Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiegand Access Control - Success

Hi Folks

Well after a few nights of tinkering I've put together an access control/alarm system by using a Wiegand Card reader coupled with an Arduino to enable and disable the alarm from outside.

I'm using the API build for my code, originally on a UNO (USB) and have now moved to an Freetronics "Etherten". I've ordered a small form factor W5100 ethernet board and I hope to put it back on the NANO with ethernet.

I'm currently using a standalone reader with its own outputs and sending the Wiegand output to the arduino. I was thinking I want something standalone in future when its used as a real door lock and HS possibly fails. I've also bought a Wiegand reader with buzzer and LEDs and I'll see if that suits me better as I dont need the door strike output for now.

To activate the "away mode" you press the bell button on the reader and use the keyfob to set it to "home mode". This way I can "AND" the movement detectors in the house and send out alarm notifications via SMS/E-mail. I'm not that fussed on making a siren noise for now though I can send audio announcements to all of my Squeezebox devices in the house via the Squeeze plugin :-)

Has been a great exercise to get this far, I've stared at Greigs code, he's done a great job and the code was surprisingly simple once I sorted the logic in my head :-) This is actually cool !!!

Pete
    HS 2.2.0.11

I wish I had more time to experiment with this, it was on my wish list that I never seam to get to. What are you using for cards and reader formats? ie hid, awid 26 bit?
    https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Just using 26 bit wiegand 125khz stuff, its just so cheap on e-bay. I can receive the card in HEX or DECIMAL format from the library, I've used DECIMAL as its just easy to work with.

Just did a little mod with a tri-state led..

Press bell button, virtual alarm status arms and led via API goes BLUE
      Swipe known card, virtual alarm disarms and led via API goes GREEN.

Think I've used all the available pins on the Arduino :-)

I've bought a bunch of RS-485 bits to try next and move the door reader off the ethernet onto its own "private" path :-) 6 weeks on slow boat from China but dirt cheap !! :-)
      HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Here are a few pictures of the shield I made. Parts I think cost me $4 form china including the voltage regulator. Only gotcha I found was the pin spacing on the headers between D7 + D8, as I only needed D8 and D9 on the 2nd header I bent the pins to make it fit :-)

When the system is disarmed the led is green, when I press the "bell button" on the Wiegand reader it arms the system and the led is blue. Presenting a valid card (stored in HS), the system disarms and the led goes green again.

Was a good learning to build this....next version I hope will be a Nano with ethernet and a much smaller "puck" style reader but the parts are still in transit :-)

Wiegand on Homeseer

Pete
        Attached Files
        HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Nice work. Inspiring me get going with arduino....

Sent from my iPhone
          Tom
          baby steps...starting again with HS3
          HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
          HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
          Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
          In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
          System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

What's the interface to the D1 D0 pins on the reader? Are they TTL levels into a differential amp or something?
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

The arduino levels are TTL..Some of the accessories you get can be 3.3v but mostly all the stuff is 5v.
              HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

This is really great work. Have you thought of using an ESP8266? That may give you the smaller form that you wanted. It would be wireless, but perhaps you could use certificates on both sides to prevent someone from creating a rogue instance and sending "unlock" values to HS.

Comment

Originally posted by rhardcore View Post
                  This is really great work. Have you thought of using an ESP8266? That may give you the smaller form that you wanted. It would be wireless, but perhaps you could use certificates on both sides to prevent someone from creating a rogue instance and sending "unlock" values to HS.
                  I have a wireless unit coming and I do want to give that a try. Also I've built a "power monitor", it counts pules from my smart meter and I want to send it to HS via the plugin..it looks fairly simple to achieve, just waiting for the WIFI device to turn up :-)

Pete
                  HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Working...
                  X