GC100 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GC100 questions

OK. I got the lighting to work with ML and HS2.0. Now I am looking at setting up the home theater control with a GC100. After reading the manuals and visiting the forum, I have the following questions that need your help, PLEASE:

1. You can call me dumb but at least help me understand how to setup my GC100 in HS 2.0. The configuration screen was simple enoug, although I do not understand what the serial redirection checkboxes are for or do? The zones is another story. I understand the concept of a zone (I want to setup each IR port as a zone and have a split emitter from each zone control two different devices for a total of 6 devices).

I also understand that the GC connector would correspond to each emitter port like 1-3. But, I do not understand the module number. The example in the help screen is confusing. it says "Each set of 3 infrared emitters are a part of a module. Enter the module number for the IR emitter you wish to use" but looking at the picture it has module # 4 and 5 for two GC100s. If each 3 are part of a module, does it mean that the second example has 5 times 3 (5 x 3) for fifteen emitters? I have the base gc100 model. what module would I use for the emitters? Module 1 since there are only 3 ports?

2. From what I have seen so far, it seems that the only option I have is to get the gc-ire to learn my remote control codes. Is this correct? If I go on remotecentral, I see lots of codes for different equipment that people have put into a database. Can I just get these codes and paste them into HS?

3. I have downloaded the Mlobby GC100 plugin as well. Can someone tell me what would be the need for the HS plugin? What can I do with one that I can not do with the other?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Syous

One down

OK, I think I figured out the module # but correct me if I am wrong. Since I have gc100-6 model, the serial port is module 1 and the bank of IR emitters are Module 2. The higher module numbers are for the gc100-12 and 16 models with multiple serial and ir ports.

syous

Comment

your ir ports would be labeled as 2:1 , 2:2, 2:3 for each of the ir ports. Serial redirection is to redirect any serial input device to a com port for the pc to use.

You may not have much luck in remote central for anything to do with the gc100 proprietary ir coding. You'll need to purchase this item: http://www.globalcache.com/products/ir-index.html
      to get the ir codes you need. Unfortunately, it has about $3.50 worth of parts but runs about $100.00.
      This is what I ended up doing, and so far I have decent control over everything from AC, HVAC, TV, etc.. Keep in mind, that capturing the codes from the GC-IRL will be time consuming and is never perfect. I had the most trouble with tv channel ir codes, but neverthe less had it done.

Cant help with the mllobby, as I dont have it.

One thing is for sure, once you get the gc-100 setup, it's pretty reliable.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Crazy1,

I got the pluggin to work but the ML was a bit easier to setup.

As for remote central, I found the Hex codes for my directv receiver and just copied them. It works great. You should try it, here is the link:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/codes/

My only issue is that I could not the codes for all my components. I did end up buying the gc-irl.

Good luck to the next person trying to do this.

thanks again
        syous

Comment

Hi SYOUS, I bought a GC-100-12 recently and am still experimenting with it. IMHO I think that the information required to setup the Global Cache unit might need more details in order to better understand its features and how to operate it.

I do not understand what the serial redirection checkboxes are for or do?
          I too would like to know. I hope someone from HST can responds.

I do not understand the module number.
          Here is a good explanation including a diagram from the GC-100 API Specification http://www.globalcache.com/files/Doc...API_GC-100.pdf

From what I have seen so far, it seems that the only option I have is to get the gc-ire to learn my remote control codes. Is this correct?
          You probably mean the gc-irl ir learner to be used with the ir learner utility. This will let you learn the infrared codes in GC-100 format or CCF format which can then be pasted into HS2.
          Note: I know that the GC-100 format works with HS2 but am not sure about the CCF format.

If I go on remotecentral, I see lots of codes for different equipment that people have put into a database. Can I just get these codes and paste them into HS?
          I am sure you could but I think all the codes on the remotecentral site are in CCF format which as I said above am not sure if it works with HS2. In the case that it would not work you could use the GC-CCF Conversion Utility on the Global Cache website found here: http://www.globalcache.com/support/support_docs.html

I have downloaded the Mlobby GC100 plugin as well. Can someone tell me what would be the need for the HS plugin? What can I do with one that I can not do with the other?
          Maybe someone from Cinemar could comment on this.

