No announcement yet.

My 1-Wire Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Pete! I was considering the same thing until I came across the Embedded Systems that Ultrajones posted about. I have all my home wired with LOTS of CAT 5e back to a wiring closet and it seems that the Embedded Systems equipment does well for this setup.

I am just wanting to terminate and finish everthing out as clean and neatly as possible. Photos of people's closets and how wires are run would help. I am going to plywood the back of the closet and put a few 42" structured wiring cabinets on the plywood wall.

Thanks for the info!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Jean-Marie G. Vaneskahian
    jean@vaneskahian.com
    ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

The Embedded systems 1-wire set up that Ultrajones is using is very nice. I was suggesting that you utilize structure wiring / patch panels for the 1-wire cabling and fitting same said cabling to patch panels in the same structured cabinet for ease of configurations etc. This for a uniformity relating to just the 1-wire cabling.

Today in the MW I only have one 42" structured panel. If I were doing it over again I would have probably three. In FL I had only one wall in one closet a bit bigger than the structured panel so I stacked multiple smaller structured panels from ceiling to almost floor.

In the MW I have all of the structured wiring / HA stuff on plywood but only the 1-wire, some network (with a 24port switch) and HA telephone stuff in the one 42" structured panel and its too full right now.

The RG6 is all going to a different section of plywood. It is a mixture though of satellite (Dish and DirectTV), OTA and cable. Here to are legacy RG6 cables with power for the security cams (legacy but utilizes a large footprint) with power et al.

Another section is just audio with speaker wiring and Cat5E going to it. So related to just patch panels I have separate runs / sections of patch panels. I utilized 14/16 guage 2 pair PVC jacketed speaker wiring all over the house. This "stuff" is more flexible than RG-6 but the wires are very thick. (12 zones of speaker wires plus 12 cat5e cables for controls).

IE: where the "server" rack is I have another patch panel and that goes to a patch panel by the structured wiring panel.

You could also just have one dedicated to cat5e/cat6 patch panel in one area and separate out the functions per row / columns of the cat5e/cat6 so that all of your house wiring ended up at a patch panel. More is better. I went with different colors for different functions to help me a bit. It really though doesn't matter.

The infrastructure that you put in or utilize are the most important parts of your endeavor relating to what you will want to do in the future.

There's a number of FAQ's, wiring diagrams, etc for home automation stuff / SOHO stuff on CT which I would recommend reading. There are many pictures there too of various endeavors.

http://cocoontech.com/portal/
      Last edited by Pete; February 15, 2012, 12:59 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Getting Started

Really disappointed with my Oregon wireless sensors, which seem to shut off under extreme cold/heat (when I need them most), so decided I'd go wired and 1-wire seems to be the way to go. Want to check my thinking.

Initially, I want 3 "lines" with 2 sensors on each

Seems this plug-in and OWServer is a good way to go.

From what I can gather, I hook up the server to network, install plug-in, run 1 cable to each pair of sensors, and the devices will be discovered.

Did I miss anything?

Where do you all buy your 1-wire gear from? embedded data systems says: "Availability: 3 in stock. Units on hold for new feature release."

Would like to get delivered by 24th if possible.

Any benefit in DS18B20 over D18S20 (1 degree F accuracy is Ok for me)

Regards

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
        HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
        2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
        USB UIRT
        Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
        WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
        HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
        HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
        2GIG Thermostat
        BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
        BLUPS
        UltraLog (SQL2008)
        Jon00 Plugins
        Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
        Global Cache IP2IR
        Foscam FI8918W

Comment

I was reading this http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-n...dex.mvp/id/148

and it says:

The most successful implementation of this concept uses 150Ω resistors at each point where a stub is connected to the main trunk. This value reduces the mismatch at the connection point by about 20%, and attenuates the resulting stub reflections by about 40%. However, the added resistance also degrades noise immunity by about 80%, so caution must be observed. Tests have also shown good performance using 100Ω resistor values, which do not degrade noise immunity quite as much.
          Do any of you guys use resistors for the stubs?

