Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

350% off sale on now, with free upgrade to HS4 (which means its on its way)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattL0
    replied
    Originally posted by teladog01 View Post

The same thing was said about HS3 when it first came out 🙄🤣
    Step by step is safer

Leave a comment:

• MattL0
    replied
    Originally posted by Tillsy View Post
    even Microsoft admitted this by dumping support of Windows 8 years before Windows 7 because only 3 people were still using it.
    Sorry to post to an old thread but that made my day haha

Leave a comment:

• teladog01
    replied
    Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
    I think this version of HS4 will be a stepping stone to better things to come.
    The same thing was said about HS3 when it first came out 🙄🤣

Leave a comment:

• Tillsy
    replied
    Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
    I think this version of HS4 will be a stepping stone to better things to come. Like Vista was s stepping stone to the next version of Windows.
    Please no, Vista and Windows 8 were monumental disasters - even Microsoft admitted this by dumping support of Windows 8 years before Windows 7 because only 3 people were still using it.

Leave a comment:

• drhtmal
    replied
    HomeSeer has moved to using Bootstrap for HS4. This is from the getting started for Bootstrap.

Get started with Bootstrap, the world’s most popular framework for building responsive, mobile-first sites, with BootstrapCDN and a template starter page.

Leave a comment:

• drhtmal
    replied
    I think this version of HS4 will be a stepping stone to better things to come. Like Vista was s stepping stone to the next version of Windows.

Leave a comment:

• simplextech
    replied
    Originally posted by ksum View Post
    Speculation would suggest that Responsive could apply to the tiles re-positioning based on screen width. Meaning the tiles may be the same or similar size but show more tiles across on a wider screen and more rows on a narrower.
    I'm not speculating.

Leave a comment:

• ksum
    replied
    Speculation would suggest that Responsive could apply to the tiles re-positioning based on screen width. Meaning the tiles may be the same or similar size but show more tiles across on a wider screen and more rows on a narrower.

Leave a comment:

• teladog01
    replied
    Originally posted by simplextech View Post

When they use the term "responsive" they are literally meaning the response time of devices LOADING into the view. NOT the development/design style.
    Seriously? 🤦‍♂️

I hope you are joking...UX is obviously not a strong point for HST, but surely they are not that out of touch with modern UX methodologies. 😯

Leave a comment:

• simplextech
    replied
    Originally posted by Tillsy View Post

Correct the term for that is fluid. I presume HS are getting at something else with the term responsive.
    When they use the term "responsive" they are literally meaning the response time of devices LOADING into the view. NOT the development/design style.

Leave a comment:

• Tillsy
    replied
    If the final design only stretches across a browser, then it is not responsive.
    Correct the term for that is fluid. I presume HS are getting at something else with the term responsive.

Leave a comment:

• MattL0
    replied
    Having tried it or not, the claim is the interface will be responsive and the explanation of a responsive web interface is valid. I am not going to make a claim of finality on a pre-beta product. If the final design only stretches across a browser, then it is not responsive. If different template views are used then there could be a focus on functionality before additional templates/skins are put together. If a grid design is used then it is easier to work on that at one shot. If css queries are used, it could be at initial interface creation or afterwards.

The images released show a more modern Metro style design. There are many threads where people are requesting this. And many asking for a Modern design. There is a big push for modern design to be Mobile First. Make it work for mobile devices then make it better for larger screens. Until we see a final release we should qualify our statements something like "currently the design is..." Things change between the current state of development and the release.

Do I like what I have seen of the screenshots released on the web site? No. But you can't make everyone happy. I find the whole Metro style to be a waste of screen real estate. It is designed for touch screens and I use one extensively even on laptops. When I don't have one I get annoyed. That said, I find most Metro style designs having items large enough that Andre the Giant can still fit two fingers in the tile and make selections without worrying.
    If you follow what hst say on the forum for the closed beta. This will be the final design for now ...that follow their philosophy: young people only use tablet and phone and they want to attract this market.

if there are designs that switch dynamically depending of the devices you use... It wont be soon i guess.

Leave a comment:

• simplextech
    replied
    Do I like what I have seen of the screenshots released on the web site? No. But you can't make everyone happy. I find the whole Metro style to be a waste of screen real estate. It is designed for touch screens and I use one extensively even on laptops. When I don't have one I get annoyed. That said, I find most Metro style designs having items large enough that Andre the Giant can still fit two fingers in the tile and make selections without worrying.
    Oh you're going to love it.....

No you can't make everyone happy. They will gain new business from the "Phone Automation" crowd.

Leave a comment:

• ksum
    replied
    Having tried it or not, the claim is the interface will be responsive and the explanation of a responsive web interface is valid. I am not going to make a claim of finality on a pre-beta product. If the final design only stretches across a browser, then it is not responsive. If different template views are used then there could be a focus on functionality before additional templates/skins are put together. If a grid design is used then it is easier to work on that at one shot. If css queries are used, it could be at initial interface creation or afterwards.

The images released show a more modern Metro style design. There are many threads where people are requesting this. And many asking for a Modern design. There is a big push for modern design to be Mobile First. Make it work for mobile devices then make it better for larger screens. Until we see a final release we should qualify our statements something like "currently the design is..." Things change between the current state of development and the release.

Leave a comment:

• simplextech
    replied

You will not be using a PHONE UI on a PC. The interface design change is to a Responsive interface. Responsive Web Design does NOT mean an interface designed for a phone and showing the same in a PC's browser. It means an interface which CHANGES based on Screen Size. With a Responsive interface things will change position or hide/show from a PC to a medium sized tablet to a phone. Depending on the design I might even see things different on my Pixel 3XL vs my daughter's iPhone with a noticably smaller screen. While the design may not be granular enough to be different on different phones, it should change between at least phone and PC. Probably 7"+/- tablets as well. Yes, on a phone some items may need to be expanded, but on a PC more will display without user interaction.

​​​​​​Responsive design takes extra time and additional thought. In the end, however, it means a better overall experience across multiple devices, not a design that is only for a small screen size.
    Have you used the interface yet? I have. Good responsive design is nice and does work across devices and they take into account mobile vs desktop browser and use different template views to provide more or less data. Good design... this design uses the same templates for the same data. What you see/get on the mobile browser is the same as you get on the desktop browser even with having more space available.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X