Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1-wire Contact Sensor

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1-wire Contact Sensor

    Hi Guys

    I have 3 float switches that monitor my sump level. These are currently connected to DS10a (which I hate with a vengeance). I'm just starting with 1-wire and environmental sensors., and I'd like to get rid of X10 altogether and replace these with 1-wire sensors. Is there some kind of contact sensor available (that's supported by the plug-in)?

    Ultimately, I hope use some kind of true level sensor and use the DS2438 for A/D conversion, but in the short term, I'd just like contact open/closed.


    Regards

    mark
    ________________________

    Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W

  • #2
    Re: 1-wire Contact Sensor

    Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post

    Ultimately, I hope use some kind of true level sensor and use the DS2438 for A/D conversion


    Regards

    mark
    I would like to have the same but with pressure sensors. The best I have thought of to date is to use multiple pressure switches on a manifold. Each switch have a different N/O or N/C psi, thus giving a ball park range of where the pressure would be.

    In your case u would just use multi floats with switches, irrigation rain sensors, HA water sensors all of which would be set at diff heights. In this case u might just need three switches to represent status such as Good, Warning, and Emergency

    Accuracy would be dependent of how wide the monitored range would be and also the accuracy needed. Obviously the larger of either would require more switches and thus driving cost up.

    I haven't found something that would either convert an analog signal voltage to an actual value or a digital sensor.

    If you find anything more please do post back.



    Sent from my 09l_v77_gq1008_a41_v20 using Tapatalk
    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
      Ultimately, I hope use some kind of true level sensor and use the DS2438 for A/D conversion, but in the short term, I'd just like contact open/closed.
      Mark: have you looked at the DS2406? It works as either a one port input or output device. The DS2438 might actually work better for you if you connect the 3 contacts across various resistors in series with a power source. Then you could use the resulting voltage to determine which of the contacts are open or closed.

      Mitch
      http://www.midondesign.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Midon View Post
        Mark: have you looked at the DS2406? It works as either a one port input or output device. The DS2438 might actually work better for you if you connect the 3 contacts across various resistors in series with a power source. Then you could use the resulting voltage to determine which of the contacts are open or closed.

        Mitch
        Thanks Mitch

        looks like the DS2406 might do the trick and it's supported by UltraJones's plug-in.
        ________________________

        Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
        HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
        2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
        USB UIRT
        Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
        WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
        HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
        HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
        2GIG Thermostat
        BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
        BLUPS
        UltraLog (SQL2008)
        Jon00 Plugins
        Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
        Global Cache IP2IR
        Foscam FI8918W

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
          I would like to have the same but with pressure sensors. The best I have thought of to date is to use multiple pressure switches on a manifold. Each switch have a different N/O or N/C psi, thus giving a ball park range of where the pressure would be.

          In your case u would just use multi floats with switches, irrigation rain sensors, HA water sensors all of which would be set at diff heights. In this case u might just need three switches to represent status such as Good, Warning, and Emergency

          Accuracy would be dependent of how wide the monitored range would be and also the accuracy needed. Obviously the larger of either would require more switches and thus driving cost up.

          I haven't found something that would either convert an analog signal voltage to an actual value or a digital sensor.

          If you find anything more please do post back.



          Sent from my 09l_v77_gq1008_a41_v20 using Tapatalk
          Thanks Charlie

          Right now I have 3 float switches. One is just below the height of float switch for main pump, one just below height of float switch of backup pump and one a few inches from top (panic mode). So the first float gets opened when the water rises close to where the main pump triggers. When the main pump actually triggers and empty the pit, that closes. From this I can infer that the main pump has run and collect stats about how frequently it runs. I can also display in HSTouch a water level of none, low, med, high, based on which switches are open. Works really well, but would be easier if I could just monitor water level directly. I'd then use a CT (or something like that) to determine pump running.

          I was thinking of something like this:

          http://lowpowerlab.com/blog/2013/04/...teino-hc-sr04/

          or this

          http://pompie-arduino.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

          to measure water level

          I used moteino to build some wireless tail lights and top light for a friend's motorcycle jacket. I was going to use IP or RS232 for the comms. Several people seem to use the DS2438 with a humidity sensor which--from what I can gather-- simply uses the DS2438's A/D converter.

          That said, using the second method above may be easier. Instead of using a string of resistors and A/D conversion, I could stagger the height of 10 separate resistors, so that as the water got higher, circuits are successively closed. 10 x DS2406's would only cost about $25.

          My only concern would be corrosion over time. If I made it easy to replace the resistors, swapping them out every year wouldn't be too hard
          ________________________

          Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
          HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
          2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
          USB UIRT
          Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
          WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
          HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
          HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
          2GIG Thermostat
          BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
          BLUPS
          UltraLog (SQL2008)
          Jon00 Plugins
          Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
          Global Cache IP2IR
          Foscam FI8918W

          Comment


          • #6
            Mark,

            Seems someone has already but a multi contact switch setup for a sump pump.

            Heres his web link and I also like his idea of roof leak sensors.

            http://www.sage-software.com/index.p...p-pump-monitor

            However, I still desire to run sensors and not switches. Once I get caught up with things I will look further into Micheal's suggestions.,
            HSPro: 3.0.0.194
            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
              Mark,

              Seems someone has already but a multi contact switch setup for a sump pump.

              Heres his web link and I also like his idea of roof leak sensors.

              http://www.sage-software.com/index.p...p-pump-monitor

              However, I still desire to run sensors and not switches. Once I get caught up with things I will look further into Micheal's suggestions.,
              I have almost exact same setup, (using X10 DS10a's, which I detest: only X10 I have except for a mini remote).



              I wanted to get rid of the X10 stuff so figured I'd use Arduino, then I came across Netduino. I figured rather than having just 3 level sensors, why not get a reasonable accurate water level with ultrasonic sensor ($6)? This will all run off the backup pump's battery.

              I decided to add a local LED indicator so you didn't need a device to see the level if you were in basement (sump is in laundry room). I'll keep the float switches until I have current sensors on my AC and DC pumps hooked up.

              Regards

              Mark
              ________________________

              Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
              HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
              2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
              USB UIRT
              Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
              WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
              HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
              HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
              2GIG Thermostat
              BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
              BLUPS
              UltraLog (SQL2008)
              Jon00 Plugins
              Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
              Global Cache IP2IR
              Foscam FI8918W

              Comment


              • #8
                I just realized I hadn't enlightened the group about my plans, so now I understand Charlie's latest reply.

                I abandoned the idea of 1-wire contact sensors (will still use for temp, etc.).

                I've almost finished a deluxe netduino-based sump monitor. it will monitor water level in real-time, show level on tri-color LED strip (changing color at specific thresholds) and send message to HS (probably every 30-60secs) with current level and pump statistics. This will update existing virtual devices. I've built most of it, just waiting for a TTL to RS232 converter. Will post details when done

                Regards

                Mark
                ________________________

                Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
                2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
                USB UIRT
                Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
                WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
                HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
                2GIG Thermostat
                BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                BLUPS
                UltraLog (SQL2008)
                Jon00 Plugins
                Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
                Global Cache IP2IR
                Foscam FI8918W

                Comment

                Working...
                X