Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double announcement

Spud,

Enjoyed bench testing the PI yesterday. All in all went well and as advertised. The timelag between the event call and the announcement was consistently about 1/2 second.

After testing a few things I powered down the Airport Express I was testing with. Got a call this morning from my wife and reported that all announcements to the default HS queue were being spoken twice. I disabled the PI and all is well on the home front. With that said I am not 100% sure that was not happening while I was testing as I don't have any devices in my workshop that I would have heard.

I will wait till you get a version for the non-express devices to play some more.

Chris

Chris, thanks for the testing!

For the announcements being spoken twice, you probably have another plugin acting as a Speak proxy so that Airplay plugin and this other plugin are both forwarding the announcements to the HS speaker clients.

I see in your signature you use Dirk's SONOs PI, could you try to disable it temporarily and enable Airplay Speak PI to see if my theory is right?

If I'm right, I can add a switch in the config screen to NOT forward announcements to the HS speaker clients. (is there such a thing in Dirk's SONOs PI?)

Comment

I am out of town and resist playing due to the low WAF when I do. But with that said I will give it a go on Saturday and report in.

There is a proxy flag in the SONOS config and I will play around with it as well.

Chris

Comment

Picked up a 2nd hand Airport express of eBay and just tested this great plugin.

I've created a test event and set it to speak to just the bedroom airplay device but it seems to come through my pc running homeseer speaker and my hstouch client on my mobile as well. It plays via the Airplay device first and then a second or so after plays through the pc and phone.

I don't have the sono plugin installed. I have the iTunes plugin installed if this could effect it?

Comment

Originally posted by djmilez View Post
          Picked up a 2nd hand Airport express of eBay and just tested this great plugin.

I've created a test event and set it to speak to just the bedroom airplay device but it seems to come through my pc running homeseer speaker and my hstouch client on my mobile as well. It plays via the Airplay device first and then a second or so after plays through the pc and phone.

I don't have the sono plugin installed. I have the iTunes plugin installed if this could effect it?
          It's a bug! Nice find!
          It will be fixed in the next version that I'm going to release very very soon.

Here is a workaround for the current version: if you want to set it to speak to just a device called "AirPort Bedroom", set the host field as "AirPort Bedroom, Dummy", where Dummy is a hostname that does NOT exist in your network.

Note: it's not the same problem as the "double annoucement" issue reported by dcdelong.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. Tested with a dummy host all ok and fixed issue.
            I'm counting about 4-5 seconds from running the event before the anything comes through the speaker. Any ideas what could be slowing this down?

Comment

Originally posted by djmilez View Post
              I'm counting about 4-5 seconds from running the event before the anything comes through the speaker. Any ideas what could be slowing this down?
              Are you trying to play a music file or a text to speak?
              If text, how long is the text? Any difference if you try something shorter?
              If music file, do you have the same delay if you try to play the same file to the Airport using iTunes?

Comment

The test is with some text about 5 words long.
                I havent tried with audio file as yet, i will try and do same with itunes and compare delay and report back hopefully tomorrow when the babe isnt sleeping!

Comment

Spud,

Sorry for the delay in reporting back. I disabled the SONOS plugin and enabled the AIRPLAY and the double announcement cleared up, just as you thought.

A switch to toggle the proxy might just be the answer.

I will load the newest version this week-end and play a bit more as I have a couple of Apple TV's and a Pioneer Amp that is airplay enabled as well.

Chris

Comment

I have added the switch in version 1.1.0.4. You can download it from the Beta testing thread: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=158908

Comment

Working...
                    X