Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eithernet module startup

Hello Graig,

One question with respect to the eithernet module. It seems that there is no way for the module to iniitlaize after powerup unless I press the reset button. Basically Eithernet will not reconnect after power loss unless I reset it manually.

I am not sure if anyone else is having the same behaviour and is there a way to fix that.

Mark

This is not the case on my boards. What type of boards do you have and what version of the plug in are you running.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

I am not experiencing that either, but it was one of the symptoms of the Wiznet clone shields I tried initially. After switching to genuine boards and shields I had no connection issues.

My (now 4) Arduino boards are the one HomeSeer interface that I can really count on. They always "just work".
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        I am not experiencing that either, but it was one of the symptoms of the Wiznet clone shields I tried initially. After switching to genuine boards and shields I had no connection issues.

My (now 4) Arduino boards are the one HomeSeer interface that I can really count on. They always "just work".
        This must be the case. What boards would you recomend?

Regards
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by marekd1 View Post
          This must be the case. What boards would you recomend?

Regards
          Mark
          Just get genuine Arduino Ethernet boards. FWIW I tried one of my Chinese Ethernet clones this weekend on a test setup and it would not connect reliably. I switched to a genuine board and the problem was solved. This was a standard Ethernet board and the Arduino was powered through the barrel connector.

Now I use genuine Arduino Ethernet POE models on all of my production boards and power them with a POE switch.

It is not unusual for the boards to need an initial had reset after the sketch is uploaded, but after that men will always reconnect automatically after a HS restart, board power cycle or network switch reset. If I disconnect an Ethernet cable and reconnect it, the plug-in will instantly reconnect.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            Just get genuine Arduino Ethernet boards. FWIW I tried one of my Chinese Ethernet clones this weekend on a test setup and it would not connect reliably. I switched to a genuine board and the problem was solved. This was a standard Ethernet board and the Arduino was powered through the barrel connector.

Now I use genuine Arduino Ethernet POE models on all of my production boards and power them with a POE switch.

It is not unusual for the boards to need an initial had reset after the sketch is uploaded, but after that men will always reconnect automatically after a HS restart, board power cycle or network switch reset. If I disconnect an Ethernet cable and reconnect it, the plug-in will instantly reconnect.

Where do you get your boards from?

Comment

Originally posted by marekd1 View Post
              Where do you get your boards from?
              You just have to hunt them down. Search for "Genuine Arduino Ethernet Shield". They are more and more difficult to find.

Here is one from Adafruit - a little costly.

Here is one on eBay that is a more reasonable price.

A genuine shield will usually be $25-30. The Chinese clones that are usually problematic are $6-12. You can tell by the Arduino logo silkscreened to the board, they will be marked "Made in Italy" and they will always come in the box as shown in the eBay link.

I picked up my first two at MicroCenter.

Here is how to spot a counterfeit.

Comment

Hi Randy

Long time no talk :-) Finally last night I got my Mega 2560 working with the W5100 chinese clone. I had absolutely no issues. This is exactly the same configuration that I was using 12 months ago and I could not get it working when HS was running on windows.

Also I downloaded the absolute latest Arduino compiler and used the latest libraries..

It all just worked....

I've just bought a bunch of megas and ethernet boards to test in a 4 board config. So far so good

Cheers..Pete
                HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
                  Hi Randy

Long time no talk :-) Finally last night I got my Mega 2560 working with the W5100 chinese clone. I had absolutely no issues. This is exactly the same configuration that I was using 12 months ago and I could not get it working when HS was running on windows.

Also I downloaded the absolute latest Arduino compiler and used the latest libraries..

It all just worked....

I've just bought a bunch of megas and ethernet boards to test in a 4 board config. So far so good

Cheers..Pete
                  Pete;

Good to hear from you as well. I'm glad it is working. My Arduinos have been bulletproof for at least a year. I have 8 of the Chinese Ethernet clones. One of them would never work, one quit working after a few minutes and two others would intermittently disconnect. I marked all of them and have even gone back and tested them at later dates and all four defectives exhibit the same malfunctions.

