USB - Ethernet/Network Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB - Ethernet/Network Connection

My plan is to have my Arduino (the first I connect to my current HA setup) in a room separate from my HS Server. I purchased the ethernet shield and plan to run CAT5 from room to room.
    • Is the thought process during setup to attach the Arduino to my HS Server via USB, upload the Sketch, then disconnect and plug into the network? Can I even upload a Sketch through the network?
    • How best to locate the IP address for the Arduino?
    • Do I have to take additional steps to install the shield onto the Arduino or is it just plug and play?

The instructions I have read so far discuss the setup configuration pretty heavily when using USB, but I didn't see much on the ethernet side.

Jim

Originally posted by GadgetBoySI View Post
    My plan is to have my Arduino (the first I connect to my current HA setup) in a room separate from my HS Server. I purchased the ethernet shield and plan to run CAT5 from room to room.
    • Is the thought process during setup to attach the Arduino to my HS Server via USB, upload the Sketch, then disconnect and plug into the network? Can I even upload a Sketch through the network?
    • How best to locate the IP address for the Arduino?
    • Do I have to take additional steps to install the shield onto the Arduino or is it just plug and play?

The instructions I have read so far discuss the setup configuration pretty heavily when using USB, but I didn't see much on the ethernet side.

Jim
    In order to upload a sketch, you must connect the Arduino to the computer running the Arduino software. Then you can unplug the USB and connect it to Ethernet and power. You cannot upload a new sketch over the network.

The only change in the configuration is that you need to assign an open IP address and port to the configuration prior to downloading the sketch. You need to download the appropriate Arduino software and install it. If you are using the newest beta (1.0.0.103) you can use Arduino 1.6.7 from www.arduino.cc. Then download the libraries for the plug-in version from the configuration page and put them in the libraries subfolder under the Arduino software installation. Then upload the sketch. From there it is plug-n-play. You can add, delete or configure pins from within the configuration page without touching the sketch. The only time you will need to upload a new sketch is if it is changed with a plug-in version update.

Comment

Working...
    X