Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Setup Arduino Hardware

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me or guide me in the right path, I've been working on trying to get one of my Arduino devices to work with my Hometroller S5 controller and havent had much luck.

I've spent the past week searching pretty much every forum and online support document in hopes to find a possible fix but nothing has worked.

My hardware:
    > HomeSeer Hometroller S5 Controller (Which has windows XP embed)
    > Arduino Micro
    > Arduino Uno R3

The problem im running into is as soon as i plug in one of my Arduino devices, the controller recognize the device and display the correct name and then beings to install the new hardware like any other device before it.

I have tried multiple different suggestions online to properly install and setup the new hardware however none of the methods worked as of yet.

The error that comes up every time i plug in an Arduino is;

"Cannot Install this Hardware
    A service installation section in this INF is invalid"

In conclusion my Arduino device doesn't get assigned a com port since the os system doesn't recognize that the hardware is functional. I've attached a picture of the error that comes up during the hardware setup process.

Any suggestions would be truly helpful.

Thanks,
    Evan G
    Attached Files

Have you installed the Arduino software on the Hometroller? It is my understanding that package has the drivers.

You cannot use the current version you must use 1.05r2

http://arduino.googlecode.com/files/...r2-windows.exe

Install that first then your board should connect.

Then you will still have to install the plug-in, configure the board, then download the sketch (firmware) and libraries.

I'm also not sure the micro works, it may. The UNO will definitely work.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Hi rprade,

Thanks for the quick reply, i uninstalled the latest version and installed the 1.05r2 version of Arduino and tried both the Uno and the Micro Arduino's but i still get the same error as before. "INF is invalid"

Do you think its because i already had the new version installed? I did look in the local drive for any left overs the uninstall may have left and manually deleted the Arduino folders in "MyDocuments" and in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data" as well as performed reboots after the uninstall and after the installation before trying to setup the hardware (and HSprotect is disabled).

Would it be worth performing a factory wipe of the controller then installing Arduino 1.05r2?

Thanks,
      Evan G

Comment

Originally posted by Egambell View Post
        Hi rprade,

Thanks for the quick reply, i uninstalled the latest version and installed the 1.05r2 version of Arduino and tried both the Uno and the Micro Arduino's but i still get the same error as before. "INF is invalid"

Do you think its because i already had the new version installed? I did look in the local drive for any left overs the uninstall may have left and manually deleted the Arduino folders in "MyDocuments" and in "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data" as well as performed reboots after the uninstall and after the installation before trying to setup the hardware (and HSprotect is disabled).

Would it be worth performing a factory wipe of the controller then installing Arduino 1.05r2?

Thanks,
        Evan G
        I don't think wiping it and starting over will help. I am not that familiar with the HomeTroller, but I think it runs Windows XPE. The issue you are having is that the board is not being recognized by the operating system, which is usually a driver issue. The concern I have is that you may not have the correct drivers for XPE. I am not sure what to do next, maybe Greig will have some ideas. I will do some looking around and see if I can find anything about the drivers.

Comment

Hi rprade,

Thanks,
          Evan G
          See if this helps:

http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/UnoDriversWindowsXP

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post

Ya i've spent a lot time on this page.

I've also tried to use the INF files in "Old_Arduino_Drivers.zip" that comes with the Arduino software and it still comes up with the same thing.

I just tested both boards on my laptop (which has win7) and they both installed fine. I've also tried uploading the "Blink" scketch to make sure the boards aren't faulty and everything worked perfectly so its definitely something to do with the driver with XP.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
              Yes I would check you have done all the steps in this.
              The other way would be to use an Ethernet shield as you can upload the sketch from a different computer and you won't need the drivers on the server.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
              Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
              X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
              Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
              Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
              Scripts =
              Various

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
                Yes I would check you have done all the steps in this.
                The other way would be to use an Ethernet shield as you can upload the sketch from a different computer and you won't need the drivers on the server.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
                Sounds good, ill keep playing around with it some more and see if i can figure it out.

I do have an Ethernet shield on it way here, i figure that it would be my last resort.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Sounds good, ill keep playing around with it some more and see if i can figure it out.

I do have an Ethernet shield on it way here, i figure that it would be my last resort.

Thanks for the help
                  For what it's worth, I have been using Ethernet shields on three boards (all mega 2560s) and they have all been perfect. Every peripheral I have from the Z-Net to OneWire servers, Brultech GEM and the Arduinos are all Ethernet. The added advantage is that I can bring up a backup HomeSeer server without moving a wire.

I compile and upload the sketches from a laptop.

Comment

Ya i've spent a lot time on this page.

I've also tried to use the INF files in "Old_Arduino_Drivers.zip" that comes with the Arduino software and it still comes up with the same thing.

I just tested both boards on my laptop (which has win7) and they both installed fine. I've also tried uploading the "Blink" scketch to make sure the boards aren't faulty and everything worked perfectly so its definitely something to do with the driver with XP.
                    I also think XPE is altogether a different flavor of XP than the normal distro.
                    Last edited by randy; March 30, 2015, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I had similar issues with drivers on my XP system. Eventually I got them to work, but it took quite a bit of uninstalling/reinstalling and then manually selecting the driver (INF) file when connecting the boards. I have 1.0.6 installed on my HS system and Arduino Plugin seems to work fine with that including USB and Ethernet connected Arduino's.

Cheers
                      Al
                      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                        I had similar issues with drivers on my XP system. Eventually I got them to work, but it took quite a bit of uninstalling/reinstalling and then manually selecting the driver (INF) file when connecting the boards. I have 1.0.6 installed on my HS system and Arduino Plugin seems to work fine with that including USB and Ethernet connected Arduino's.

Cheers
                        Al

Hello sparkman,

By chance do you still have a copy of the driver or the INF file you used to get yours working? I'm still having no luck with the installation.

Comment

Hello sparkman,

By chance do you still have a copy of the driver or the INF file you used to get yours working? I'm still having no luck with the installation.
                          Attached is what I have. Delete the .txt from both filenames. The usbser.sys file should be c:\windows\system32\drivers. Hope they work for you.

Cheers
                          Al
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                            Attached is what I have. Delete the .txt from both filenames. The usbser.sys file should be c:\windows\system32\drivers. Hope they work for you.

Cheers
                            Al

It works....thank you so much sparkman, your the greatest. Now i can finally play with my Arduino devices.

Thanks everyone for the help

Comment

It works....thank you so much sparkman, your the greatest. Now i can finally play with my Arduino devices.

Thanks everyone for the help
                              Great, glad I could help.

Cheers
                              Al

Comment

Working...
                              X