Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling HS3 from Harmony remote

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Controlling HS3 from Harmony remote

    Is my understanding correct that the plugin polls the hub at a set frequency to determine whether or not a button (for example, one of the light bulb buttons) has been pressed? In other words, unless I set the polling frequency to every second, that HS3 won't be particularly responsive to button presses on the remote?

    I want to use the remote to turn on the lights after a movie has played.It's designed to do that (the Harmony Elite has four buttons, with two labeled for lights and two for outlets) and it can apparently send signals to the SmartThings hub and the Insteon hub. Before I buy one of those I just want to make sure that the plugin won't receive commands from the hub when a button on the remote is pressed.

    Thanks in advance for your help (and I apologize if this questions has already been asked and answered - I've looked but I cannot find it).

    Regards.

    (EDIT: Forgot to add that I don't want to use infrared as the vehicle for communicating info to Homeseer - I'd rather buy another hub and connect it to HS3 with IP-based communication).

  • #2
    Originally posted by jwshome2 View Post
    Is my understanding correct that the plugin polls the hub at a set frequency to determine whether or not a button (for example, one of the light bulb buttons) has been pressed? In other words, unless I set the polling frequency to every second, that HS3 won't be particularly responsive to button presses on the remote?

    I want to use the remote to turn on the lights after a movie has played.It's designed to do that (the Harmony Elite has four buttons, with two labeled for lights and two for outlets) and it can apparently send signals to the SmartThings hub and the Insteon hub. Before I buy one of those I just want to make sure that the plugin won't receive commands from the hub when a button on the remote is pressed.

    Thanks in advance for your help (and I apologize if this questions has already been asked and answered - I've looked but I cannot find it).

    Regards.

    (EDIT: Forgot to add that I don't want to use infrared as the vehicle for communicating info to Homeseer - I'd rather buy another hub and connect it to HS3 with IP-based communication).
    The plugin is polling the hub only to check the current active activity (Like "Watch TV") The is no polling of buttons pressed on the remote control (this can't be done either)
    Regards,

    Rien du Pre
    The Netherlands
    Using:
    Homeseer PRO latest HS4 BETA on a Raspberry
    Plugin's:
    RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

    Comment


    • #3
      This may be possible for you if the lights and devices you want to control are Z-Wave. I have the Z-Wave extender for the hub and it does allow me to control any Z-Wave device from the remote on my Homeseer Z-Wave network. That may offer a work around for you using scenes or events.

      For example, my living room has 4 lights and I control them with homeseer, homeseer wall switches and with Activities from my Harmony remote. You can assign any light and any dim level to any activity.

      Hope this helps. Cheers.

      Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by rxatwell View Post
        This may be possible for you if the lights and devices you want to control are Z-Wave. I have the Z-Wave extender for the hub and it does allow me to control any Z-Wave device from the remote on my Homeseer Z-Wave network. That may offer a work around for you using scenes or events.

        For example, my living room has 4 lights and I control them with homeseer, homeseer wall switches and with Activities from my Harmony remote. You can assign any light and any dim level to any activity.

        Hope this helps. Cheers.

        Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
        rxatwell, I am very interested in setting up what you have. I have a Harmony Ultimate One remote, but not the hub. I have already set up dimmer switched in my living room and would love to be able to control them from my remote. It's a little confusing as to what is needed to integrate my harmony remote with HomeSeer.

        Comment


        • #5
          You can accomplish integration in 2 levels of depth.

          1. You can install a Hub and use the Harmony HS3 plug in. This will allow you to control only one way from HS3 to the hub.

          2. You can install the Hub and a Z-Wave Extender for the Hub. Regardless of plugin, this will allow you to control any compatible devices in your Z-Wave network from your Harmony remote.

          Option 2 gives you the functionality to either control devices individually or assign them to "Activities" on your Harmony remote. For example, when I select 'Movie Time" on my remote the TV will turn on, the receiver will select correct input, and the lights will dim to preset levels.

          Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rxatwell View Post
            You can accomplish integration in 2 levels of depth.

            1. You can install a Hub and use the Harmony HS3 plug in. This will allow you to control only one way from HS3 to the hub.

            2. You can install the Hub and a Z-Wave Extender for the Hub. Regardless of plugin, this will allow you to control any compatible devices in your Z-Wave network from your Harmony remote.

            Option 2 gives you the functionality to either control devices individually or assign them to "Activities" on your Harmony remote. For example, when I select 'Movie Time" on my remote the TV will turn on, the receiver will select correct input, and the lights will dim to preset levels.

            Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
            Thank you. Does the extender send the signal to HomeSeer HS3 to relay to the device or do I need to pair the devices separately from HomeSeer for the Harmony Extender to control them? I did get the Hub and have it set up to allow HS3 to control my entertainment center. I really want to control my lights from the remote now.

            Comment


            • #7
              Neither option is effectively bidirectional. The plugin will allow HS3 to control Harmony and the Z-Wave Extender will allow Harmony to control Z-Wave devices.

