In Use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Use?

Who is using this? And in what application?

I am thinking this would fit the bill for turning my airpanel into a media room control center (without having to have a PC sit with my A/V gear)... Of course my media center sits there today, but I like the idea of an IP based IR device without all the PC features or support needs.

If anyone is using this in a similar fashion... What software package or homegrown webpages are being used for TV & AV control?

My wishlist for this system:
    1) Import config files from my pronto
    2) Have a TV guide displayed that allows you to click on the show you want and have the channels change.
    3)Display complete remote control interfaces for all A/V gear.

Driving force:
    My wife wants more buttons on one page then the pronto currently supports.

Hanf,

The GC100 is being used by many people (professionals and DIYers). It would do well in the application you described. The TV guide feature is possible today with HSTV and its integrated infrared support.

The GC-IRL which is recommended to learn IR codes has the ability to output the IR signal in CCF format as well as the GC100 format. You could ask Global Cache if they could send you a VB example of how to convert a CCF infrared signal into a GC100 signal, and then you could work with CCFs. The IR signals are stored in the GlobalCache.dat file in your CONFIG directory. It is a plain text file despite what the file extension may lead you to believe, and it uses the standard INI file format. It is not difficult to figure out how you can maintain this file yourself. (Although you will get limited support from us if you do that!)

I will email GC and see if I can get that code snippet - if I can, then I can add a CCF to GC100 converter to the plug-in.
    Regards,

Rick Tinker (a.k.a. "Tink")

Comment

Rick,

Thanks a million. I went ahead and ordered one already, as I made the assumption it was the right device.

I really look forward to getting this all set-up.

As for the limited support... I tend to rely totaly on the kind nature of individuals, and my own fiddle factor. I can't think of a time I have gotten angry about support that I did not specificaly pay for. In reagrds to plug-ins, I generaly feel like I am paying for the intial code, and if I want to cutomize, I do so at my own risk.

Comment

Hanfseer,
        The Ocelot also does the IR in/out and is well supported on this BB. The IR buttons can be built as an HS device and added to the touchpad interface.

See this thread for a screen shot showing the ir buttons.

http://ubb.homeseer.com/eve/ubb.x?a=...74&m=824109465
        πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

FYI just to clarify...

ALL IR interfaces that are fully supported in HomeSeer allow you to create IR buttons. I just want to make sure that people are not confused into thinking that only the Ocelot's IR capabilities allow this.
          Regards,

Comment

Rupp,

Thanks but doesn't the Ocelot need to connect to a PC?

Comment

Yes it does. So does this device:
              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Global Caché’s GC-IRL IR Learner is a must-have tool for every dealer, installer, and home automation enthusiast. The compact GC-IRL is used with a PC to learn the full spectrum, 30KHz to 500KHz, of IR codes ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
              πŸ’β€β™‚οΈ Support & Customer Service πŸ™‹β€β™‚οΈ Sales Questions πŸ›’ Shop HomeSeer Products​

Comment

It's been awhile since I read the specs, but I don't think you need to physically connect this to a PC. To do some of the configuration you will need to use an application on a PC, but you should be able to do it over the LAN.

Think I'll go check out the specs again to be sure though...

***Edit***
                My mistake, you do need to connect to a PC for the GC-IRL. Looks like you would only do that to learn new IR codes though. After that you wouldn't need the PC.

Comment

Renegade,
                  I cut and pasted the above quote from Global Caché’s web site.

Comment

Allow me....

You use a web browser to configure options on the GC100, but that is a one-time deal.

The HS plug-in communicates with it via the network.

The GC-IRL is just for learning IR signals, but you can plug that into the serial port on any PC to learn the signals, and then with the web page I provided in the plug-in, you can paste the signal into the web page. Thus, learning can be done from anywhere.
                    Regards,

Comment

Cool.
                      Rick do you have all of the various parts and pieces of the system? Do you like it?

Comment

Yes - I developed the plug-in using a GC100 that has 2 serial modules, 1 relay module, and 2 IR/Sensor modules. That is a total of 2 serial ports, 3 relays, and 6 IR outputs/Sensor Inputs (Which can be configured to be any combination of IR outputs and sensor inputs up to the 6 total connectors that are provided.)

I really liked the GC-IRL for learning/working with signals. I may even put a converter in the plug-in that will provide and accept CCF formatted IR signals and convert back and forth so people who download CCF formatted signals from RemoteCentral can paste them into it. (Have to squeeze some time in somewhere to do that one though.)

I don't like that the GC inputs are TTL level (e.g. 5VDC) instead of supervised inputs like the Adicon modules have, but that is a bit of a minor issue - I can work with either. I would prefer that the GC relay be able to handle a bit of a larger load and have the option for an NC contact as well as NO like the Adicon unit has. Also, Adicon makes the big Form-C relay module for when you have high current switching needs, and the GC does not so you will have to go out and buy a separate relay and power supply so that you can have the GC relay power the bigger relay.

As you can see I have very mixed feelings between those two! I don't think the decision to go with either one would be a bad one, and if you have any sort of personal reason for favoring one over the other, then that is probably a good reason for you to pick the right one for your needs.

There is one other factor that is coming to bear on this, and that is the availability of the GC Sensors. The Adicon has a rich set of Bobcat modules to enhance the system, and the Bobcats can be located anywhere you can get the aforedescribed 2-6 wires whereas the GC sensors have to be connected to a GC input. GC Benefit: Most sensors will require only 2 wires to be run to the GC input. Adicon Benefit: You don't need a whole Ocelot where you want to put a Bobcat, only wiring. The GC sensor list even includes the contact closure sensor which is the dry contact input that I wanted the sensor input to be in the first place.

Well, lots of rambling on my part here with no favoritism either way, so I might just as well get off this line and let y'all learn more about both systems yourself.
                        Regards,

Comment

GC-IRL:

Needing devices to "learn" IR codes, I bought both the GC-IRL unit and the USB-UIRT. The latter gets my vote. Its codes are 100% correct, while a number of the ones that the GC-IRL generated for me have been duds. Price of the USB-UIRT is generally a few bucks cheaper, to boot. Plus, USB is more user friendly than serial cables. Note that you have request their tech support to send you the IRLEARNER.EXE program to do your learning. I don't know why it is not on their web site.

If you had a device which needed GC-native codes, then the GC-IRL would of course get the nod. But MainLobby actually demands Pronto codes for communicating to the GC-100, not the GC-native codes.

Comment

Working...
                          X