Frustrated...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated...

I have been trying to get my GC-100-12 to communicate RS232 with my Epson projector via the Global Cache plugin. I have enabled the IR in the Interfaces setup, but have not configured IR since I don't use the IR via HS. I am connected to the second serial port on the GC100. I am not using any serial port redirection, as from this forum I (rightly or wrongly) concluded that I did not need to.

When I register the Serial Handler all "appears" good:
    3/5/2009 5:08:51 PM ~!~Info~!~Running script in background: GDS-GC100-Main.txt
    3/5/2009 5:08:51 PM ~!~GDS_GC100-Main~!~Main Sub Called!
    3/5/2009 5:08:51 PM ~!~Global Cache GC100~!~Tag is
    3/5/2009 5:08:51 PM ~!~Global Cache GC100~!~Tag is 1:1
    3/5/2009 5:08:51 PM ~!~Global Cache GC100~!~Tag is 1:2
    3/5/2009 5:08:51 PM ~!~GDS_GC100-Main~!~GetSerialIndex=2
    3/5/2009 5:08:51 PM ~!~GDS_GC100-Main~!~RegisterSerialScript=True

When I do a GetSerialIndex the result "appears" appropriate:
    3/5/2009 5:10:12 PM ~!~GDS_GC100-Main~!~GetSerialIndex=2

Even when I send data to the GC it "appears" to do the right thing:
    3/5/2009 5:10:12 PM ~!~Global Cache GC100~!~Sending data to serial index 2 Port 5000 of::PWR OND

However no (error) response is returned from the projector, at least not via the Serial Handler function, and the projector does not power on. (I have tried other commands as well.) For two days now, I have tried different configs, etc and have not found the magic touch yet.

I have also successfully tested the projector, cables and all terminations from the GC to the projector with a PC (using hyperterminal) and that part of the infrastructure works fine. So I strongly believe the issue is between HS and the GC-100.

Attached is a copy of my GlobalCache.ini, and the script function(s) I have been working with. Probably something dumb, but I am at a loss. Any help or guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
    Gary
    Attached Files

okay so after 4 weeks of trying to get mine all worked out, let me start with, YOU CAN DO IT...

1) use firefox and not IE it seems that I had all sorts of issues with IE, lso you need not to click on the redirect on the setup page, and you do need to use redirection but from a program called lantronix they make a port redirector, make sure you use the version 3 not 4.. search for pioneer script and there will be a full lesson in there..

dont give up, you will get it, and the payoff is there when you do.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrett View Post
      .. search for pioneer script and there will be a full lesson in there...
      Thanks for the feedback.

I assume the pioneer script (and thread) you reference is in this post. Yeah I saw that. However, it was not clear that the Pioneer.txt script used the Global Cache? It seems to use HS serial port support to control the Pioneer directly?

To redirect or not to redirect? Like you, this post seems to think the easiest way to go is to use redirection, even though it requires additional software (Lantronix). For the price of the GC plugin, like this post implies, I would not think additional software should be needed. I guess I can look into redirection, but doing so does make me wonder what the GC plugin's place in all this is.

On the other hand, this post implies the GC is not well documented and too hard to understand and that avoiding it altogether in preference to direct COM is the way to go.

Thanks
      Gary

Comment

Hey Gary,

did you make any headway on getting your GC to play nice with your Pioneer. I guess you can say mine works, although not the way it should..

MB

Comment

Yes, I did get what I wanted done. The GC was actually going to my Epson projector. I installed the Lantronix (v3) redirection and used a modified version of Kens generic serial script. All is good so far.

I still have to believe the GC plugin is not really up to HS standards. Both in documentation, updates and function. I have not seen a success story for getting a native implementation of the GC plugin to work using serial communications.

Good luck with your Pioneer serial communications. I recently went from a Pioneer Elite to an Onkyo. When I had the Elite, I was using NetRemote to talk to it via the GC. (I believe) The communications to the Pioneer went well. But the Pioneer's serial support did not seem reliable. It would power on/off and select sources just fine. But when I started requesting status info, such as volume settings, the results were very erratic. Of course I never could be sure the problem was with the Pioneer but I had strong suspicions. I am going to (try to) replace the NetRemote support with HSTouch to my Onkyo, so to some degree I will be going down some of these same paths again in the future. So keep, me informed of any further findings regarding the GC plugin and serial communications.

Thanks
          Gary

Comment

thanks for the update...

I am still not happy with the Pioneer results that I get.

Comment

Working...
            X