Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume Control Through Alexa

Has anyone tried to do this?

I have an AVR-X4000. No problem controlling video inputs through Alexa via an event. All the other controls work fine through HS3, HSTouch, events, and scripting.

I can't get Alexa to recognize Z1Volume device, so I created a virtual device mimicking the BLDenon volume control, then I linked the two devices. Alexa found that just fine, but when I try to use it ie: "Alexa, TV Volume 50", both device sliders and the receiver volume get set to zero.

I've tried both volume scales (-80.5 dB to + 18 dB and 0 to 98) but they both give the same results.

This would help me greatly with the wife approval factor in a big way! Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff

No one has any thoughts?

Comment

Let me check the plugin and see if possible the control use is not set for the volume device
      That could be why Alexa is not finding it
      Can you log a help desk ticket on my web site for this so I can track it

Thanks
      Cheers,
      Bob
      Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Ticket #0001167 submitted, thank you!

Comment

Hi

Did you ever end up solving this? I use BLMarantz to control my Marantz AV receiver. I can make the volume appear in the Alexa devices list if I set the Control Use for the Marantz's Volume Device to "Dim". It then shows in Alexa as a dimmable light, but no matter what brightness level I select in the Alexa app the volume gets set to 0.

I also tried just creating a virtual device and tried various different Control Use settings. If Control Use is set to Dim, DimFan, HeatSetPoint or CoolSetPoint the device is discovered by Alexa (as either a dimmable light, a variable power outlet, or a thermostat respectively), but whenever I try to control that device I cannot set its value using Alexa. It depending on the Control Use set it either does nothing, or goes to 0.

Thanks

Comment

Just thought I'd post an update as I managed to get this working in case it is of use to anyone else.

Under the Marantz Volume device (BLMarantz plugin) --> Status/Graphics tab, I made a separate entry for 0 (Off) and another entry for 1-99 (Dim). I left the other default settings for increasing volume (101) and decreasing volume (102). Once this was done, the volume no longer went to zero when I gave a voice command, instead it sets the Marantz receiver to the volume I verbally specified.

Under the Marantz Volume device (BLMarantz plugin) --> Settings tab I have enabled Amazon Alexa Discovery and Local Voice Control, and entered the trigger word "Volume" under Voice Command.

It seems to work perfectly now. If I say "Alexa, volume 40", the marantz goes to 40.

I have also limited the maximum volume in my Marantz receiver's menu to 70, so that the volume cannot inadvertently be set too high.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X