No announcement yet.

MCA88X Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sure. but a couple caveats. first, i've "borrowed" a lot of ideas and stuff from other on this forum and want to acknowledge that. second, this is a constant work-in-progress, and changes a lot, so i won't claim i'm doing things in the best way. this works well for our house and the people in it -- other situations may vary.

Lemme lay out how the overall system works and then i'll show the (new) Russound screens.

Here's the home screen
    Click image for larger version

Name:	HST home.png
Views:	101
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	1291535

I try to put as much info on home screen, and make almost everything "hot" -- meaning if you touch it you get a new screen.
    Each room has a label and a status button. (someday i may combine those...)
    The status button tells if something in room is on, and what scene it is. Touching that will turn OFF all lights in the room.
    Touching the Room Name will bring up a screen to control ALL the devices in that room.
    Here's an example:

Name:	HST irish pub.png
Views:	105
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	1291533

I use this same technique for many things: Overall status on the home page, then touch that to invoke a screen with more details.
    As an example, the status of the internet is on the home page, but touching that (green world symbol) brings up this:

Name:	HST network.png
Views:	102
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	1291534
    And of course the nav buttons on right pop up more windows for specific devices.....

You may notice there is ALWAYS a navigation bar at both top and bottom --- so you can always get back to home page.
    You can also get to specific functions thru the bottom nav bar. Pressing the thermometer button brings up this:

Name:	HST ecobee.png
Views:	104
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	1291536

Finally -- what you asked for: Touching the Music icon on bottom left will invoke a screen with ALL Russound devices.
    You can ALSO get here by touching the status button on home page that indicates if ANY zone is on.

Name:	HST russound all zones.png
Views:	102
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	1291532

All the buttons are hot -- touching power toggles the zone on/off, volume does what you'd expect, source uses a drop list to change source, etc.
    Touching the zone NAME will bring up a page with controls for just that zone.

Here's the page -- it's still very rough graphically.
    And a warning -- this took some serious scripting to make work, because i wanted just one HST page that dynamically updates based on what zone it is. I use a set of virtual devices which are tracked on the page, and on page load i use a script to copy the info from the proper zone devices (in Blade's Plugin) into those virtual devices.
    You don't need to do that -- could just have 16 pages -- but i'm learning VB.net so i wanted the excuse to practice.

Name:	HST russound one zone.png
Views:	115
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1291531

Actually, you likely don't need this view at all -- the "all zones" page is sufficient -- but i'm hoping to have more on this page in future...

Hope that helps. Lemme know if need more.

Comment

Great screens
      Cheers,
      Bob
      Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Can someone tell me if it's possible with or without the plugin to have the MCX automatically switch zones when it detects audio in a zone? That is, if I have source 1 and source 2, I would like source 1 to be default for output 1, but when Source 2 goes active, I'd like source 2 top be switched for a period of time and then go back to source 1 after a preprgrammed amount of time.

The hardware looks like it can do this, but it's not clear how it can be configured to do so.

thx
        mike

Comment

Originally posted by fresnoboy View Post
          Can someone tell me if it's possible with or without the plugin to have the MCX automatically switch zones when it detects audio in a zone? That is, if I have source 1 and source 2, I would like source 1 to be default for output 1, but when Source 2 goes active, I'd like source 2 top be switched for a period of time and then go back to source 1 after a preprgrammed amount of time.

The hardware looks like it can do this, but it's not clear how it can be configured to do so.

thx
          mike
          Absolutely!

You can either do it exhaustively with this plugin and events or you can use BLSpeech which ties in incredibly well with BLRussound.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post

Absolutely!

You can either do it exhaustively with this plugin and events or you can use BLSpeech which ties in incredibly well with BLRussound.
            Thanks! Could you explain how do you do that? I can't find any documentation about programming the MCX to detect the audio from a source, and automatically switch, and how long it should stay switched after the source gets quiet before it goes back to the default channel.

thanks
            mike

Comment

Thanks! Could you explain how do you do that? I can't find any documentation about programming the MCX to detect the audio from a source, and automatically switch, and how long it should stay switched after the source gets quiet before it goes back to the default channel.

thanks
              mike

Well, there is a page function..... What are your sources?

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post

Well, there is a page function..... What are your sources?
                So, I have an WHA system with a bunch of chromecasts feeding a multizone amp (The old Crestron ATI based 16x60's). I want the ability for a TV if turned on to override the Chromecast audio (it could be done the other way around I suppose), and when the TV gets turned off, the amp and speakers go back to WHA service.

The idea of using 4 pairs of them in an MCX88 seems like a nice idea to me. Paging doesn't solve this problem.

thanks,
                mike

Comment

So, I have an WHA system with a bunch of chromecasts feeding a multizone amp (The old Crestron ATI based 16x60's). I want the ability for a TV if turned on to override the Chromecast audio (it could be done the other way around I suppose), and when the TV gets turned off, the amp and speakers go back to WHA service.

The idea of using 4 pairs of them in an MCX88 seems like a nice idea to me. Paging doesn't solve this problem.

thanks,
                  mike

If your TV can interface with HS then you can accomplish this. You just need some way to tell HS that the TV is on. This plugin allows HS to have complete control of any Russound amp just like you would by operating the keypad.

Comment

Rob, I have the MCA88x as well. I'm not getting HomeSeer HS3 to see my MCA88x...I've entered my IP, named my zones. Back at device control page...I power on/off and get no response from the Russound. Do you have a screen shot of your controller configuration. I thought this plugin might be more intuitive and see my zones and read the data I already have programmed on my Russound Control after I enter my IP address, but it is almost like everything has to be created and manually configured. Maybe I am missing something??

Comment

Originally posted by MattMan View Post
                      Rob, I have the MCA88x as well. I'm not getting HomeSeer HS3 to see my MCA88x...I've entered my IP, named my zones. Back at device control page...I power on/off and get no response from the Russound. Do you have a screen shot of your controller configuration. I thought this plugin might be more intuitive and see my zones and read the data I already have programmed on my Russound Control after I enter my IP address, but it is almost like everything has to be created and manually configured. Maybe I am missing something??
                      Have you taken this up with Blade on his site by way of a support ticket?

Comment

Hi S-F...I'm reading through the comments made in this thread. I missed where he said he used serial connection Via RNET. I didn't have a male to female rs232 cable on hand, so I ordered one on Amazon. I'll see if the serial from the com1 port will work. I was hopeful to connect over IP but having no successful connection that way. I'll reach out to Blade and see about a support ticket. Thank you for the direction.

Comment

Serial connect was the answer in my set up. Its too bad it wouldn't work of IP, but I'm just happy my hometroller can now see my mca88x over serial rs232 and rnet on the Russound. Works well through my all in one app The Home Remote. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X