Measure RPM from PWM input (4 wire fan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My apologies if this question has been addressed previously, I wasn't able to find any answers though.

I'm looking to use a 4-wire fan, using a PWM output to control speed (which I assume will be straight forward), but also looking to "read" a PWM input for the purpose of measuring the fan's RPM.

Is there a way to achieve this?

thanks,
    Dave

The easiest way is probably with an Arduino and the Arduino plugin.

Comment

Hi Automated,

I guess I should have added, I have an arduino and the plugin.

I only see that a PWM pin is an output. Inputs seem to be analog or digital (hi/low) only.

Not sure how to process a pwm square wave input.

Thanks,
      Dave

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dhalsall View Post
        Hi Automated,

I guess I should have added, I have an arduino and the plugin.

I only see that a PWM pin is an output. Inputs seem to be analog or digital (hi/low) only.

Not sure how to process a pwm square wave input.

Thanks,
        Dave

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

You would have to use the api sketch. You should be able to find a arduino example of measuring fan speed then use SendToHS to sent it to homeseer

Comment

I wanted to update this thread with what I ended up doing.

As I really just needed to see a confidence return of the fan's speed (and not an exact RPM reading), I chose to design a hardware solution. Using a LM2907N, I took the RPM signal from the fan (not PWM) and converted to a DC level. The LM2907N does most of the work, and converts frequency to voltage. I chose components to roughly give me a range for the frequencies involved to convert to around 0-5vdc. The nice thing is that even when the fan is "off" (aka 0% PWM input), it still spins a bit and thus will still provide a level above 0V. When the fan blades stop by means of finger, or loss of power, the frequency drops to 0, and as a result, 0Vdc after the conversion.

So, I get rough feedback that if X% PMW is applied, X% is returned on the confidence line. IF 0% is experienced, the fan has stopped, jammed or died, an alert is sent.

I've attached my napkin scribble for reference if anyone else is looking to achieve the same.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X