Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dhalsall
    replied
    I wanted to update this thread with what I ended up doing.

As I really just needed to see a confidence return of the fan's speed (and not an exact RPM reading), I chose to design a hardware solution. Using a LM2907N, I took the RPM signal from the fan (not PWM) and converted to a DC level. The LM2907N does most of the work, and converts frequency to voltage. I chose components to roughly give me a range for the frequencies involved to convert to around 0-5vdc. The nice thing is that even when the fan is "off" (aka 0% PWM input), it still spins a bit and thus will still provide a level above 0V. When the fan blades stop by means of finger, or loss of power, the frequency drops to 0, and as a result, 0Vdc after the conversion.

So, I get rough feedback that if X% PMW is applied, X% is returned on the confidence line. IF 0% is experienced, the fan has stopped, jammed or died, an alert is sent.

I've attached my napkin scribble for reference if anyone else is looking to achieve the same.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• AllanMar
    replied
    Measure RPM from PWM input (4 wire fan)

Originally posted by dhalsall View Post
    Hi Automated,

I guess I should have added, I have an arduino and the plugin.

I only see that a PWM pin is an output. Inputs seem to be analog or digital (hi/low) only.

Not sure how to process a pwm square wave input.

Thanks,
    Dave

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

You would have to use the api sketch. You should be able to find a arduino example of measuring fan speed then use SendToHS to sent it to homeseer

Leave a comment:

• dhalsall
    replied
    Hi Automated,

I guess I should have added, I have an arduino and the plugin.

I only see that a PWM pin is an output. Inputs seem to be analog or digital (hi/low) only.

Not sure how to process a pwm square wave input.

Thanks,
    Dave

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Automated
    replied
    The easiest way is probably with an Arduino and the Arduino plugin.

Leave a comment:

• dhalsall
    started a topic Measure RPM from PWM input (4 wire fan)

Measure RPM from PWM input (4 wire fan)

My apologies if this question has been addressed previously, I wasn't able to find any answers though.

I'm looking to use a 4-wire fan, using a PWM output to control speed (which I assume will be straight forward), but also looking to "read" a PWM input for the purpose of measuring the fan's RPM.

Is there a way to achieve this?

thanks,
    Dave
Working...
X