Long cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long cables?

Can anyone tell me what sort of cable I can use to extend the link of the IR cables from my iTach? I am putting a projector in my media room and would like to run an IR tab to it rather than try and rely on using the IR blaster from across the room.

I've had good performance using Cat5, even for runs of 50 feet or more. Some people recommend a shielded cable, but I find that the twisted pair is a pretty effective isolation mechanism and have not identified any noise problems using UTP.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks Mike. In order to do that how are you wiring it? Are you putting a 3mm female jack on each end and just plugging in the gc cable to the end of that?

Comment

I just use crimp connectors to attach the leads to the wires in the cat5. In effect, I cut the normal IR wire into a 'plug' end and a 'jack' end and splice as much cat5 in the middle as I need. (Caveats: I normally use powered Xantech junction blocks. I don't have direct experience with GC, but I don't see any reason that it should behave differently.)
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Cool, thanks again Mike! I will give this a shot with my Global Cache unit and report back.

Comment

Working...
          X