Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multiple xap 800 units

Quick Quesiont (i hope)

I have one xap 800 Unit address 0 connected to com port 5 on my system.

BLAudioMatrix works well.

I want to add an additional XAP800.. with unit address 1.

Can i connect the second XAP800 to the first through the GLINK (Cat5) cable.. or do i have to connect to it with a separate serial port?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.
    Regards,

Andrew B.

If you want to use both XAP's as a single entity then use the glink cable. If you use a second com port then those 2 XAP's aren't aware of each other.
    - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Thanks... if I use the glink cable, how do I tell the plugin if I want to control unit 1 or unit 2?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      Regards,

Andrew B.

Comment

Sorry, I don't know the plugin. I control these boxes with my own vbscript.
        - Bram

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
        HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

How are these units for actually switching music instead of voice? It really doesn't look like the system is optimized for that purpose, but a cheap HS controllable audio matrix switch could be super helpful for a lot of uses.

Thx
          mike

Comment

They are excellent for switching music. The freq. range is up to 20KHz. I use them for years now as an music/announcement/VR system here.

Look at these pages for more info
            Ps, Look in the side menu on the right for the HS3 version which is able to control multiple units
            - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Interesting. My goal is to feed a multiroom distribution system with a set of Chromecast audio devices, going to a set of distribution amplifiers as a whole house audio system, with the ability for homeseer to use the system for announcements, as well as be able to switch the inputs from the chromecast to the audio to TV audio in rooms where TV's and the WHA speakers are both present.

Can all of the inputs be used for line level audio? I guess I could build a PCB that could house the connectors that plug into the XAP and go to RCA and mini plugs connectors for talking to the Chromecasts and other devices and make it all pretty neat.

Getting line level out and IR from the TV and getting it to the central hub where the amps are is easy, but volume control is a challenge. Ideally I'd have the TV remote control IR signals drive volume up/down. I assume the XAP can adjust volume, but I'd have to program HS to receive the IR commands and then command the XAP to adjust volume. How quick do you think that process can happen?

Also, what is the total delay going through the XAP? I don't want lipsync issues with TV audio.

One more question, can the XAP detect audio coming from a Chroemcast or other source, and trigger something that could be used to switch the amplifier on? It would save energy that way. How much does the XAP draw?

Also, when stacking these units, can I still switch any in to any out, even if the ins and outs are on different units?

Thanks!
              Mike

Comment

Sorry i missed your post.
                Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post
                Can all of the inputs be used for line level audio? I guess I could build a PCB that could house the connectors that plug into the XAP and go to RCA and mini plugs connectors for talking to the Chromecasts and other devices and make it all pretty neat.
                Yes you can but the mic inputs are more sensitive. You need to change those in the menu to the correct sensitivity.

I assume the XAP can adjust volume, but I'd have to program HS to receive the IR commands and then command the XAP to adjust volume. How quick do you think that process can happen?
                The XAP can adjust the volume at different point in the proces. The XAP is rather fast but the response time is depending on the whole chain that processing the IR signal. It can be instantly or fast enough to not hear a pause.

Also, what is the total delay going through the XAP? I don't want lipsync issues with TV audio.
                You will not notice any delay but you can put in a delay in the signal it process. This is to make 2 speakers that are fare apart sound oke without an echo.

One more question, can the XAP detect audio coming from a Chroemcast or other source, and trigger something that could be used to switch the amplifier on? It would save energy that way. How much does the XAP draw?
                It can do that but it will cost you a mic input to use. You can put a threshold on the mic level and when the input gate you can give a signal back to HomeSeer or anything else you connect to the DB connector on the back. The XAP draw about 15W.

Also, when stacking these units, can I still switch any in to any out, even if the ins and outs are on different units?
                Yes you can.
                Please get the manual of the XAP800 unit and have a look. You will get more ideas to implement that you have time at hand....
                - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Ashairey,

Thanks for the comments! Replies inline:

Yes you can but the mic inputs are more sensitive. You need to change those in the menu to the correct sensitivity.

Ok, good to know. Do you have a suggestion for what numbers should work, or should I just try and play with it? If I am using the balanced inputs meant for mics for normal line level inputs from a Chromecast, is the correction purely settings on the XAP800, or do a I need a circuit to manage it?

To enable this to work, I expect the chromecast to control volume by modulating the line level output. In your experience, what settings do I need to make this work well.

When feeding TV audio in at fixed level, the xap800 would need to control the volume, and when switching back to the chromecast go back to though passthrough settings. This seems pretty straightfoward, but I am unfamiliar with how the xap800 needs to be configured to make all that work.

The XAP can adjust the volume at different point in the proces. The XAP is rather fast but the response time is depending on the whole chain that processing the IR signal. It can be instantly or fast enough to not hear a pause.

Sounds like I should just get one and try out the chain. The serial port shouldn't be an issue I think if the xap800 is fairly fast about the changes.

You will not notice any delay but you can put in a delay in the signal it process. This is to make 2 speakers that are fare apart sound oke without an echo.

Ok, sounds like the XAP800 doesn't add much delay at all, which is the part I was worrying about - audio processing sometimes causes delays, which is why I asked.

It can do that but it will cost you a mic input to use. You can put a threshold on the mic level and when the input gate you can give a signal back to HomeSeer or anything else you connect to the DB connector on the back. The XAP draw about 15W.

