Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection Failed every few days-Arduino Hard Crash. Needs a power cycle to reset.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    Originally posted by apluck View Post
    Checking in. I still have the hard crash disconnect issue on one board. I have changed the board, the shield, the PSU. I have moved the onewire to another board. The only thing I haven't changed is the relay board. I am using v142. The other boards are fine and do not crash.

The board seems to crash every week or so in the winter, and less often in the summer. This board is controlling heating and hot water relays which will be switching more often during the winter.

Has there been any more insight in the last 18 months or so? Cheers
    Al,

I had a problem with a relay driving high frequency light fittings that was causing a surge that then caused the boards to crash sometimes. I changed the relay board out to be a solid state relay board and all is well.

Something like this one.

Greig.

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    Checking in. I still have the hard crash disconnect issue on one board. I have changed the board, the shield, the PSU. I have moved the onewire to another board. The only thing I haven't changed is the relay board. I am using v142. The other boards are fine and do not crash.

The board seems to crash every week or so in the winter, and less often in the summer. This board is controlling heating and hot water relays which will be switching more often during the winter.

Has there been any more insight in the last 18 months or so? Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Vincenttor
    replied
    interested how this will go, since i have some sort of 1-wire errors also.
    But it does not crash my board luckily, sometimes i have to reset the board in a few months.

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    I've now separated the board that crashes into 2 boards.

The original board now just does inputs and outputs.
    I have an identical Arduino Ethernet POE board next to it. I've moved the Onewire temp sensing pin across to it.

I'll report back if any of them crash.

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    Well after 3 weeks I had another crash where OneWire stopped working again.

I have 3 temp sensors on that board which measure the top, middle, and bottom of a hot water cylinder.

I had replaced the TOP sensors 3 weeks previously.

This time the bottom sensor errored. I removed the bottom sensor completely and power cycled the board.

A few days later the Middle sensor errored. The bottom sensor was still disconnectioed. Another power cycle.

So still problems with this board and the onewire and don't really know what to do next. I think I'll replace the bottom and middle sensors with new ones and try again.

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    Quick update - Greig looked at the debug log, and found that one of my OneWire sensors was erroring.

I replaced the sensor and that board has now been stable for 2 weeks.

Fingers crossed that the intermittent error that has caused the board to crash every few days for 2 years has been identified and resolved.

I'll give it a couple more weeks then mark as solved if no further errors.
    Good news I hope this was the problem to. If you find that this was causing problems I will need to see if I I can put in something to stop this crashing the boards.

Greig.

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    Quick update - Greig looked at the debug log, and found that one of my OneWire sensors was erroring.

I replaced the sensor and that board has now been stable for 2 weeks.

Fingers crossed that the intermittent error that has caused the board to crash every few days for 2 years has been identified and resolved.

I'll give it a couple more weeks then mark as solved if no further errors.

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    Changed to 9 bit, and the OneWire devices are still in error.

I have not yet "reset" or power cycled the board, because if I do, then I can't debug further. I'll have to wait up to a week to see if it crashes again...

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    Hi Greig,

Debug log attached.

The error occurs at 11 seconds past the minute so 10:42:11

thanks!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    Checking in again to see if any new ideas.

I've been using v129 for a while now.

I still get the board errors every few days on board 2, only now it doesn't seem to fully crash the board. I can still control outputs from HS.

It seems to be related to OneWire. This is what is in the logs repeated up to nine times each minute.

Error = Exception in RecievedRom Value > -100 And Value < 150 : Conversion from string "401792219606000070, value Error " to type 'Long' is not valid.

This carries on until I power cycle the board.
    Can you send me a debug log of when this happens as I can not see how this string is ending up in the Value.

Can you also try changing your one wire resolution to 9-bit as I think I have tracked a but in this that may be causing problems for some users.

Greig.

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    Checking in again to see if any new ideas.

I've been using v129 for a while now.

I still get the board errors every few days on board 2, only now it doesn't seem to fully crash the board. I can still control outputs from HS.

Is it related to OneWire? This is what is in the logs repeated up to nine times each minute.

Error = Exception in RecievedRom Value > -100 And Value < 150 : Conversion from string "401792219606000070, value Error " to type 'Long' is not valid.

This carries on until I power cycle the board.

Just to add, at Greig's suggestion above I tried moving the Onewire sensors onto another board for a couple of weeks. This was before v129. That board did not crash, but the original one which still had relay outputs on it did crash.

I also tried changing the power wiring around, so that the relay board (driven through optoisolators) had separate power from the Arduino.

No change. Still got the crashes.
    Last edited by apluck; January 21, 2017, 05:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• enigmatheatre
    replied
    Checking back in to see if any more ideas on how to resolve this. I'm still getting the hard crash on board 2 every couple of days. Board 3 is still working perfectly. Board 1 has not flagged any disconnects since I upgrade to this version of the plugin. Board 4 has an LCD on it, and has been working perfectly for 6 months. I'm now on version .122.

To recap, for board 2 I've tried using DHCP, tried a new board, tried using separate PSUs for the arduino and the relay board, tried a different ethernet cable, and tried a different ethernet switch.

Any suggestions?
    Al,
    I think I am running out of ideas like you. I have many other users with 3 or more boards that are not having any problems. The only thing I can suggest to try is to change the setup of board 2 and 3 round and see if the problem moves. Swop the IP and port on each board to start the if the fault dose not change then swop the hardware.

Greig

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    Checking back in to see if any more ideas on how to resolve this. I'm still getting the hard crash on board 2 every couple of days. Board 3 is still working perfectly. Board 1 has not flagged any disconnects since I upgrade to this version of the plugin. Board 4 has an LCD on it, and has been working perfectly for 6 months. I'm now on version .122.

To recap, for board 2 I've tried using DHCP, tried a new board, tried using separate PSUs for the arduino and the relay board, tried a different ethernet cable, and tried a different ethernet switch.

Any suggestions?

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    I upgraded to v99, and I'm still getting connection errors on board 1 every few hours that immediately reset.

I think I had the board 2 hard crash again this afternoon. However on v99 the board seemed to stay "connected" but the onewire sensors read "error". Interestingly, I tried resetting the board with its reset button, but this did not recover it. I had to fully power cycle the board.

I have replaced all 3 onewire sensors and simplified the wiring.

I wonder if a onewire sensor is going short circuit or into a funny state causing the Arduino to go into a loop? Reset button presumably doesn't cut the 5v to the sensor, which is why it didn't recover?

Any other suggestions? I could leave the debug log running, but would have to do this for a week, causing a large file.

Leave a comment:

• apluck
    replied
    I am still getting connection errors on board 1. I havent yet an error on board 2, although that can go for a week without errors. Board 3 is working perfectly as usual.

I upgraded to v99, and still see the same issue with board 1 disconnecting.

Any ideas?

Is it worth changing the port the server is listening on from 8888? If so, how could I do that?

cheers,
    Al

Leave a comment:

Working...
X