Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interfacing with Niles MSU480

FYI:

Since I couldn't find this information anywhere else, I'm posting it here.

My existing HT setup uses a Niles MSU480 IR repeater (http://nilesaudio.com/products/irmsus.html). My initial attempts of connecting the GC-100 output to one of the MSU480 inputs were in vain.

As I'm not familiar with any of the IR standards, I contacted GlobalCache for help. Apparently, they prescribed the use a converter cable (GC-CGX - http://globalcache.com/products/ir-receivers.html) to convert the output of the GC-100 to speak to the Niles. They are basically saying that Niles and Xantech are compatible.

Post modification of an 1/8" stereo extension cable (stripped/tinned), and connecting the appropriate wires to the Niles inputs. . .the IR data is successfully being sent to the HT components.
    Last edited by ; August 19, 2005, 04:37 PM.

Is it possible for you to get a cat-5 from your HS pc to the Niles MSU?

Comment

Originally posted by pp
      Is it possible for you to get a cat-5 from your HS pc to the Niles MSU?
      Yes, it is possible. . .

Perry curious. . .what alternatives can you recommend?

Comment

I would bypass the Global Cache and us An IR direct out from PC. Use the cat-5 to splice in an IR emitter..

Comment

Originally posted by pp
          I would bypass the Global Cache and us An IR direct out from PC. Use the cat-5 to splice in an IR emitter..
          Still Perry curious. . .Please elaborate/educate. Despite items that are already acquired, I'm open to options and alternatives.

Comment

You have your Niles Distribution near your Home Theater. You are trying to send IR commands to it from HS. Do I have that correct? You are using HS or Main Lobby to send signals via your Network hub to come out the global cache. That works but you could also hard wire it. Using a USBUIRT which sends IR from your PC. HS has a plugin to setup commands for USBUIRT. You could also then use Main Lobby with HS to make a Touchscreen interface for your system.

So the Cat 5 becomes a long emitter from your pc and is connected to the Niles MSU480.

If I have it wrong could you elaborate a little more on what you are trying to make happen...

Comment

Thanks PP. . .you are correct on the set-up and goal.

USBUIRT is something I'm not yet familiar with. I appreciate the information and will look into that.

Thanks again for the info.
              --Perry

Comment

Yes USBUIRT works great and you can train all ir codes to it then base an event to trigger that as a macro.

There are other choices as well but if it is just IR than USBUIRT.
                If you need contacted and 12v triggers than and Ocelot might be better....

Comment

Working...
                X