GC-100-12 to replace Slink-e??s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GC-100-12 to replace Slink-e??s

Have been running a 4-zone whole house system using Xantech 795-20 four zone amplified connecting block and the Nirvis Slink-e since the late 90s. Had to beg for conversion of the Slink-e plug-in in 2005 from HS1 to HS2. The Slink-e zones connect via 3 wires to the screw terminals of the Xantech. Slink-e connects to HS via serial port.

Thinking it might be time to replace the Slink-e, I've been looking at the GC-100-12, to get my 4 zones. In addition, I expect I need purchase 4 GC-GCX cables, one for each zone. First question - does anyone with a GC-100 have it connect to a Xantech amplified block (using the three screw terminals)? If so, does it work well?

Second, how/where do I find the IR codes for use with the GC? Do I need to purchase the learning module too? I'm assuming the IR command setup in HS is the same for Slink-e & GC - correct?

Finally, will the move to HS3 be pretty seamless?

Any thoughts, advice or alternate suggestions greatly appreiated.

Thanks,
    Barry

I didn't get any replies, but thought I would do a follow-up

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
    Have been running a 4-zone whole house system using Xantech 795-20 four zone amplified connecting block and the Nirvis Slink-e since the late 90s. Had to beg for conversion of the Slink-e plug-in in 2005 from HS1 to HS2. The Slink-e zones connect via 3 wires to the screw terminals of the Xantech. Slink-e connects to HS via serial port.

Thinking it might be time to replace the Slink-e, I've been looking at the GC-100-12, to get my 4 zones. In addition, I expect I need purchase 4 GC-GCX cables, one for each zone. First question - does anyone with a GC-100 have it connect to a Xantech amplified block (using the three screw terminals)? If so, does it work well?
    I was lucky enough to see the post of the ebay deal, so purchased one the used GC-100-12s and sent it off for the firmware upgrade. It arrived from GC yesterday. I had purchased 4 GC-GCX cables. The GC-GCX cable includes instructions for cutting the end of the cable and wiring it to the Xantech block. So to answer my question, yes, it does work well.

Second, how/where do I find the IR codes for use with the GC? Do I need to purchase the learning module too? I'm assuming the IR command setup in HS is the same for Slink-e & GC - correct?
    In the Ultra GC forum someone posted some codes, including those for a Sony receiver. So I tried those. They worked on one of the first two receivers. I'm still trying to find a way to convert all the codes learned for the Slink-e, but not having any luck. So I am going to have to purchase the learner module. That is the only bummer so far in the conversion.

The setup in HS for the GC seemed pretty straight forward. It had been so long since I changed the Slink-e setup that I don't remember if it was exactly the same, but it wasn't an issue.

Finally, will the move to HS3 be pretty seamless?

Any thoughts, advice or alternate suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Barry
    I can't answer that last question, but suspect it won't be a problem. Hope this help others who might be considering the switch from Slink-e to the GC-100.

Barry

Comment

I have a bad feeling that HS3 will need to be re-programmed with the IR codes.
      No evidence of this, just a feeling...

Comment

Originally posted by Eddiie View Post
        I have a bad feeling that HS3 will need to be re-programmed with the IR codes.
        No evidence of this, just a feeling...
        I would not be surprised if the IR codes have to be reload into HS3, but if you have the files, that shouldn't be a problem.

I've removed the Slink-e from my system, so I'm fully committed to the GC-100.

Barry

Comment

Working...
        X