Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with picking a remote thermometer probe

Hi all,

I need a device that has two thermometer probes and can talk to the HS3 box about 20 feet away (two floors down in the basement). Power is no problem, but running a wire for the data would be hard, so i need wireless. I see references to TEMP06, HA7E and MN-ENV-H-THX, but I don't want to buy something that won't work. Any suggestions?

I have a recirculating pump for instant hot water and i can't get the pump on the same time the valve is open. I figured that if i put a thermometer probe on the hot and cold sides of the valve, I would be able to see when to turn the pump on (hot side below 95 degrees), and when to turn off the pump (temperature on cold side stops rising).

Thanks for your help,

Joe

Originally posted by JPStokesSr View Post
    Hi all,

I need a device that has two thermometer probes and can talk to the HS3 box about 20 feet away (two floors down in the basement). Power is no problem, but running a wire for the data would be hard, so i need wireless. I see references to TEMP06, HA7E and MN-ENV-H-THX, but I don't want to buy something that won't work. Any suggestions?

I have a recirculating pump for instant hot water and i can't get the pump on the same time the valve is open. I figured that if i put a thermometer probe on the hot and cold sides of the valve, I would be able to see when to turn the pump on (hot side below 95 degrees), and when to turn off the pump (temperature on cold side stops rising).

Thanks for your help,

Joe
    Would a Z-Wave device work with your setup? I’ve used a few of these Qubino modules and they work well.

Qubino Z-Wave Plus 110-230V or 24-30 VDC On Off Thermostat Module ZMNHID3 with External Temperature Sensor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079J2HZ3Z..._uuG-DbVCB0ZBG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
    Plugin's:
    BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
    EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
    weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

I do have z-wave so this might work. Will it return a temperature to homeseer? Is it one temperature per module?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion.

I do have z-wave so this might work. Will it return a temperature to homeseer? Is it one temperature per module?
        Yes, it returns a temperature as frequently as you’d like based on the settings. It only has one temp sensor but I haven’t found a device with two on one device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
        Plugin's:
        BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
        EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
        weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

The Quibino device suggested by The Profit may be your best bet if it's as responsive as you need. As for the 1-wire route, you'd need this:

2 temp probes
          https://www.amazon.com/Vktech-DS18b2...1SY217XFVFPAHG

1-wire server (wifi version)
          https://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/...n-2_p_152.html

1-wire plugin

The server would allow you to have up to 22 connected 1-wire devices, but that might or might not be an advantage for your situation and may not justify the additional cost.
          -Wade

Comment

I have a hot water recirculating system with one Qubino relay that has a temp probe attached. The system has a return pipe from the farthest point and returns to the drain valve at the bottom of the hot water heater. Just before the drain valve is the pump (Taco 006-B4) that houses the Qubino relay.

Another foot away is a one way flow valve otherwise when someone opens the hot water it can draw from both top and bottom of the tank.

Then about another foot away (three feet from the heater) is the Qubino temp sensor taped to the return pipe. The Qubino reports back to HS3 (twice in fact) so I stopped logging the temp data but it still is captured and used, just not logged.

I use Easytrigger to enable active time and lukewarm time (between the major part of the day. I also use a small zigbee motion sensor in each bathroom that will make the pump come on if someone walks into the bath in the middle of the night.

The only thing you have to deal with setting your temp to trigger the pump to meet your needs and wants. During waking hours, I use 75F since that's all the way back almost to the tank. During midday hours I use 60F. Bottom line, within two seconds of opening any valve in the house I have at least very warm water to wash your hands with. If it's shower time I don't have to let gallons and gallons go down the drain.

The attached screenshot shows the last few days. You can see where it cycles on/off with consistency during waking hours, vs midday vs the overnight.

This might have nothing to do with the way you're trying to do it, but it works perfectly for me. Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 12-18-19 at 07.48 PM.PNG Views:	0 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	1347836

Comment

Thanks for the information. With your help, I found a device that has three temperature sensors in it

I picked up an Embedded Data Systems MN-CTRL-H MeshNet Controller and a MN-ENV-H-THX-2K Temperature/Humidity sensor with 3 probes. I linked the sensor to the controller and I can see the temperatures updating (I only connected 2 probes since that's what I need) in the MeshNet Controller web page.

Ultra1Wire3 detected the MeshNet Controller, but I can't figure out how to get the sensors connected. I only see the devices for the Plug-in and One Wire Sensor Checking (which is enabled).

Anyone know how to get HS3 to see the temperatures from the sensors? I found the plug-in document and it says that the plug-in will automatically find all supported sensors. Maybe this one isn't supported

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the probes are OW-TEMP-B3-12A.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the probes are OW-TEMP-B3-12A.
                  Can you please post the XML output of the MN-ENV-H-THX-2K Temperature/Humidity sensor with at least 2 probes attached? I'll add support for it as quickly as possible.

