Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help getting started with ARDUINO - Ethernet Sheild

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by swanie2000 View Post
    Well I am glad I wasn't doing something wrong. I try to read and figure stuff out on my own before I ask for help, just incase this problem was already asked and answered. Again, thanks for your help.
    I sent Greig an email. He'll help figure out if there is a problem or if both you and I are brain damaged Since he is in the UK and it is getting late in the evening, it might be another day or so.

    Comment


      #17
      Well back at it again tonight. It seems my lucky connected message in the Arduino plugin was short lived. Even though it said it was connected, when I looked in my router for the IP address I assigned to the Arduino board, it was not there. When I looked back at the plugin, the connection now has an error.

      I assign everything on my network a static IP address, by telling the router to reserve or save the IP address for a given devices MAC address.

      I do not know much about how MAC address's are created, so I wonder if the MAC address Homeseer created is correct? (00:aa:bb:cc:de:01) Maybe I need a better MAC address, more specific to the Ethernet Shield? Also, I just picked port 9000, maybe that is too far off base as well?

      Maybe Greig will be able to shed some light on these settings? I think I read somewhere where it said the newer version of the software had better fixes for connection issues. Maybe I am now fighting another know bug, with the older software?

      Michael

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by swanie2000 View Post
        Well back at it again tonight. It seems my lucky connected message in the Arduino plugin was short lived. Even though it said it was connected, when I looked in my router for the IP address I assigned to the Arduino board, it was not there. When I looked back at the plugin, the connection now has an error.

        I assign everything on my network a static IP address, by telling the router to reserve or save the IP address for a given devices MAC address.

        I do not know much about how MAC address's are created, so I wonder if the MAC address Homeseer created is correct? (00:aa:bb:cc:de:01) Maybe I need a better MAC address, more specific to the Ethernet Shield? Also, I just picked port 9000, maybe that is too far off base as well?

        Maybe Greig will be able to shed some light on these settings? I think I read somewhere where it said the newer version of the software had better fixes for connection issues. Maybe I am now fighting another know bug, with the older software?

        Michael
        I prefer DHCP reservations as well, but since the Arduino sketches provided by the plug-in do not support DHCP, any reservations you add to your router will have no effect. The MAC addresses as assigned will be just fine. Try to pick static IPs for your Arduinos that are outside your DHCP pool. I had some port issues early on with the default port, so I decided to use 55000 range ports, since there is not much at all going on up there. For example, my DHCP pool of addresses are 192.168.2.200-254, my DHCP reservations are in blocks based upon equipment type from 192.168.2.20-199. All of my static assigned devices that do not support DHCP are 192.168.2.2-19.

        Arduino board 1 is 192.168.2.11 port 55110
        Arduino board 2 is 192.168.2.12 port 55120
        Arduino board 3 is 192.168.2.13 port 55130
        Arduino board 4 is 192.168.2.14 port 55140

        Those low IP numbers are well outside the DHCP pool and DHCP assignments.

        There is no reason they need to have different ports, but I decided on this numbering convention from the beginning and it has worked well. I never had connection issues with 1.0.0.36, but there are some newer betas that are improved, but mostly with serial connections.

        Using that methodology and a spreadsheet tracking all IP assignments, either static or assigned through reservation, makes it nearly impossible for me to screw up and create an IP conflict.
        Last edited by randy; May 21, 2015, 09:05 PM. Reason: correction of statement regarding DHCP and Arduino

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by sparkman
          Hi Randy, one point of clarification, Arduino's themselves do support DHCP: http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/EthernetBegin

          Cheers
          Al
          I know that. I should have stated more correctly, Greig's sketch doesn't support DHCP, the IP is hard coded into the sketch. I corrected the post.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by rprade View Post
            I prefer DHCP reservations as well, but since the Arduino sketches provided by the plug-in do not support DHCP, any reservations you add to your router will have no effect. The MAC addresses as assigned will be just fine. Try to pick static IPs for your Arduinos that are outside your DHCP pool. I had some port issues early on with the default port, so I decided to use 55000 range ports, since there is not much at all going on up there. For example, my DHCP pool of addresses are 192.168.2.200-254, my DHCP reservations are in blocks based upon equipment type from 192.168.2.20-199. All of my static assigned devices that do not support DHCP are 192.168.2.2-19.

            Arduino board 1 is 192.168.2.11 port 55110
            Arduino board 2 is 192.168.2.12 port 55120
            Arduino board 3 is 192.168.2.13 port 55130
            Arduino board 4 is 192.168.2.14 port 55140

            Those low IP numbers are well outside the DHCP pool and DHCP assignments.

            There is no reason they need to have different ports, but I decided on this numbering convention from the beginning and it has worked well. I never had connection issues with 1.0.0.36, but there are some newer betas that are improved, but mostly with serial connections.

            Using that methodology and a spreadsheet tracking all IP assignments, either static or assigned through reservation, makes it nearly impossible for me to screw up and create an IP conflict.
            Thanks for this detailed answer.
            Surprisingly enough, I actually understand what you are telling me.

            My router has a screen where it shows DHCP connected clients. This is where I was looking for my Arduino. I now understand that the static IP address is not DHCP, so I guess it makes since that it will not show up there.

            I already do have a spreadsheet, listing out all my reservations of all the clients I currently have. Very handy cheat sheet. I like the way you separated the static IP address, from the DHCP address, I will adopt a similar setup.

            Also, I had a 12vdc power supply plugged into the Arduino when it lost connection. I removed it, and put it back on 5vdc. So far, the connection has been stable for a couple of hours. Hopefully it will stay connected. I plan on interfacing a relay board to it this weekend, but want to have a proven stable connection, before I move forward.

