin 36 connecting to "CH8" on the relay board. With those ten connections you are good to go. In the Arduino configuration, you would assign pins 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34 and 36 as Outputs.

In your device manager you will have 8 devices that are Arduino outputs which will have "On" and "Off" controls. With the Arduino connected to your server by USB, you should be able to turn the relays off and on with the controls in the device manager.

Relay boards are available with inputs that are "active high" or "active low". The Arduino default for I/O pins is "active high". If your relay functions are backward to the device manager settings I.E. if the relays are On when the device manager is Off then your board is the wrong type, but there is a workaround. Post if you have that problem. Yours appear to be transistor driven rather than opto-coupled, so it is likely you are OK.

One caution: While we can us it temporarily for this test, in practice the 5VDC regulator on the Arduino really isn't designed to power 8 relay coils so it would be recommended that you provide a separate 5V supply for the relay board. When you do that it is important that the grounds between the relay board and the Arduino are "common", so the "GND" pins on the arduino need to still be connected to the "GND" pins on the relay board. You would connect he "-" or "GND" of the relay 5V supply to those same pins. Do NOT tie the "5V" pins of the Arduino to the "VCC" pins on the relay board.

Comment

Working...
                              X