So, odds (in my case) are 50% the clones are going to be OK, but when 4 out of 8 are bunk, I decided to avoid them. I have corresponded off list with several people who have had similar unreliable connections cured with "Genuine" boards.

If I wasn't counting on two of my boards for critical heating controls, I would probably stick with a working clone, because they are a lot less expensive.

Comment

Hi mate :-)

Well clearly I'm not out of the woods as yet, its been working which is more than I previously achieved. With wireshark I'd see the initial handshaking and then it would go offline so what I've got now far exceeds what I had.

Understand your scenario with the heating, that really needs safety mechanisms built in beyond the arduino to make sure the pipes dont freeze (which I think you have anyway). I was following a guy that built a SPA controller using an arduino and it was interesting the safety (external) mechanisms he used to make sure the heater wouldnt burn out :-)

The original ethernet boards are just crazy expensive for us in Australia. What is actually cheaper would be another raspberrypi acting as an I/O device. A friend did get this to work with python code however he's staying on HS2 so the plugin wont work for me.

If I can get a few months out of this without a disconnect I'll claim victory. I'm 18 hours into it now so its a start :-)

Cheers
                    HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Hi mate :-)

Well clearly I'm not out of the woods as yet, its been working which is more than I previously achieved. With wireshark I'd see the initial handshaking and then it would go offline so what I've got now far exceeds what I had.

Understand your scenario with the heating, that really needs safety mechanisms built in beyond the arduino to make sure the pipes dont freeze (which I think you have anyway). I was following a guy that built a SPA controller using an arduino and it was interesting the safety (external) mechanisms he used to make sure the heater wouldnt burn out :-)

The original ethernet boards are just crazy expensive for us in Australia. What is actually cheaper would be another raspberrypi acting as an I/O device. A friend did get this to work with python code however he's staying on HS2 so the plugin wont work for me.

If I can get a few months out of this without a disconnect I'll claim victory. I'm 18 hours into it now so its a start :-)

Cheers
                      My boiler closet is like an old pinball machine. If one of three Honeywell temperature sensors reach a threshold below what the Arduino should allow, the whole thing goes old school with 24 volt relays, timers, temperature sensors and such. I've gone 18 months on pure Arduino, with the only fail over during planned tests.

Hopefully you get yours to be as reliable.

Comment

Good outcome Randy.

The apartment I plan to live in here in "the outback" doesnt have the heating requirements you have :-) I'm actually interested in the PWM setting to manage some under kitchen bench and stairwell lighting.

I did see a novel use of lighting in the bedroom, a guy had built a frame that sat under the bed (it was on casters) and put strip lighting on it. Add some floor level movement sensors, if you need to get up in the night, put your feet on the floor the soft lights would come on under the bed...I do like this :-)

Must say I do like HS on the RaspberryPI, the whole thing now looks VERY minimal :-)
                        HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Good outcome Randy.

The apartment I plan to live in here in "the outback" doesnt have the heating requirements you have :-) I'm actually interested in the PWM setting to manage some under kitchen bench and stairwell lighting.

I did see a novel use of lighting in the bedroom, a guy had built a frame that sat under the bed (it was on casters) and put strip lighting on it. Add some floor level movement sensors, if you need to get up in the night, put your feet on the floor the soft lights would come on under the bed...I do like this :-)

Must say I do like HS on the RaspberryPI, the whole thing now looks VERY minimal :-)
                          We put a strip of RGB LEDS in a groove I dadoed in the bottom of our basement stairs grabrail. I'm using PWM on it to set levels and colors. It is normally a low (15%) white at night and dim (5%) after bedtime until morning. It gets bright colors for holidays, "Bronco" orange during football games, etc. We have 12 small pagoda lights lining the driveway. I'm going to fit them with "dumb" RGB strips as well. I showed my wife the prototype and it was met with her approval. I'm going to use 6 PWM channels so I can have alternate colors between one light and the next. If it all comes together, I will post photos.

Comment

If its "met with her approval" you are on a winner :-) Post up the photos, will be good to see
                            HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
                            X