I don't quite understand this. From the manual, it looks like inputs 1-8 can be at line level or mic level, and can be gated. Inputs 9-12 are line level exclusively, but it looks like the same processing can be done there as on 1-8. Is that right?

The db25 has a bunch of output pins which look like they can be programmed somehow. Can you get them to go high when any of a selected number of inputs indicate sound? That could trigger a relay to switch the amp on.

How does this burn a mic input?

Yes you can.
                  Please get the manual of the XAP800 unit and have a look. You will get more ideas to implement that you have time at hand....

Cool, yes, it looks like a full audio passthrough, which is quite impressive. Do I need a special cable between the XAP800's, or can I use a CAT5 patch cable?

And one more question - where is the best place to buy phoenix connectors that plug in the back of the xap800? Do you have a part number I can find at Mouser or a place like that?

Thanks very much!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post
                    Ashairey,
                    Ok, good to know. Do you have a suggestion for what numbers should work, or should I just try and play with it? If I am using the balanced inputs meant for mics for normal line level inputs from a Chromecast, is the correction purely settings on the XAP800, or do a I need a circuit to manage it?
                    If you use the configuration software for the XAP800 you can set the gain on each and every input, output or cross point. The figure out the right level you can turn on the VU meter bars on each input or out put. If the sound level isn't going in the red zone then things are oke.
                    I urge you to get and read the manual. Most people hate that but it will answer all your questions better then i can...

To enable this to work, I expect the chromecast to control volume by modulating the line level output. In your experience, what settings do I need to make this work well.
                    See above answer

When feeding TV audio in at fixed level, the xap800 would need to control the volume, and when switching back to the chromecast go back to though passthrough settings. This seems pretty straightfoward, but I am unfamiliar with how the xap800 needs to be configured to make all that work.
                    You can control each input, output, processor and cross point with serial commands. If there are more commands then you can combine them in a macro or on an even larger scale you can just switch presets.
                    Again get the manual.

Ok, sounds like the XAP800 doesn't add much delay at all, which is the part I was worrying about - audio processing sometimes causes delays, which is why I asked.
                    The delay can't be high if you consider that you can feed in a mic signal with your voice and the sound of the radio in the background. On another channel you can feed in the line output of that radio. The XAP can substract those two (or more) signals and you get on the output only your voice..

I don't quite understand this. From the manual, it looks like inputs 1-8 can be at line level or mic level, and can be gated. Inputs 9-12 are line level exclusively, but it looks like the same processing can be done there as on 1-8. Is that right?
                    Correct input 1-8 are ment for mic's but can be used als line level input also. Input 1-8 have special functions that the other inputs do not have. However you can also make use of processors. These come after the inputs as seen in the flow diagram. That means that you can that you can do volume controle there also. The XAP has surely to many options for to control to be an simple device. Most people struggle with this. To much control

The db25 has a bunch of output pins which look like they can be programmed somehow. Can you get them to go high when any of a selected number of inputs indicate sound? That could trigger a relay to switch the amp on.
                    There are 2 DB connectors. One has already assigned often used functions to it. The other can be setup as you desire

How does this burn a mic input?
                    I don't understand this question and in relation to what?
                    To much input on a mic input will make it clip...
                    Cool, yes, it looks like a full audio passthrough, which is quite impressive. Do I need a special cable between the XAP800's, or can I use a CAT5 patch cable?
                    It is a special cable and for longer runs you need the terminators too. However on the internet you find how to wire such cable yourself. I was lucky to get a cable when i ordered 2 units from the same seller.

And one more question - where is the best place to buy phoenix connectors that plug in the back of the xap800? Do you have a part number I can find at Mouser or a place like that?
                    Contact the seller and ask to include a few of the connectors. I got another unit (i got 3 of them) with all phoenix connectors plugged it it.

- Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
                      If you use the configuration software for the XAP800 you can set the gain on each and every input, output or cross point. The figure out the right level you can turn on the VU meter bars on each input or out put. If the sound level isn't going in the red zone then things are oke.
                      I urge you to get and read the manual. Most people hate that but it will answer all your questions better then i can...

See above answer

You can control each input, output, processor and cross point with serial commands. If there are more commands then you can combine them in a macro or on an even larger scale you can just switch presets.
                      Again get the manual.

The delay can't be high if you consider that you can feed in a mic signal with your voice and the sound of the radio in the background. On another channel you can feed in the line output of that radio. The XAP can substract those two (or more) signals and you get on the output only your voice..

Correct input 1-8 are ment for mic's but can be used als line level input also. Input 1-8 have special functions that the other inputs do not have. However you can also make use of processors. These come after the inputs as seen in the flow diagram. That means that you can that you can do volume controle there also. The XAP has surely to many options for to control to be an simple device. Most people struggle with this. To much control

There are 2 DB connectors. One has already assigned often used functions to it. The other can be setup as you desire

I don't understand this question and in relation to what?
                      To much input on a mic input will make it clip...
                      It is a special cable and for longer runs you need the terminators too. However on the internet you find how to wire such cable yourself. I was lucky to get a cable when i ordered 2 units from the same seller.

Contact the seller and ask to include a few of the connectors. I got another unit (i got 3 of them) with all phoenix connectors plugged it it.

I have an 800 and a 400 that I'd like to link together. So far I haven't found any info online on making my own G-Bus terminator. TH2/XAP800 (G-LINK TERMINATOR) Expansion Bus Terminator (x1) Part No. 830-150-003

Could you point me in the right direction?
                      Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X