WF2IR iTach won't Learn Codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WF2IR iTach won't Learn Codes

I recently recieved a new WF2IR iTach unit. Out of the box, I was able to follow the start up instructions to access the unit via adhoc wifi and reconfigure to use my home's infrastructure wifi.

I then started up the iLearn application and the app successfully pinged the WF2IR device. However, I have been unable to get the iLearn application to read any codes from the three IR remotes I have "shot" at the small reading hole.

I stuck with it for about one hour, trying different IR remotes, from different distances (ranging from in contact with the WF2IR unit to about 6"), at various angles of attack (usually straight on, but tried various angles between 5 and 10 degrees off perpendicular).

During this time I stopped and restarted the iLearn software at least 4 times and powered down and restarted the WF2IR 3 times and reset the WF2IR once, going through the adhoc wifi setup procedure again from the beginning.

This is the first time I have ever used any iTach product or any IR learning software for that matter, so user error is certainly not out of the question! However, given how everything leading up to the actual reading step performed as indicated by the literature, I suspect I may have a hardware problem I'm dealing with. Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by jpm4000 View Post
    I recently recieved a new WF2IR iTach unit. Out of the box, I was able to follow the start up instructions to access the unit via adhoc wifi and reconfigure to use my home's infrastructure wifi.

I then started up the iLearn application and the app successfully pinged the WF2IR device. However, I have been unable to get the iLearn application to read any codes from the three IR remotes I have "shot" at the small reading hole.

I stuck with it for about one hour, trying different IR remotes, from different distances (ranging from in contact with the WF2IR unit to about 6"), at various angles of attack (usually straight on, but tried various angles between 5 and 10 degrees off perpendicular).

During this time I stopped and restarted the iLearn software at least 4 times and powered down and restarted the WF2IR 3 times and reset the WF2IR once, going through the adhoc wifi setup procedure again from the beginning.

This is the first time I have ever used any iTach product or any IR learning software for that matter, so user error is certainly not out of the question! However, given how everything leading up to the actual reading step performed as indicated by the literature, I suspect I may have a hardware problem I'm dealing with. Any help would be appreciated.
    Mine worked OK when I tried it some months ago. Can't believe what a ridiculous location the reader is in though

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
      Mine worked OK when I tried it some months ago. Can't believe what a ridiculous location the reader is in though
      Thanks for that, Mark. Can I ask, when using the iLearn program, did the recieved codes just pop up in the first data window immediately after you pointed the IR remote at the reader hole and pressed a button on the remote?

If that's the action I should be expecting, then I think I'll just ask for a replacement.

You're right about the reader hole location, and using it as a duel purpose reset switch seems to be inviting problems via damage to the ir sensor located in that same spot.

Comment

I had the same problem at first with mine. I have to set the unit on a flat surface and align the remote just correctly, or hold the unit securely between my knees due to the funny learning sensor placement. I MUST have the unit and remote in position just perfectly, with my finger on the button I want to learn with one hand. With the other I need to click the connect button in iLearn. Within one second after I click connect, I must push the button that I want it to learn. After that, I could push remote buttons all day long and it will not learn another. I reposition my remote finger for the next button and with my mouse finger click disconnect. I then connect again repeating the cycle. Doing this, I have mapped several remotes very fast. For some reason, the communication between the software and unit doesn't behave correctly after the first second.
        Last edited by Automated; February 4, 2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I made the hole bigger with an x-acto knife.

Comment

I've got 2 installed now, and I can say that setting up IR codes has been tedious and hit and miss. Although once it's going, it works great.

I found the same problem with iLearn as you. I don't know what causes the issue, but here's my procedure...
            A-I click on 'disconnect' and then 'reconnect'
            B-Point the remote at iTach and press a button and wait a few seconds to see if iLearn pops up the code.
            If no code, press remote button again, from a little different angle. Try a couple of times. Then repeat A- disconnect and reconnect and try again.
            Seems like once it takes some, you can 'trim', then 'save', then copy and paste code from the bottom box into Plugin....

More than once during programming codes, The plugin seams to stop sending any codes. What I've found is that the IR-ZONES.ini file gets screwed up..
            It should have " device name,zone" line for each one.
            For example, mine.ini is
            "StudyIR",1"
            "GameRoom,6"
            Last night, when programming codes, it changed to
            ",1"
            "StudyIR",1"
            "GameRoom,6"
            I edited out the screwed up first line and then it worked fine again.

Also took a while for me to understand 'device name' and 'zone'...
            On the first one I setup, I initially plugged IR stick on emitter in port one, so its zone 1.
            One the second iTach, it's three ports are zones 4, 5, and 6.

Comment

I want to thank the posters above for steering me in the right direction, and maybe to add a hint or two based on my trials and tribulations (and triumph!) with the Global Cache system in controlling 13 aircons of various brands.

1. Using the 'reconnect' trick on iLearn is very useful. Simply press 'disconnect' and 'reconnect' everytime you've learned a code. This ensures that your connection to iTach is good and working. Clear the 'Edit view' window (not the result window) everytime you've captured a new command and saved it (save data), this way you'll see if the iTach have successfully learned the IR command or not.

2. Aim the remote from about 2-3 inches to the leftmost plug of the iTach WF2IR\IP2IR. It helps if you put both the remote and the iTach unit on the same surface (Tabletop).

3. GC-100 is not as capable as iTach WF2IR/IP2IR/Flex. When you learn the commands on an iTach, test it by playing it back with the iTach also. I have a few aircons that send very long IR command that could be learned by my WF2IR, but cannot be played back by my GC-100-12s.

It stumped me for the longest time, since I thought my WF2IR was not capable of capturing the whole IR command. I kept testing the learned commands captured on my WF2IR on the GC-100s since the aircons are located in different rooms. And they kept failing (the LEDs on the IR emitters didn't even light up).

Happy programming
              HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Working...
              X