Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to check if no zone is using a source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to check if no zone is using a source?

Before I go through the trouble of creating a super long event trigger/condition thing, I want to know if there is an easier way to do this.

I am trying out the Squeezebox plugin and I have it on source 3. What I want is if source 3 is not being used (not selected by any zones or any that have that source are turned off) then I want to stop the squeezebox so that it's not potentially streaming 24/7.

Does anyone try and handle this situation and if so, how?

@Blaze, maybe you could add a trigger that says somethign like "Zone is no longer active" and maybe another "Zone has become active"?

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
    @Blaze, maybe you could add a trigger that says somethign like "Zone is no longer active" and maybe another "Zone has become active"?
    Since there are no suggestions, I added a feature request on @Blade's site to have a trigger and a condition for if a "Source" is "active". I defined them as follows:

Trigger: A Source is Activated - A zone that has the source selected becomes On OR A zone that is on changes to the source.

Condition: A source is Active - True of any zone has that source selected and the zone is ON.

I know I can do this with a bunch of triggers and conditions, but this would really simplify things especially since I am planning on going to 12 zones.

In hindsight, it would have been nice to also add "A source is deactivated" and "A source is not active". darnit LOL

Comment

Sorry I missed this. What I do is look at the power of the panel. If they are all off, I have it send a pause command to all my squeezeboxes I have connected to my russound unit.

Comment

This is one of those occasions where a NOW trigger would be good. Then you could just use the device has a value not equal to as conditions for all of your zones. Maybe just do this with a recurring trigger.
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
          Sorry I missed this. What I do is look at the power of the panel. If they are all off, I have it send a pause command to all my squeezeboxes I have connected to my russound unit.
          What I was hoping to do was "start" a squeezebox if a zone switches to that source or if a zone is turned on with that source selected (source becomes active). This way I can auto start and stop them. I know I can do it with complex trigger/condition statements I was trying to avoid creating a long mess that once I get to 12 zones won't be completely unmanageable.

I do however, have one small issue with my logic which is that if BLSpeech turns on the zone and it was on source 3 (for instance) it may play then stop it really quick, which might be undesirable. So in that case I guess it would be better to know that is has been active for X time (like 1 second).

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
            This is one of those occasions where a NOW trigger would be good. Then you could just use the device has a value not equal to as conditions for all of your zones. Maybe just do this with a recurring trigger.
            I not quite getting what you're laying down. Can you elaborate

Comment

I didn't know that you wanted to start it when going to said source. Why not just create an event like:

IF c1z1 Source changes and becomes (whatever you named source 3)

OR IF c1z2 Source changes and becomes (whatever you named source 3)

OR IF c1z3 Source changes and becomes (whatever you named source 3)

ETC.

THEN play music

?

Comment

I didn't know that you wanted to start it when going to said source. Why not just create an event like:

IF c1z1 Source changes and becomes (whatever you named source 3)

OR IF c1z2 Source changes and becomes (whatever you named source 3)

OR IF c1z3 Source changes and becomes (whatever you named source 3)

ETC.

THEN play music

?
                I could, but I also have to check for each zone if it turns on and is set to source 3, so:

OR IF c1z1 Power changes and becomes ON
                AND IF c1z1 Source has a value equal to SqueezeBox

So i have to do that for all 12 zones (24 ORs) and if I have more than 1 squeeze box, then I have to do it again.

I was thinking maybe Blade could just add a simple trigger to turn those 12 to 24 ORs and make it 1 trigger (12 if you have 1 controller, 24 if you have 2, 36 if you have 3).

I haven't had the time to set them all up between work and life, so I will likely still do the different ORs when I do get a fee moment. Was hoping there was an easier way, or that an easier way could be added

Comment

Are you sure you need the AND IF?

But yeah. PITA. I get it.

Comment

Are you sure you need the AND IF?

But yeah. PITA. I get it.
                    (sorry, had to drive to Tampa yesterday for our bi-weekly "ceremonies"...blah!)

Yeah, the And If ensures that a zone is actually using the source. No point in having it streaming data over the internet if it's not being listened to. It would be differnt if I just relied on my local music, but i plan to utilize the radio stations as well.

Comment

Just wanted to update. This is my "check if inactive" event for only 3 zones (Imagine it if it was 12 zones!!!!). I have a feeling the active might be easier, but I haven't tackled it yet. for now, making sure it's stopped it more important to me than making sure it plays automatically (which I can do on an event by even basis if I want to). Attached are 2 images of the triggers/conditions. I decided to just make 1 manually triggered event that I can call with "If conditions are true, run this event". So far so good, as long as I make sure the events that turn off zones catch it. It would be a lot easier if I had triggers/conditions for:

"Source 3 becomes active" (trigger)
                      "Source 3 is active" (condition)
                      "Source 3 becomes inactive" (trigger)
                      "Source 3 is inactive" (condition)
                      Attached Files

Comment

WOW that is crazy

I will have my 2 CAV66s up and running at the end of August and then I will be fine tuning the plugin. It will be much easier when I can test at my house
                        Cheers,
                        Bob
                        Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                          WOW that is crazy

I will have my 2 CAV66s up and running at the end of August and then I will be fine tuning the plugin. It will be much easier when I can test at my house
                          LOL....Ok, as long as you recognize it!! I'm not up to 12 zones yet, but I plan on slowly getting there. Thanks for considering looking into it when you get yours all set up. I think you'll find that if you use any source that you also control through homeseer, that being able to tell when that source is active or inactive via a single trigger/condition, that it will make things much easier!! LOL

Comment

I have attempted to add some new source triggers and conditions in the newest build in the updater. I will have to rely on people to test it out because my Russound is still another couple months away from being setup

I have added the following triggers:

Source becomes active
                            Source becomes inactive

I have added the following conditions:

Source is active
                            Source is inactive
                            Cheers,
                            Bob
                            Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

Originally posted by Blade View Post
                              I have attempted to add some new source triggers and conditions in the newest build in the updater. I will have to rely on people to test it out because my Russound is still another couple months away from being setup

I have added the following triggers:

Source becomes active
                              Source becomes inactive

I have added the following conditions:

Source is active
                              Source is inactive
                              I have tried the triggers, but no love. I will try and get you some logs soon.

I have this with an event that says "If Source #3 becomes active" with an action to send me a Pushover message:
                              Turn on a zone with the source already selected - Event doesn't fire
                              With a zone off, change to source - Event Doesn't fire (Not sure this should, nor should this really be possible)
                              With a zone on, change to the source- Event doesn't fire.

I have also tried the same with "If Source #3 becomes inactive" with the same results. My event never fires.

I do have a question though. I see you labelled them "Source #X", but in the plugin options, they are defaulted to "Source X" and I have already renamed my sources (the first 3) to "House", "Chromecast", and "SqueezeBox". So I'm not sure if you're doing a string compare of the source value, or if that doesn't matter (and you do know which is source 1, 2 ,3, etc). I did try setting Source 4 to "Source #4" both in my test zone's source device and int the options, but it still didn't work.

Would you like the logs here or as a bug on your site? I don't think I can modify the feature request, but if I can I will try that.

Comment

Working...
                              X