Regards,
                  Ultrajones
                  Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

I got this from the Embedded Data Systems web interface to the controller. Let me know if this isn't what you need. I had two temperature probes connected, but the second probe doesn't seem to be giving a value - I'm afraid maybe the wires came off one of them. I can check and resent if necessary. I also attached the user manual for the Sensor.

Thanks so much - I really appreciate it.

<Devices-Detail-Response xmlns="http://www.embeddeddatasystems.com/schema/wirelesscontroller" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                    <DateTime>2019-12-22 20:42:58</DateTime>
                    <UpTime>000.21:53:27</UpTime>
                    <DevicesConnected>1</DevicesConnected>
                    <ProductName>WirelessController-Enet</ProductName>
                    <FirmwareVersion>2.32</FirmwareVersion>
                    <DeviceName>WirelessController-Enet</DeviceName>
                    <HostName>EDSWIRELESSCTRL</HostName>
                    <MACAddress>54:10:EC:C8:32:44</MACAddress>
                    <NetKey>39A1C9FB</NetKey>
                    <Channel>25</Channel>
                    <owd_EDS2041 Description="Temperature, Humidity, Discrete Input, and External Probe Support with High Power Radio">
                    <Name>EDS2041</Name>
                    <EUI>801F12FFFE3234BB</EUI>
                    <ControllerRSSI Units="dBm">-38</ControllerRSSI>
                    <Address>1</Address>
                    <Repeater>0</Repeater>
                    <Health>7</Health>
                    <PrimaryValue>24.39 Deg C</PrimaryValue>
                    <UserName Writable="True">EDS Ind. Sensor</UserName>
                    <TimeStamp>2019-12-22 20:42:30</TimeStamp>
                    <Temperature Units="Centigrade">24.39</Temperature>
                    <Humidity Units="Percent">24.72</Humidity>
                    <OW1Value>24.187</OW1Value>
                    <OW2Value>24.562</OW2Value>
                    <OW3Value>-256.000</OW3Value>
                    <OW1Health>3</OW1Health>
                    <OW2Health>0</OW2Health>
                    <OW3Health>0</OW3Health>
                    <OW1DataType>DS18B20</OW1DataType>
                    <OW2DataType>DS18B20</OW2DataType>
                    <OW3DataType>Unknown</OW3DataType>
                    <OW1ROMID>0800000BE2150128</OW1ROMID>
                    <OW2ROMID>B900000B13824528</OW2ROMID>
                    <OW3ROMID>0000000000000000</OW3ROMID>
                    <Input1>1</Input1>
                    <ActivityLatch1>0</ActivityLatch1>
                    <DeviceRSSI Units="dBm">-36</DeviceRSSI>
                    <BufferState>0</BufferState>
                    <BufferHeadPointer>276</BufferHeadPointer>
                    <BufferTailPointer>277</BufferTailPointer>
                    <ReadCounter>2737</ReadCounter>
                    <ActivityLatchReset Writable="True">-</ActivityLatchReset>
                    <SensorReadPeriod Writable="True">3</SensorReadPeriod>
                    <ConnectionCounter>2</ConnectionCounter>
                    <MessageAttempts>2740</MessageAttempts>
                    <MessagePacketRetries>24</MessagePacketRetries>
                    <MessageFailures>1</MessageFailures>
                    <ResetMessageCounters Writable="True">-</ResetMessageCounters>
                    <Battery Units="Volts">3.15</Battery>
                    <InputSend Writable="True">0</InputSend>
                    <FactoryReset Writable="True">-</FactoryReset>
                    <Linked Writable="True">-</Linked>
                    <Version>1.26</Version>
                    <WritesPending>0</WritesPending>
                    <WritesSucceeded>0</WritesSucceeded>
                    <WritesFailed>0</WritesFailed>
                    </owd_EDS2041>
                    </Devices-Detail-Response>
                    Attached Files

Comment

Support for the MN-ENV-H-THX-2K Temperature/Humidity sensor with 3 probes attached was added as of Ultra1Wire3 HSPI version 3.0.7300.19501. It make take HomeSeer a few days to post it to the updater due to the holidays.

Regards,
                      Ultrajones
                      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

The update was just posted. Please install the update and let me know if the sensor and probes are detected.

Comment

I upgraded and verified that 3.0.7300.19501 is running. I didn't see anything happen. I looked in the log and there are only messages about the update being installed.