            Another thing, yesterday I was using version 1.5.6-r2 BETA. I could not find the actual 1.5.6-r2 version that is not BETA. The instruction PDF doesn't say BETA, so maybe that is where I was going wrong?


            Thanks again for your help. Post back here when you hear from Greig.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by swanie2000 View Post

              Also, I had a 12vdc power supply plugged into the Arduino when it lost connection. I removed it, and put it back on 5vdc. So far, the connection has been stable for a couple of hours. Hopefully it will stay connected. I plan on interfacing a relay board to it this weekend, but want to have a proven stable connection, before I move forward.

              Another thing, yesterday I was using version 1.5.6-r2 BETA. I could not find the actual 1.5.6-r2 version that is not BETA. The instruction PDF doesn't say BETA, so maybe that is where I was going wrong?


              Thanks again for your help. Post back here when you hear from Greig.
              The Arduinos we are using are powered internally by a 5-volt analog regulator. While Arduino recommends a 7-12V power supply, the analog regulator gets really warm with a 12V supply - warm enough to make me uncomfortable. I had no problem running mine on 5 volts, i would thing 6-7 volts would be ideal. I switched all of mine to Arduino POE shields so they are now all powered by a UPS connected POE switch. They have been stone reliable in their connections for months.

              I think all the 1.5.X versions were only released as betas. The first production after 1.0.5 was 1.6.

              Comment


                #22
                FWIW, I have a number of different Mega2560 clones outfitted with ethernet shields, and I haven't noticed any conflict between the ethernet shield and USB. On the other hand, I have noticed conflicts between the ethernet shield and other SPI devices, and this is a known bug whereby the ethernet shield does not release the SPI bus when it should.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Ok

                  I think there is a lot of confusion in here. I apologise for not stepping in sooner.
                  The Arduino Libraries work and are tested with IDE version 1.5.6-r2 BETA.

                  swanie2000,
                  You can have both Ethernet and USB plunged in at the same time as the Sketch will only use the selected connection method.
                  I see no reason for your sketch you uploaded to the board to not work. Can you ping the board? If not can you run one of the default ethernet sketches and try and ping the board again to see if it is my sketch or a network/board problem.

                  If you are still having problems email me and I will send you the latest Beta that has a different connection routine.

                  Greig.
                  Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                  X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                  Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                  Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                  Scripts =
                  Various

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
                    Ok

                    I think there is a lot of confusion in here. I apologise for not stepping in sooner.
                    The Arduino Libraries work and are tested with IDE version 1.5.6-r2 BETA.

                    swanie2000,
                    You can have both Ethernet and USB plunged in at the same time as the Sketch will only use the selected connection method.
                    I see no reason for your sketch you uploaded to the board to not work. Can you ping the board? If not can you run one of the default ethernet sketches and try and ping the board again to see if it is my sketch or a network/board problem.

                    If you are still having problems email me and I will send you the latest Beta that has a different connection routine.

                    Greig.
                    Greig;

                    I just tried again, reinstalling 1.5.6-r2 beta with all of the same errors. I sent you an email with the errors, .ino and Libraries attached. Maybe it is something we are doing wrong, but I cannot get 1.5.6-r2 to load a sketch without the attached compilation errors. It all works fine with 1.0.5-r2.
                    Attached Files

                    Comment


                      #25
                      You have the W5100 Enthernet shield? The Arduino plugin work only with this shield.

                      Is right, Greig?

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by mihaium View Post
                        You have the W5100 Enthernet shield? The Arduino plugin work only with this shield.

                        Is right, Greig?
                        Yes.

                        Greig.
                        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                        X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                        Scripts =
                        Various

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by swanie2000 View Post
                          Thanks Randy!

                          After deleting everything, and then downgrading even further than the instructions suggested, to VERSION 1.0.5-r2 I finally got the software to compile a new homeseerboard1 config file without any errors.

                          Of course not at first...

                          I still had to remove the USB power from the computer and just use an USB phone charger to power the ARDUINO MEGA board. (just like you thought)

                          After that, I plugged it into my network, and within a few seconds, I got it to connect in Homeseer!

                          I would have never considered downgrading the version of software to a point below the suggestion in the instruction pdf file.

                          Thanks again, it's late, got to work in the morning. I will keep plugging away with this stuff tomorrow.

                          Michael
                          FWIW V1.0.0.84, now in the beta section works well with the newest IDE. Now it uses only 3 additional libraries and you don't have to overwrite any of those supplied with the IDE. I installed it a few days ago, downloaded new sketches and libraries. Then I compiled and uploaded the sketches to all 4 Ethernet boards. It hasn't missed a beat and I have had 0 connection issues. I wanted to wait a few days before I posted, now it has been so I think it is safe to use.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            OK, Thanks!

                            I will give it a test soon.

                            I have been distracted from my Arduino Pool controller I am building.

                            When I get back to it, I will try the new BETA version.

                            Michael

                            Comment


                              #29
                              FYI, the Help file now states:

                              "Note: Please only use version 1.6.4 as this is what has been tested and newer builds may brake things."

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by JasonCreager View Post
                                FYI, the Help file now states:

                                "Note: Please only use version 1.6.4 as this is what has been tested and newer builds may brake things."
                                That is if you are running the beta release. It was the newest build when 1.0.0.85 was released last month. The newest IDE is 1.6.5 and was just released. It may or may not work with the plug-in, but it probably will. Greig always puts that disclaimer in the help file because in the past the newer revisions of the IDE has broken the sketches supplied with the plug-in.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X