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
          USB UIRT
          HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
          2GIG Thermostat
          BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
          BLUPS
          UltraLog (SQL2008)
          Jon00 Plugins
          Global Cache IP2IR
          Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
            I was reading this http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-n...dex.mvp/id/148

and it says:

Do any of you guys use resistors for the stubs?
            I use the EDS JB6 1-Wire Junction box. The JB6 contains circuitry that reduces the impedance mismatch at each branch, and also reduces the amplitude of the reflected energy. I believe this "circuitry " is similar to having a resistor installed for each branch.

Regards,
            Ultrajones
            Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

The design provided by DallasSemiconductor was a DS2409 which is a routing switch. This electrically isolates each branch. Hobby-boards.com provides a 6 channel version of this 1-wire hub. I use two of these in my setup to provide 12 branches. EDS does not have the software logic to support this device.

Comment

Hi Guys

I'm installing a 1-Wire bus from an OW-Server 2. There will be one run from each port and each run will have 6-12 sensors. I'm using these:

http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-DS18b20.../dp/B00CHEZ250

I'd like to do it in such a way that I can attach the sensor to an RJ45 plug instead of having to connect the wires from bus-in, sensor, and bus-out. Like this: http://www.jon00.me.uk/images/1wirebus.gif

I'm doing this today by twisting the in/out/sensor wires together and then soldering the joint for reliability and then covering with heat shrink. (Guess I could use wire nuts, but never had good experiences with thin cables.)

This method works, but it's a pain if I want to add, replace or move a sensor.

What I'd like to do is to connect the incoming and outgoing wires from the bus to an RJ45 socket and then simply plug in the sensor (RJ45 connected to stub wires). (All sockets will be populated.)

Wondering if there's an easy way to do this

Regards

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                USB UIRT
                HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                2GIG Thermostat
                BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                BLUPS
                UltraLog (SQL2008)
                Jon00 Plugins
                Global Cache IP2IR
                Foscam FI8918W

Comment

I have used this product with WebControl for single point measurement. My memory is that the wire is stranded and heavier gauge that what is seen in Cat 5. I have seen 1-wire systems from China where stereo audio plugs are used and this technique may work for you.

I would be concerned with creating a "T" bus structure with several 3 foot legs. You may want to consider adding damping resistors in each connector off of the main line to reduce reflections.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
                    Hi Guys

What I'd like to do is to connect the incoming and outgoing wires from the bus to an RJ45 socket and then simply plug in the sensor (RJ45 connected to stub wires). (All sockets will be populated.)
                    Hi Mark, I have done something similar in the past. I used a Leviton 1x9 Bridged Telephone Module, then punched down the main wire from the OWServer to the Leviton 1x9 Bridged Telephone Module, then punched down the wires for each of the 8 legs, then used standard networking jacks and rj6 plugs to connect my sensors. I think this type of setup may still require damping resistors on each leg.

I have also used the Embedded Data Systems JB6 which has built in damping resistors for each of the 8 ports.

Regards,
                    Ultrajones
                    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Question re: Picture from first post

Do you have the sensor plugged directly in to the RJ11 port? If so I guess the spacing pin out works this way or am I confused?

Comment

Originally posted by Hittr View Post
                        Do you have the sensor plugged directly in to the RJ11 port? If so I guess the spacing pin out works this way or am I confused?
                        Yes, I simply pushed the sensor into the RJ11 connector and crimped it. It doesn't matter which of the pins the sensor occupies as long as you wire it up in the jack correctly.

Regards,
                        Ultrajones

Comment

So cool

I'm sorry but that is so cool. Defitely gonna change my 1-wire plans!

Comment

Ultrajones,

can you comment on how important it is for a 1-wire star network to have all the same length runs and cable types?
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
                            X