Comment

Hi crazy1, Thanks for clarifying a few things. I'd like to ask you the following:

Serial redirection is to redirect any serial input device to a com port for the pc to use.
            In HS2 under Setup--> Plug-in Interfaces --> Global Cache GC100 there is a user defined Com port (I set it to Com 10 in my case). Is this where the serial input device would be redirected?

If this is correct am I right in assuming that in the Global Cache Configuration if I set my GC-100-12 device IP address to 192.168.0.252:5000 and if I check the Mod 2 box then the serial device connected on the second serial port on the GC-100-12 will be redirected to Com 10 for pc use.

I'm just trying to get a grip on how this all works. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the info

Thanks rogerous,

The diagram helps a lot. I wish I had found it earlier. As for the remotecentral site, they have two kinds of downloads. One is Hex codes and the other is the pronto ccf. The link I had put up was for the hex codes.

Thanks to you, I can now look at the ccf files as well. Really appreciate it. I already bought the ir learner yesturday but, if I am not going to need it, I may return it un-opened.

Thanks for the great info. and good luck.

syous

Comment

Originally posted by rogerous
                Hi crazy1, Thanks for clarifying a few things. I'd like to ask you the following:

In HS2 under Setup--> Plug-in Interfaces --> Global Cache GC100 there is a user defined Com port (I set it to Com 10 in my case). Is this where the serial input device would be redirected?

Yes. , However in most situations, you should not need to redirect the serial port. because this is used if you have some type of virtual com port redirection software running. Redirecting the com port essentially removes it from the plugin management, so that you can directly interface to it with other software, etc..
                I have not had to redirect com ports in any of my uses, so I can't really say if it works and how good it does work.

If this is correct am I right in assuming that in the Global Cache Configuration if I set my GC-100-12 device IP address to 192.168.0.252:5000 and if I check the Mod 2 box then the serial device connected on the second serial port on the GC-100-12 will be redirected to Com 10 for pc use.

Yes and no. The redirection part is right, but the ipaddress / port for the device is not needed.
                The ports on the gc-100 are hard coded, so you can leave off the port from the ip address when you set it up. When you script commands to use the serial port, that is where you reference the port(s) as gc module/port. For example: You have a serial device on Mod 2 Device 1 on the gc-100, so your script or event would call out to 2:1. The plugin does this conversion automatically.

I'm just trying to get a grip on how this all works. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thanks!
                Keep in mind I have only skimmed the surface of this thing so far, so I am far from any expert on it, and what I know is from playing around with it. Trial and error basically.

Good luck

Comment

Syous, I'm happy I could help you out a bit

Crazy1, Thanks for all the help. It sure would be nice if the setup infos available would be more complete.

Comment

Has anyone gotten sending serial commands to the GC devices working? If so, please let me know how it actually is setup and works.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mkronmal View Post
                      Has anyone gotten sending serial commands to the GC devices working? If so, please let me know how it actually is setup and works.

Thanks
                      I'm having the same problem as the one you described. Did you ever find a solution?

Thanks,
                      -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                      HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Here is the method that I use to send serial data to me AV Receiver.

Code:
                        Sub SendData(strData)
                          DIM GC
                          DIM SerIdx
                          DIM SerResult
                          DIM cmd
                          Set GC = Nothing
                          Set GC = hs.Plugin("Global Cache GC100")
                          if GC is Nothing then Exit Sub
                          'hs.WriteLog "Debug", "Got the plugin"
                          SerIdx = GC.GetSerialIndex("First Floor AV Interface", 1)
                          'hs.WriteLog "Debug", SerIdx
                          if SerIdx = -1 then Exit Sub
                          'hs.WriteLog "Info", "Got the serial Index"
                          cmd = strData + vbCr
                          SerResult = GC.SendSerialData(SerIdx, cmd)
                          'hs.WriteLog "Debug", "Think I've muted it (" + Cstr(SerResult) + ")"

End Sub
                        Hope that helps.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pfriedl View Post
                          Here is the method that I use to send serial data to me AV Receiver.

Hope that helps.

Paul
                          Thanks Paul for your quick response. I ended up going with a serial port redirection program, since I was trying to get the Sony DVD plugin to talk to the GC-100 unit. This is the program I'm using:

http://pcmicro.com/netserial/

It's pricy ($90), so I'm still looking for a cheaper approach.
                          -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
                          HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Working...
                          X