Current version and connection issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current version and connection issues

Using 2 USB Arduinos with this plugin. I've been getting occasional disconnections, which don't automatically reconnect - unacceptable for a hardware interface.

Reading the forums it seems that ethernet connection is more reliable, so I buy 2 ethernet shields, install and configure them. They won't connect at all. Are they both faulty or is it a software issue?

A bit more forum perusal reveals that this seems to be a software issue and has been addressed in various updates, however, it would seem that none of those updates are available to the non-cognoscenti. The version that I'm running is 1.0.0.36, which is the current version, according to the updater.

Originally posted by billt View Post
    Using 2 USB Arduinos with this plugin. I've been getting occasional disconnections, which don't automatically reconnect - unacceptable for a hardware interface.
    Can I ask if you are using a real arduino or if it is a remake. Can I also ask what boards you are using as I have 3 board connected to my system and had no problems with the connection. I think it all depends on if you have usb hubs and if the device has power saving.
    Drivers can also cause problems with connections to the board so can you check what version you are using.

Reading the forums it seems that ethernet connection is more reliable, so I buy 2 ethernet shields, install and configure them. They won't connect at all. Are they both faulty or is it a software issue?
    I would say Ethernet is better way to connect as there are less variables to ensure that the connection is made without error.

A bit more forum perusal reveals that this seems to be a software issue and has been addressed in various updates, however, it would seem that none of those updates are available to the non-cognoscenti. The version that I'm running is 1.0.0.36, which is the current version, according to the updater.
    I do not believe that this problems are the plugin. I think it is other items that need changed. There are lots of users using V1.0.0.36 without any problems.
    Can you confirm you are using 1.5.6-R2 of the Arduino software as this is the most common problem when using Ethernet.
    Can you also confirm you can ping the boards from your HS3 server and that there is no firewalls of antivirus stopping the connection to the boards.

Please feel free to send me a debug log from the plugin as this will make it easier for me to find out what your problem is.

Greig.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

They look like real Arduinos to me, but that's not saying much. There is one Uno and one Mega2560, I've also got an Ethernet Arduino, but it's difficult to programme that in situ so I'm not using it at the moment. There are no external hubs, connected to the motherboard USBs. The server doesn't sleep.

The driver is the one that came with the 1.0.6 version of the Arduino ide, so should be up to date.

At the moment I've gone back to the usb connection for the 2560. The Uno is not being used in anger, so I've reinstated the Ethernet Arduino, to see if that remains connected.

I've ordered another 2560 and Uno from an Arduino listed reseller, so I'll try those when they arrive.

Comment

They look like real Arduinos to me, but that's not saying much. There is one Uno and one Mega2560, I've also got an Ethernet Arduino, but it's difficult to programme that in situ so I'm not using it at the moment. There are no external hubs, connected to the motherboard USBs. The server doesn't sleep.
        I know your server would not sleep but is the usb sleep setting set to not sleep?

The driver is the one that came with the 1.0.6 version of the Arduino ide, so should be up to date.
        Ethernet will not work with the 1.0.6 version of the Arduino ide. Can you download V 1.5.6-R2 and update the library's with the ones on the config page. This should solve the connection problems with Ethernet.

Greig.
        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
        X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
        Scripts =
        Various

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
          I know your server would not sleep but is the usb sleep setting set to not sleep?
          I'd checked the arduino serial ports, which don't have power tabs in the properties page. I've now gone through every USB device which has a power settings tab (9 of them, nearly all hubs) and set them to disable sleep.

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
          Ethernet will not work with the 1.0.6 version of the Arduino ide. Can you download V 1.5.6-R2 and update the library's with the ones on the config page. This should solve the connection problems with Ethernet.

Greig.
          That's interesting, as I have re-installed the ethernet Arduino and it seems to work correctly. (With the exception that pin 4 can't be used - presumably as that pin is used to talk to the ethernet shield - it's not used by the ethernet Arduino network controller.)

Comment

Working...
          X