Physical HA7E 1-wire connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Physical HA7E 1-wire connection

Been searching the message boards and I can't find any direction for physically installing the 1-wire system. Embedded Data System's message boards are down (http://talk1wire.com/?q=search/node/HA7E).

Can someone give me instruction on which wires to hook up. I saw somewhere that the pins are 3 and 4 on the RJ11 (but I can't remember where i saw it). Just looking for some detailed instructions on how to hook up 10 DS18S20 temperature sensors to one HA7E.

Thanks.

Seth

Introduction to 1-Wire networks

http://www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html
    Last edited by iNc; May 29, 2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Recommendation

Thanks. I bought 10 DS18S20 and the HA7E to run the temp sensors to various rooms around my house. Does this meet the requirements of a small or big network as listed in those instructions? I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook it up.

1. Should I use an external 5V power supply
      2. Can I run it in parallel (star) which would be easiest for me
      3. Can the HA7E handle it or should I have purchased the TEMP08
      4. What is the recommended way to hook up the temp sensors (solder, solder with quick disconnect, crimp, etc)
      5. Does the HA7E automatically connect pins 2,3 to data in the comm port and 2,5 to 5V and ground or will I need to install an adapter (Guessing the HA7E handles this otherwise what do I need it for)

Thanks for the answers.

Seth

Comment

Originally posted by sjaffe
        Thanks. I bought 10 DS18S20 and the HA7E to run the temp sensors to various rooms around my house. Does this meet the requirements of a small or big network as listed in those instructions? I'm trying to figure out the best way to hook it up.

1. Should I use an external 5V power supply
        2. Can I run it in parallel (star) which would be easiest for me
        3. Can the HA7E handle it or should I have purchased the TEMP08
        4. What is the recommended way to hook up the temp sensors (solder, solder with quick disconnect, crimp, etc)
        5. Does the HA7E automatically connect pins 2,3 to data in the comm port and 2,5 to 5V and ground or will I need to install an adapter (Guessing the HA7E handles this otherwise what do I need it for)

Thanks for the answers.

Seth
        Yes, the HA7E can handle it. I have the exact setup (HA7E with 10 DS18S20 sensors). In my house, I noticed my phone cable had 2 unused pairs. I used one of those pairs for my 1-Wire network using parasitic power. I then installed dual phone jacks in every room, then crimped the sensor into an RJ11 plug. I have sensors in the attic, outside and in every room of the house.

When I hooked mine up, there wasn't a lot of how-to's around. If I had to do it over, I probably would use external power or made sure I connected the 3rd pin (Vdd) of the DS18S20 back to ground.

Regards,
        Ultrajones
        Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Good idea

Thanks. Using an RJ11 connector is brilliant. That way, sensors can be replaced without having to solder. And I can troubleshoot easily. Genius. So you think I should add external power?

Also, Ultrajones, can you help me with this post?

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=113429

Thanks,

Seth

Comment

Repost

Originally posted by iNc
              This website is down. Can you repost it here on homeseer?

Comment

This Guy Is Great...

Has a lot of info.

http://www.jon00.me.uk/hs.html

Will fix the last post to show the same.

Comment

Working...
                X