Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob Questions

Hi Guys,

I've been playing with an ADIO-100 for older wired PIRs that were hooked up to an old Homevision unit but, that's died so I need to find a way to get HS3 to "see" the state changes of these PIRs that are everywhere in my house.

There's more than the ADIO can deal with.

I stumbled across a thread that mentioned this plugin and Arduino but I've never been in this world before, usually wire it up, away it goes.

I've had a look about and this seems to be fairy simple for many people but I don't quite understand how I would get a simple PIR wired onto one of these boards. Could anyone explain in the dumbest possible terms as I'm no electronics whizz how to do that and make HS3 see these things please?

The programming side of it seems straightforward enough with this plugin, it looks pretty simple actually once you get the rest up.

I'm asking as, I can nip out and get a Mega board tomorrow, not expensive and hook up all the PIRs fairly quickly, after that it's just making it do what I want I guess.

But I am utterly clueless despite Googling the hell out of this all day as to how you get the PIR high/low to be seen by the ADIO or an Arduino board.

The Arduino is a better solution though, it'll handle all the PIRs I have with plenty to spare and can be run off a USB port rather than messing about with PSUs etc.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

K.

Some questions:
    1.What PIRs are you using
    2.What power do they use
    3.Are they contact closure powered from something else?
    4.What are the contact on the PIR marked as?

This would all make a difference as to how you would connect them but in general the input to the arduino is a contact closure between the assigned pin and ground.

Greig.
    Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
    X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
    Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
    Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
    Scripts =
    Various

Comment

Hi Grieg,

They're a bit of a mixed bag, all are 12V alarm PIRs with a simple contact closure for an occupation detection or alarm if you will.

On the old HV all the power was supplied by one supply to all the PIRs then a digital port for each + on the contact, all the grounds were bunched together.

On the PIRs I've got a 12V +/- to power them then a couple of "Alarm" contacts. They're all pretty much the same deal a bunch of them the Texecom RF Series of PIRs.

Info on them here:

http://www.cstsecurite.com/produits/...20leaflets.pdf

Manual here:

http://www.modernalarm.hu/termekek/Rf360_telepites.pdf

One of the issues I have is, I installed the whole lot about 16 years ago so I've forgotten loads in that time.

This is completely new ground for me, hence asking before I jump in and botch it.

K.

Comment

Good news is this should be very easy to do.

You will need the 12v and ground to the PIRs to power them and then you will need to connect the arduino to the Alarm contact closure points. One side to the Arduino Ground and the other side to the dedicated input pin on the Arduino.

Greig.
        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
        Scripts =
        Various

Comment

Okay, that's great news, I'll go fetch one tomorrow.

I'll figure it out, Id just rather not and it does sound surprisingly simple.

The 12V power, no problem at all.

Hooking up a common ground to all the alarm stuff and each to a pin again, no problem.

Your plugin looks to be pretty easy to configure and from what I gather it's a case of add a pin, assign a function, program what you want beyond that. That being the case, even I can do that!

K.

Comment

Kwatt

I'm using a bunch of PIRS as a virtual alarm system with one arduino reading key fobs to turn the alarm on and off. Its fairly straight forward doing what you are looking to do..

Our power where we live is highly erratic for a "first world city" so I've got it all running on a UPS, the arduinos stay rock solid on ethernet...
            HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Okay, got an Arduino Mega and got it hooked up to test.

Got HV talking to the board okay, that seems fine to me.

Got two pins set up with PIRs to test with.

What I am seeing is seemingly random open and closing or it could be that it's opening then not closing for ages, would that be expected or is it weird?

What I was looking for here was the state change reported to HV in near real time, doesn't have to be absolutely in real time but the loser I can get it the better.

Ta

K.

Comment

No that's weird. It is more than likely pickup on the cables you are using. Are they long runs?
                Greig.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
                Scripts =
                Various

Comment

No not long at all but it is my soldering which, let's just say isn't the greatest of my skills.

I'm waiting on some pre-made cables arriving so I'll try it when they arrive as the cabling being an issue was a thought TBH as sometimes it seems to be working great.

For the purpose of testing I enabled logging the inputs so I can see what's going on and I gotta say that, if the cables do prove to the problem which I think hey may be as well as you, this is going to work like a charm and do exactly what I need.

Thanks

K.

Comment

OK if you get stuck give us a shout and I am sure we can help you through.

Greig.
                    Scripts =
                    Various

Comment

Just so you know, it was indeed my dodgy soldering that was the problem.

All sorted and working like a charm now, thank you very much for the help guys, appreciated.

K.

Comment

Originally posted by kwatt View Post
                        Just so you know, it was indeed my dodgy soldering that was the problem.

All sorted and working like a charm now, thank you very much for the help guys, appreciated.

K.
                        No problems. Glad you got it going.

Greig.
                        Scripts =
                        Various

Comment

Thanks Grieg.

It is very good indeed and works extremely well. I will confess I was a bit skeptical as the old HV way with input ports was very fast to react indeed and this, if it's any slower at all it's such a slight difference you'd be pressed to tell.

If anyone else is looking to use cheap old PIR's for motion detection then lighting actions I'd highly recommend this as a solution based on my experience thus far.

K.

Comment

Working...
                          X