Question about Global Cached Devices and this Plug-In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Global Cached Devices and this Plug-In

I have a few questions about this plug-in and the GC hardware it supports.

Current Setup:
    I currently use an IR remote to send signals to an IR543 to trigger HS events. These events usually call on Z-Wave devices etc. However, over the years I have used all my IR543's and would like to move to something else.

Proposed Setup:
    I would like to continue using my IR remote but would like to replace the IR543 with a Global Cache device. I'd like to send the signals over my wired Ethernet network to my HS server.

Here are my questions:
    1) Is my proposed setup feasible?
    2) Do I need 2 GC devices or just the one in the room where the remote is used?
    3) Can the iTach TCP/IP to IR (IP2IR) be used for this purpose? If not, which unit would you recommend?
    4) Do I need anything else other than the plugin for HS and a GC device to make this work?
    5) If GC devices wont work for this what can I use?

I hope this makes sense/ I would really like to move away from the X-10 IR receivers.

Hi Mark, welcome to the HS forum.
    I'm an installer and have put in a couple dozen IP2IR devices using the Global Cache Pro pluggin.

I'm not too familiar with the IR543 and am a little confused with what you hope to accomplish.
    The IP2IR doesn't work with your remote control, it will replace it by attaching IR emitters to your devices and allowing HS to send the IR codes to your remote controlled devices.

The pluggin can download the IR codes from a database of thousands of devices, or it can learn codes from your remote controls.
    Homeseer actions and events trigger the IP2IR unit to send the IR code's to the selected devices.
    Hope this helps you with your project and understanding of the Global Cache plug in and IR devices.
    Blair

HomeSeer: HS3 Pro 3.0.0.548
    Hometroller S6 | Devices: 832 | Events: 211
    Plug-Ins: Z-Wave .252 | HSTouch | RFXCOM | UltraRachio3 | Sonos
    BLLAN | BLPLEX | BLLOCK | NetCAM | Global Cache Pro | Blur-Iris4

Comment

Thanks for the reply Blair.

The IR543 is an Z-10 IR receiver. With it, I can send IR signals form my remote and have the IR543 send X-10 commands back to my HomeSeer server to trigger events. This is the kind of scenario I would like to replicate with Z-Wave only. However, it seems from your response that this may not be the device top do that with.

Comment

Originally posted by BlairG View Post
        Hi Mark, welcome to the HS forum.
        I'm an installer and have put in a couple dozen IP2IR devices using the Global Cache Pro pluggin.

I'm not too familiar with the IR543 and am a little confused with what you hope to accomplish.
        The IP2IR doesn't work with your remote control, it will replace it by attaching IR emitters to your devices and allowing HS to send the IR codes to your remote controlled devices.

The pluggin can download the IR codes from a database of thousands of devices, or it can learn codes from your remote controls.
        Homeseer actions and events trigger the IP2IR unit to send the IR code's to the selected devices.
        Hope this helps you with your project and understanding of the Global Cache plug in and IR devices.
        Hello Blair,
        So once I attach the IR emitters to each of the devices that I want to control via HS, I am no longer able to use the remote control for that device? I thought one of the ports on the back of the GC IP2IR could be used to plugin a IR receiver that would pass the signal along to the IR emitters?

Here is what is on the GC website for the IP2IR device:
        R and Sensor Interface
        Connector: 3.5mm stereo jack
        3 Independent selectable IR outputs or sensor inputs
        3 IR emitters included
        1 IR blaster included (supported on 3rd IR port)
        HS3 3.0.0.548 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 996 Devices, 547 Events
        Plugin's:
        BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
        EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
        weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

Just got off the phone with GC tech support, found out that the sensor ports are only outputs. They suggested using an IR blaster so that both the GC IP2IR and remotes could control the devices but HS wouldn't know about anything that was done with a remote.

I have been thinking that using a remote is sometimes easier than pulling out your phone and starting up HST. For those that are using these, what setup seems to be working best for you? Do you have a dedicated touch screen that you are using in the media room? Seems like a lit up screen sitting close by while watching TV/Movie might be a bit distracting. But if you turn it off everytime and wait for it to start back up when you want to make a change, seems like that wouldn't be ideal either.
          HS3 3.0.0.548 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.71 with 996 Devices, 547 Events
          Plugin's:
          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave 3.0.1.252

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
            Just got off the phone with GC tech support, found out that the sensor ports are only outputs. They suggested using an IR blaster so that both the GC IP2IR and remotes could control the devices but HS wouldn't know about anything that was done with a remote.

I have been thinking that using a remote is sometimes easier than pulling out your phone and starting up HST. For those that are using these, what setup seems to be working best for you? Do you have a dedicated touch screen that you are using in the media room? Seems like a lit up screen sitting close by while watching TV/Movie might be a bit distracting. But if you turn it off everytime and wait for it to start back up when you want to make a change, seems like that wouldn't be ideal either.
            I'm guessing your AV equipment must be hidden?

I use one of these, but my rack is in view, so the remotes still work, as does the setup through HS (using Imperihome).

If my guess is correct, you could maybe buy a relatively cheaper IR repeater and set that up as well.

Comment

Working...
            X