Need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some advice

Which model of Russound would you buy between the CAM6.6 and CAV6.6?

I do not need any of the newer more expensive Russound systems but I am curious of which one would be the best to get. I plan to have 9 or 10 zones so I would need 2 controllers.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Originally posted by Blade View Post
    Which model of Russound would you buy between the CAM6.6 and CAV6.6?

I do not need any of the newer more expensive Russound systems but I am curious of which one would be the best to get. I plan to have 9 or 10 zones so I would need 2 controllers.
    CAV6.6 I have 4

Comment

I think the only difference is the CAV can switch video also. It's not HDMI so I don't really see the point in this day and age. Is there a price difference?
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

The CAV seems a little higher than the CAM but not much.
        I was wondering if the only difference is video.
        Cheers,
        Bob

Comment

I can't seem to find the specs on the CAM but the CAV is a 20 watt/channel system just like the CAA. I had thought that the CAV and the CAM were 40 watts. So maybe the CAM is and the CAV isn't? This is making me feel a little better about getting a CAA. I thought I was going cheap and was worried I'd regret it later.

EDIT:

Just found it. The CAM is 20 watts also. So I'd suggest you just go with the cheaper of the two.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

I assume if I were to connect a 2nd CAV6.6 or CAM6.6 to an existing CAM6.6, it would use the same RS232 port as the 1st unit, correct?

Would the same hold true if I connected a ST2-XM2 dual tuner?
            Cheers,
            Bob

Comment

I personally have the cam and don't see the need for the cav. If I wanted to distribute video I would want hdmi anyways.

My understanding is you can stack them thru the rnet ports and get all the data thru one serial. I only have one controller though so someone else confirm.

Comment

Regarding the CAM vs CAV
                Yes, the CAV adds analog video ability - however - it also adds paging which can be triggered via 12v external input - works quite nicely. Upon 12 v - or audio received on the paging input, all zones (doesn't have to be "all" if you don't want it to be) will switch to the page input for the duration.
                Check the manuals for more on this feature.

I supply 12v to trigger the paging because it is quicker / more reliable to capture the entire announcement.

Comment

Working...
                X