NOOB alert: Ethernet shield doesn't seem to have IP Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by completelyhis View Post
    It worked for a while, but now it shows disconnected. The device shows up on the network, but the plugin doesn't connect. It did at first, now isn't. I think it stopped connecting when I removed the USB cable. I am powering it externally though, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Should I reset it now that I removed USB?

Ian
    It will not connect by USB when the sketch is configured as IP. Try a hard reset with the button on the board.

The sketch is hard coded with the type of connection as well as the IP address, MAC address and port.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

It worked for a while, but now it shows disconnected. The device shows up on the network, but the plugin doesn't connect. It did at first, now isn't. I think it stopped connecting when I removed the USB cable. I am powering it externally though, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Should I reset it now that I removed USB?

Ian
      You say it shows up on the network - does it show as the correct IP (as configured in the plug-in)? Can you ping the IP successfully?

Comment

Yes correct IP, MAC address and port, didn't try pinging it. Will do that and report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

ping is timing out. should I reset it?
          Plugins:
          BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

ping is timing out. should I reset it?
            If it times out on a ping, then the IP is not connecting at the specified address. I would try resetting the board (with the button on the board). If that still doesn't work and the board is powered with Ethernet lights blinking there has to be something wrong with the sketch or upload. Even without HomeSeer the board will respond to the ping at its address as long as it is powered and connected.

The only other thing could be an IP conflict. Is the address you assigned to the board outside of DHCP or is there anything else that could be at the same IP?

Comment

well now it isn't showing up on the network at all. I know I could google it, but does anyone know the way to reset the board w/the button? (hold down for so long...disconnect power at some point, etc).

the ethernet lights are blinking, but it isn't connecting.

I've held the reset button down for a bit, then let go, then the lights blink again. should I re-upload the sketch? I'm trying to not be discouraged, hoping that ethernet will be more reliable than usb, so far that's not the case.
              Plugins:

Comment

well now it isn't showing up on the network at all. I know I could google it, but does anyone know the way to reset the board w/the button? (hold down for so long...disconnect power at some point, etc).

the ethernet lights are blinking, but it isn't connecting.

I've held the reset button down for a bit, then let go, then the lights blink again. should I re-upload the sketch? I'm trying to not be discouraged, hoping that ethernet will be more reliable than usb, so far that's not the case.
                Just a single press of the button while the board is powered resets the board. You do not need to hold it or mess with the power.

Can you attach your HomeseerBoard1.ino file (assuming you have only one board). Either put it in a zip file or change the name to HomeseerBoard1.txt.

Comment

here's the file, thanks for all your help! foolishly, i set things up to where this is the sole method for heating our house...i've had a lot of unhappy campers recently!
                  Attached Files
                  Plugins:

Comment

i don't know if it helps or not, but i connected the usb, switched to usb for connection type (wasn't able to connect), then back to IP, and it was able to connect again. would love to get to the bottom of this :-)
                    Plugins:

Comment

Sorry I have not been around to help. Work is mad. Have you checked your firewall on the server as this may be the problem.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
                      Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                      X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
                      Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                      Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                      Scripts =
                      Various

Comment

Meaning to make sure the port is open? No I didn't, I'll look into that and report back. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Plugins:

Comment

Working...
                        X