No announcement yet.

Noob reporting in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get the mega and i would make sure it is a real one and not some knockoff from ebay as some are good but some will give you more trouble and it just isn't worth the hassle. i have one in the utility room next to the HS3 computer so i just used USB for it but the others are around the house so use Ethernet shields for them (keep in mind that they take several pins so with the Uno you don't have a ton of free pins with the Ethernet shield)

i use mine for lots of things
    -most of the motion detectors in the house (bosch gen 2 quad)
    -sensing the smoke alarms and sprinkler system
    -controlling all the zone valves for the in floor heat
    -controlling the blower and boiler
    -it will also have all the one wire temp sensors for all the zones (haven't connected them yet)
    -kitchen hood temp sensor to control exhaust fan speed
    -electronic door strikes
    -solder bench controls, exhaust fan and damper, solder iron, hot air, outlet strip etc.. i have one button to turn on/off each thing and a motion sensor that will shut them off if i forget
    -plant watering valve
    -sprinkler tank fill/overfill sensors
    i am sure there are a lot i have forgotten but i love them

here are some things that i think are worth ordering as well
    Prototype Screw/Terminal Block Shield Board Kit For Arduino MEGA-2560 R3. D269UC

they make things so much easier are are only $15

also these are well made and you can invert them with a jumper
    12V 24V 8-Channel Relay Module with Optocoupler H/L Level Triger

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-9V-12V-24...item56688daf17

Comment

Mattyjee,

Please move your posts to the mysensor thread as I have had questions from users about this and it has nothing to do with my plugin so should not be on this thread.

Thanks.

Greig.
      Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
      X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
      Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
      Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
      Scripts =
      Various

Comment

Can someone recommend a good site in the US to order a MEGA 2560 from?

I will be down in Florida in the next couple of weeks and will order one while I am there.
        Cheers,
        Bob
        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
          Can someone recommend a good site in the US to order a MEGA 2560 from?

I will be down in Florida in the next couple of weeks and will order one while I am there.
          Hi Bob, I typically buy clones frm eBay, but have also bought from SparkFun in the US if I want the real thing: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11061. They have pretty reasonable shipping to Canada as well.

Cheers
          Al
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks.
            I do not see an ethernet shield addon board for the 2560 anymore.
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

Thanks.
              I do not see an ethernet shield addon board for the 2560 anymore.
              The ethernet shield for the uno also works for the mega: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoEthernetShield. Sparkfun carries it too: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11166.

Cheers
              Al

Comment

i just use the standard Arduino Open-Source Ethernet shields r3. (radio shack was changing brands a few years ago so i got a bunch for $10ea and there are still some on ebay for around $20ea http://r.ebay.com/GuSeUk)

you just have to make sure you get a screw terminal shield with stack-able headers so you can put the Ethernet shield on top o the stack (you will also need one with isp header pass-threw or you can make your own with long Female/Male extension headers or wires)

Comment

Do you lose any inputs when adding the Ethernet shield to the 2560?
                  Cheers,
                  Bob

Comment

So these would be the ones then

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/ardui...ller-rev3.html

http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/ardui...shield-v2.html

It looks like they are genuine Arduino
                    Cheers,
                    Bob

Comment

They look like the genuine ones. Good price too. Looks like they haven't been adjusted for current exchange rates yet.

Cheers
                      Al

Comment

yes you loose a few inputs (more of an issue when using an Uno as you dont have an many pins to start with)

on the mega i think you loose pins 50, 51, 52, 10, 4, 53,

Comment

I am assuming I would be able to use a doorbell with the ELK-930 board with the Arduino 2560 MEGA board and feed that into HS3

Sorry but I am new to Arduino and trying to determine how it actually works
                          Cheers,
                          Bob

Comment

One more thing... Does adding an Ethernet shield allow me to connect the Arduino board to my router and connect to it using an IP address or is USB the only way to connect to it?
                            Cheers,
                            Bob

Comment

One more thing... Does adding an Ethernet shield allow me to connect the Arduino board to my router and connect to it using an IP address or is USB the only way to connect to it?
                              Yes this is what the Ethernet shield is for. You can connect the board to Homeseer with USB or Ethernet. I would recommend using Ethernet as most people have trouble finding drivers that are stable for the boards.
                              You will need to connect the board to a Windows device with usb to do the initial set up then you can add the Ethernet Shield.
                              There is a quick guide here on how to get the board working with Homeseer.

The Manual can be found Here

I would also recommend using the beta .99 from the updater as there are lots of changes and enhancements in this.

I am assuming I would be able to use a doorbell with the ELK-930 board with the Arduino 2560 MEGA board and feed that into HS3
                              I dont know thw ELK board but on a quick google it looks like a relay board so yes this is exactly what this is for. It will read the input from this in to Homeseer.

Greig.
                              Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                              X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                              Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                              Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                              Scripts =
                              Various

Comment

I appreciate the quick response
                                Cheers,
                                Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X