              The Extender can function 2 ways, as a primary controller or as a sort of slave controller. You will want to latter.

              When you setup your Harmony Extender you will want to make sure that you select "Join Existing Z-Wave Network". You will include (add) the extender to your Z-Wave network through HS3. The Harmony Extender will then scan your Z-Wave network through the Harmony App for all existing devices and will find the ones it can control. From their you will use the App/Remote to setup your Harmony Activities and control.

              I do hope that it makes sense. This link is a pretty good instruction for the specific setup you have.

              https://support.myharmony.com/en-sk/...tender#devices

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks! That helps a lot.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Does anyone know if the Extender available for Europe / UK? I can't seem to find a UK supplier.

                  Scott

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi,

                    few thoughts about your question;

                    No i dont think the zwave hub is available to europe.

                    But i have another setup which enables me to control hs3 and vice versa.

                    I use the harmonyhub plugin off course, with 4 hubs. but to interact with hs3 I also have an UIRT reciever (ir reciever) next to my hub.

                    I created a dummy homeseer harmonydevice from a remote i dont use. which enables me to learn some IR codes, which are my HS3 specific IR commands such as light on, gate close, etc. So i use my harmony to send these commands, or even from an harmony activity, and the hub send the signal to the usb IR reciever, which will be picked up by the UIRT plugin. Actions are almost immediately, (less then a second to turn a light on and off)

                    regards

                    Bart
                    Regards Bart
                    ------------------------------------------
                    Win7 64Bit on Intel NUCI7 with SSD
                    HSPRO 3.
                    Devices; 1370 Events; 691

                    Jon00 Scripts, JowHue, HSTouch, Plugwise, Z-wave, Ultranetatmo, Ultracam, PHlocation, BLUSBUIRT, MeiHarmony, Buienradar, MEiUnifi Pushover 3P, Random, Nest HSPhone and Blueiris

                    Visonic Powermax Alarm System (HS3) Interface: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11129

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by bartbakels View Post
                      Hi,

                      few thoughts about your question;

                      No i dont think the zwave hub is available to europe.

                      But i have another setup which enables me to control hs3 and vice versa.

                      I use the harmonyhub plugin off course, with 4 hubs. but to interact with hs3 I also have an UIRT reciever (ir reciever) next to my hub.

                      I created a dummy homeseer harmonydevice from a remote i dont use. which enables me to learn some IR codes, which are my HS3 specific IR commands such as light on, gate close, etc. So i use my harmony to send these commands, or even from an harmony activity, and the hub send the signal to the usb IR reciever, which will be picked up by the UIRT plugin. Actions are almost immediately, (less then a second to turn a light on and off)

                      regards

                      Bart
                      Cheers Bart
                      That is a clever idea. I haven't had a remote control since HS2 & X10 days, so I'll hang on and see if Logitech bring out a European Z-Wave Extender. I have my doubts that they will, but you never know!

                      If anyone knows better .....

                      Scott

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I use IRTrans and drhsIpPlugIn to get IR commands to HS.
                        Peter

                        http://ohh.pcgsm.nl

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by rxatwell View Post
                          Neither option is effectively bidirectional. The plugin will allow HS3 to control Harmony and the Z-Wave Extender will allow Harmony to control Z-Wave devices.

                          The Extender can function 2 ways, as a primary controller or as a sort of slave controller. You will want to latter.

                          When you setup your Harmony Extender you will want to make sure that you select "Join Existing Z-Wave Network". You will include (add) the extender to your Z-Wave network through HS3. The Harmony Extender will then scan your Z-Wave network through the Harmony App for all existing devices and will find the ones it can control. From their you will use the App/Remote to setup your Harmony Activities and control.

                          I do hope that it makes sense. This link is a pretty good instruction for the specific setup you have.

                          https://support.myharmony.com/en-sk/...tender#devices
                          I received the Harmony Hub extender today and added it to my hub. I'm trying to add it to HomeSeer now, but I can't seem to figure it out. I went into my Harmony Hub app and added the extender. I then went into the settings\utilities\Z-WAVE\JOIN EXISTING NETWORK\OTHER Z-WAVE NETWORK. From there, it looks like I should be able to get it to join. I go into HomeSeer under my Z-Stick S2 controller and select "Add/Include a Node". It searches for a few minutes and then errors out. Am I doing the right steps to add it or is there a different way to get this to work? I have also tried "Add/Include a Node Non Secure" and the options for sending or receiving network from other controller. None seem to make a difference.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Not sure about that one. Timing of the Join other network and include on HS3 may be a factor. If not, that seems more like a Z-Wave issue. Make sure the extender is close to the HS3 Z-Wave controller when including.

                            Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks. I have both only a foot from each other. Is the "Add node" the correct way to join it from HomeSeer? If so, I'll just keep trying until I either give up or get it to work.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X