Relay board for use with RaspberryIO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay board for use with RaspberryIO

I found an eight relay PCB. Each relay has a single pole double throw output contacts. The outputs of a RaspberryPi connected to the board's inputs are optically isolated from the relay inputs and will draw no more than about 6ma each. The relay board can be purchased from www.waveshare.com. The product is called a RPi Relay Board (8). The cost is about $23. Works great with the RaspberryIO Plugin. A RaspberryPi 4 can be plugged directly into the board's 40 pin GPIO connector.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Relay.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1353973
    Attached Files

That's a nice relay board. I like the DIN rail mounts on the ends as well. I don't have an application right now where I need 8 relays, but this would be a great irrigation controller.

Comment

Nice 👍🏼

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am going to use the relay board as a sprinkler controller as you mentioned. Perfect fit.

Comment

Originally posted by wmcmath View Post
          I am going to use the relay board as a sprinkler controller as you mentioned. Perfect fit.
          I'm doing the same thing but it will also run my LED Landscape lighting See here.
          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
          Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
          3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
          4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
          3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
          SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

I found a great heatsink/case for a Raspberry Pi 4. You place three small thermal pads on top of the Pi processor and two other chips and then place the two piece heatsink on the Pi. Four screws tighten the heat sink onto the Pi and three raised areas on the heat sink press on the three thermal pads to dissipate heats from the chips. I installed the heatsink on to the Pi I am using with the relay board previously mentioned. The relay board has a female 40 pin connector that the Pi is plugged into and the relay board also has the Pi's GPIO connector pads duplicated on the board next to the 40 pin female connector. I added a male 40 pin header and now still have all of the Pi's pins available for other uses as needed.

The amazon link for the heat sink is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VMD25SK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title Click image for larger version

Name:	HeatSink.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1359784_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            On Amazon, it is called Metal Case for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Case and Heatsink Thermal Adhesive. Cost is $13.99

Comment

Does it work whith HS4?

//jens

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Looking for relay board options.

Has this 8 relay board worked well for you?
                Does this board have the relays "ON" at boot?
                I am using 2 blue boards populated with 4 relays each.
                They work well but I am concerned because they default to "ON" mode when the PI boots up.
                RaspberryIO works great and I have it set to turn all relays off at boot.

Potential Problem, during a power outage or strange reboot where my PI couldn't reconnect with the Windows 10 HS server the relay board would default "ON" turning on my sprinkler for a long time.

I want to say Homeseer and RaspberryIO extremely stable.

SH

Comment

Aren't most relay boards populated with SPDT NO and NC contacts? I think boards should be expected to start with the relay in the non-energized state since if the entire system loses power they will revert to that.

If so, can the opposing contact be used?

I have a 3 relay board on RaspberryIO and it starts in the NC position with relays de-energized. Since I'm controlling garage doors with it, I only energize when I want to trigger the doors, so I use the NO for the wiring and leave NC disconnected.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

My relays default energized on boot.

I was afraid of potential problems but I did a lot of testing after my post and RaspberryIO solves the problem.
                    I powered down Windows HS server and booted RPI alone and relays did not energize.
                    Waited 15 mins and booted HS and RPI and RaspberryIO logged in without and prompting.

RaspberryIO does solve my worries with the "Initial Value" setting in config

I have other projects how reliable have your relays been?

I use a ZWave box to control my garage door and a timer to tell me if it has been left open.

Thanks SH

Click image for larger version

Name:	RaspberryIO.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1434318

Comment

Working...
                    X