Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

350% off sale on now, with free upgrade to HS4 (which means its on its way)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    I think simplextech means that the desktop experience was 'somewhat' sacrificed for the mobile experience.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by kriz83 View Post

      Completely agree with you MattL0 .

      I have the feeling we 'crippled' the desktop experience so users can create/modify events from their phone. I really wonder how often ppl will do that. For mobile displaying purposes, we have HSMobile, which is lacking in many fronts. Or HSTouch, which is even getting less love nowadays.

      Making the analogy with Home Assistant: they do not have an (easy) way to change the config via a mobile device, end yet the userbase is growing every day. What they do have, is a very powerful (and customizable !!) UI experience that targets mobile and desktop users. We still don't have that :-/


      I wondered where you where simplextech. Haven't seen you around in the developer beta section lately. I had the feeling we were always on the same track. You abandoned the HS ship ?
      I was excommunicated from the developer forum when I gave my plugins to Frank and Michael. I refused to drink the Kool-Aid so neither my views or input were welcomed anymore

      Comment


        #18
        Sad to hear, but nice to know you're still around !

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by ksum View Post

          You will not be using a PHONE UI on a PC. The interface design change is to a Responsive interface. Responsive Web Design does NOT mean an interface designed for a phone and showing the same in a PC's browser. It means an interface which CHANGES based on Screen Size. With a Responsive interface things will change position or hide/show from a PC to a medium sized tablet to a phone. Depending on the design I might even see things different on my Pixel 3XL vs my daughter's iPhone with a noticably smaller screen. While the design may not be granular enough to be different on different phones, it should change between at least phone and PC. Probably 7"+/- tablets as well. Yes, on a phone some items may need to be expanded, but on a PC more will display without user interaction.

          ​​​​​​Responsive design takes extra time and additional thought. In the end, however, it means a better overall experience across multiple devices, not a design that is only for a small screen size.
          Have you used the interface yet? I have. Good responsive design is nice and does work across devices and they take into account mobile vs desktop browser and use different template views to provide more or less data. Good design... this design uses the same templates for the same data. What you see/get on the mobile browser is the same as you get on the desktop browser even with having more space available.

          Comment


            #20
            Having tried it or not, the claim is the interface will be responsive and the explanation of a responsive web interface is valid. I am not going to make a claim of finality on a pre-beta product. If the final design only stretches across a browser, then it is not responsive. If different template views are used then there could be a focus on functionality before additional templates/skins are put together. If a grid design is used then it is easier to work on that at one shot. If css queries are used, it could be at initial interface creation or afterwards.

            The images released show a more modern Metro style design. There are many threads where people are requesting this. And many asking for a Modern design. There is a big push for modern design to be Mobile First. Make it work for mobile devices then make it better for larger screens. Until we see a final release we should qualify our statements something like "currently the design is..." Things change between the current state of development and the release.

            Do I like what I have seen of the screenshots released on the web site? No. But you can't make everyone happy. I find the whole Metro style to be a waste of screen real estate. It is designed for touch screens and I use one extensively even on laptops. When I don't have one I get annoyed. That said, I find most Metro style designs having items large enough that Andre the Giant can still fit two fingers in the tile and make selections without worrying.
            Karl S
            HS4Pro on Windows 10
            242 Devices
            56 Z-Wave Nodes
            37 Events
            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
            Google Home: 3 Mini units 1 display

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by ksum View Post
              Do I like what I have seen of the screenshots released on the web site? No. But you can't make everyone happy. I find the whole Metro style to be a waste of screen real estate. It is designed for touch screens and I use one extensively even on laptops. When I don't have one I get annoyed. That said, I find most Metro style designs having items large enough that Andre the Giant can still fit two fingers in the tile and make selections without worrying.
              Oh you're going to love it.....

              No you can't make everyone happy. They will gain new business from the "Phone Automation" crowd.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by ksum View Post
                Having tried it or not, the claim is the interface will be responsive and the explanation of a responsive web interface is valid. I am not going to make a claim of finality on a pre-beta product. If the final design only stretches across a browser, then it is not responsive. If different template views are used then there could be a focus on functionality before additional templates/skins are put together. If a grid design is used then it is easier to work on that at one shot. If css queries are used, it could be at initial interface creation or afterwards.

                The images released show a more modern Metro style design. There are many threads where people are requesting this. And many asking for a Modern design. There is a big push for modern design to be Mobile First. Make it work for mobile devices then make it better for larger screens. Until we see a final release we should qualify our statements something like "currently the design is..." Things change between the current state of development and the release.

                Do I like what I have seen of the screenshots released on the web site? No. But you can't make everyone happy. I find the whole Metro style to be a waste of screen real estate. It is designed for touch screens and I use one extensively even on laptops. When I don't have one I get annoyed. That said, I find most Metro style designs having items large enough that Andre the Giant can still fit two fingers in the tile and make selections without worrying.
                If you follow what hst say on the forum for the closed beta. This will be the final design for now ...that follow their philosophy: young people only use tablet and phone and they want to attract this market.

                if there are designs that switch dynamically depending of the devices you use... It wont be soon i guess.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by ksum View Post
                  If the final design only stretches across a browser, then it is not responsive.
                  Correct the term for that is fluid. I presume HS are getting at something else with the term responsive.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Tillsy View Post

                    Correct the term for that is fluid. I presume HS are getting at something else with the term responsive.
                    When they use the term "responsive" they are literally meaning the response time of devices LOADING into the view. NOT the development/design style.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by simplextech View Post

                      When they use the term "responsive" they are literally meaning the response time of devices LOADING into the view. NOT the development/design style.
                      Seriously? 🤦‍♂️

                      I hope you are joking...UX is obviously not a strong point for HST, but surely they are not that out of touch with modern UX methodologies. 😯

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Speculation would suggest that Responsive could apply to the tiles re-positioning based on screen width. Meaning the tiles may be the same or similar size but show more tiles across on a wider screen and more rows on a narrower.
                        Karl S
                        HS4Pro on Windows 10
                        242 Devices
                        56 Z-Wave Nodes
                        37 Events
                        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                        Google Home: 3 Mini units 1 display

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by ksum View Post
                          Speculation would suggest that Responsive could apply to the tiles re-positioning based on screen width. Meaning the tiles may be the same or similar size but show more tiles across on a wider screen and more rows on a narrower.
                          I'm not speculating.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            I think this version of HS4 will be a stepping stone to better things to come. Like Vista was s stepping stone to the next version of Windows.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              HomeSeer has moved to using Bootstrap for HS4. This is from the getting started for Bootstrap.

                              Get started with Bootstrap, the world’s most popular framework for building responsive, mobile-first sites, with BootstrapCDN and a template starter page.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
                                I think this version of HS4 will be a stepping stone to better things to come. Like Vista was s stepping stone to the next version of Windows.
                                Please no, Vista and Windows 8 were monumental disasters - even Microsoft admitted this by dumping support of Windows 8 years before Windows 7 because only 3 people were still using it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X