Arduino monitoring at different site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arduino monitoring at different site?

I got thinking after installing my ZNET to replace a Zstick...and the talk of using a ZNET at multiple properties and still communicate with Homeseer. I have another property that has a DSC alarm system that is not connected anymore, could I take the DSC sensors and wire them to an Arduino, plug into a router and then have it communicate with this plugin through HS3? Just a curious thought.

Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
    I got thinking after installing my ZNET to replace a Zstick...and the talk of using a ZNET at multiple properties and still communicate with Homeseer. I have another property that has a DSC alarm system that is not connected anymore, could I take the DSC sensors and wire them to an Arduino, plug into a router and then have it communicate with this plugin through HS3? Just a curious thought.
    Yes I guess you could. You may need to set up a VPN but I can not see why this would not work.

Greig.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Very cool! Thanks for the heads up I figured something like this could be possible.

Comment

Wow this was from literally a year ago. My brother in law wants to start dabbling in automation and I offered to have my HS monitor his cabin and control a few low voltage devices. So has anyone actually set up an Arduino from a remote site?

Within HS I would set up the plugin and download the sketch to the Arduino. I am planning on using a Asus RT-N12 with DDWRT. I would assign a static IP address based on the Mac ID of the Arduino. Set up port forwarding for the Arduino and then set up DDNS. Now that I will be able to access the outside world, how will I get the Arduino HS plugin to search for this device outside the home network? Set this up in the Subnet or Gateway of the plugin?

Comment

Your best bet would be to set up a VPN and not mess around with open ports. Once the tunnel is up, you can either do a L2 connection where the same IP subnet is available at each space or set routs in your routers on both ends. I am doing this using Mikrotik routers for 3 locations using the EnvisaLink plug in

Comment

Working...
          X