Here's what the log said (most recent is on top):
                          Dec-27 20:16:45 Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in Ultra1Wire3
                          Dec-27 20:16:45 Starting Plug-In Ultra1Wire3 loaded in 1449 milliseconds
                          Dec-27 20:16:45 Starting Plug-In Plugin Ultra1Wire3 started successfully in 1057 milliseconds
                          Dec-27 20:16:44 Starting Plug-In Initializing plugin Ultra1Wire3 ...
                          Dec-27 20:16:44 Info Plugin Ultra1Wire3 has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:51817
                          Dec-27 20:16:40 Updater Install/Update of package Ultra1Wire3 (1-Wire Environmental Sensors) was successful.
                          Dec-27 20:16:40 Updater Extraction Complete.
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Extracting files from zip file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Updates3\Ultra1Wire3 (1-Wire Environmental Sensors)3.0.7300.19501\images.zip Destination: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\images\hspi_ultra1wire3\
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Extraction Complete.
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Extracting files from zip file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Updates3\Ultra1Wire3 (1-Wire Environmental Sensors)3.0.7300.19501\datatable-images.zip Destination: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\images\
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\css\jquery.dataTables_themeroller. css
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\css\jquery.dataTables.min.css
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\css\dataTables.tableTools.css
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\css\dataTables.editor.min.css
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\images\lens.png
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\images\dragIconH.gif
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\images\dragIcon.gif
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\serial.js
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\jquery.dataTables.min.js
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\hspi_ultra1wire3_devices.js
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\hspi_ultra1wire3_charts.js
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\dataTables.tableTools.min.js
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\dataTables.tableTools.js
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\dataTables.editor.min.js
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\js\amcharts.js
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\Ultra1Wire3_HSPI_Users_Guide.pdf
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\HSPI_ULTRA1WIRE3.exe.config
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Copying file: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\HSPI_ULTRA1WIRE3.exe
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Installing package Ultra1Wire3 (1-Wire Environmental Sensors)
                          Dec-27 20:16:39 Updater Update HSPI_ULTRA1WIRE3.exe downloaded successfully
                          Dec-27 20:16:38 Updater Downloading update: Ultra1Wire3 (1-Wire Environmental Sensors)
                          Dec-27 20:16:38 Updater Starting download of updates
                          So I deleted the Meshnet controller that it had found when i first installed it, stopped the plugin and started it up again. I found the controller again, but I don't see anything about other devices being created and I scanned for new devices and didn't see any. Here's the log:
                          Dec-27 20:22:20 Informational Found OWServer [54-10-EC-C8-32-44], hostname EDSWIRELESSCTRL at IP address 192.168.1.11 on port 80
                          Dec-27 20:22:15 Plug-In Finished initializing plug-in Ultra1Wire3
                          Dec-27 20:22:15 Starting Plug-In Ultra1Wire3 loaded in 1206 milliseconds
                          Dec-27 20:22:15 Starting Plug-In Plugin Ultra1Wire3 started successfully in 928 milliseconds
                          Dec-27 20:22:15 Starting Plug-In Initializing plugin Ultra1Wire3 ...
                          Dec-27 20:22:14 Info Plugin Ultra1Wire3 has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:52362
                          Dec-27 20:22:14 Z-Wave Device: Sensors Garage Temperature Set to 66.2 (F)
                          Dec-27 20:22:14 Z-Wave Device: Sensors Garage Luminance Set to 1 (Lux)
                          Dec-27 20:22:03 Info Plugin Ultra1Wire3 with instance: has disconnected
                          Dec-27 20:22:03 Plug-In Shutting down Plug-In: Ultra1Wire3
                          Dec-27 20:21:52 Warning Delete1WireDevice() removed 1 row(s).
                          Dec-27 20:21:50 Warning File does not exist: C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\html\hspi_ultra1wire3\images\ajax-loader.gif
                          I did see the warning, but didn't think it mattered. I did verify that the file doesn't exist.

The controller is still up and there are three probes connected to the sensor box. Here is what the web interface for the controller sees.
                          Temperature: 76.46 °F
                          Humidity: 28.0 %
                          Probe 1 Health: 3
                          Probe 1 Value: 75.762 °F
                          Probe 2 Health: 3
                          Probe 2 Value: 75.762 °F
                          Probe 3 Health: 3
                          Probe 3 Value: 75.875 °F
                          Input State: High
                          Input Activity: None
                          Input Send Type: On Change
                          Read / Send Data: 1 min
                          Battery: 3.14 V
                          Health: 7
                          Read Counter: 12141
                          Controller RSSI: -34
                          Device RSSI: -34
                          Connection Status:
                          I attached a screenshot of the controller web interface.

Let me know what you want me to try. And thank you for taking time over the holidays to do the update
                          Attached Files

Comment

The issue you reported should be resolved as of Ultra1Wire3 HSPI version 3.0.7301.22041. I don't expect HomeSeer to publish the update until next week.

Regards,
                            Ultrajones

Comment

Ok, thanks. I'll watch for the update.

Comment

Working...
                              X