Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Control Homeseer with Harmony Workaround?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control Homeseer with Harmony Workaround?

Since logitech won't give access to the API to easily control homeseer, I came up with an idea for a work around.

Simply have an IR controller for homeseer (off the shelf or make your own) and then program homeseer as a 'device' in the remote. You would then have different homeseer events etc as the device's options. You could even program physical keys to control a popular event.

Would this work in practice? I guess you would have to assign / program IR codes. Also it would meen the system would be stateless since the remote has no feedback, only sending out IR commands. (you would have toggle options rather than on/off)

You can use HA Bridge and setup whatever you want as a hue bulb. The Harmony controllers pick it up.

This guy's plugin made it SUPER easy. Wayyy easier to setup than my Vera.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1213711

Comment

Does the Harmony Hub Plugin work? I just bought a Sel Pro and installed the plugin and configured it with my name/passwd, hub IP, etc and i do not see any devices when i scan. Any idea if this works?

Comment

Originally posted by ajgurrieri View Post
        Does the Harmony Hub Plugin work? I just bought a Sel Pro and installed the plugin and configured it with my name/passwd, hub IP, etc and i do not see any devices when i scan. Any idea if this works?
        I know more users do use the plugin this way.

Can you give me more details and logging?
        Regards,

Rien du Pre
        The Netherlands
        Using:
        Homeseer PRO latest HS4 BETA on a Raspberry
        Plugin's:
        RFXCOM, mcsMQTT, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by samburner3 View Post
          Since logitech won't give access to the API to easily control homeseer, I came up with an idea for a work around.

Simply have an IR controller for homeseer (off the shelf or make your own) and then program homeseer as a 'device' in the remote. You would then have different homeseer events etc as the device's options. You could even program physical keys to control a popular event.

Would this work in practice? I guess you would have to assign / program IR codes. Also it would meen the system would be stateless since the remote has no feedback, only sending out IR commands. (you would have toggle options rather than on/off)
          Hi,

This is how I did it a year ago, I bought a USB UIRT IR reciever/sender. I use the harmony plugin for setting activities and sending commands. But i also programmed a dummy HS3 device in my harmony, now when i press one of the HS3 devices buttons on the harmony the USB uirt recieves these commands which can trigger homeseer events or devices.

Bart
          Regards Bart
          ------------------------------------------
          Win7 64Bit on Intel NUCI7 with SSD
          HSPRO 3.
          Devices; 1370 Events; 691

Jon00 Scripts, JowHue, HSTouch, Plugwise, Z-wave, Ultranetatmo, Ultracam, PHlocation, BLUSBUIRT, MeiHarmony, Buienradar, MEiUnifi Pushover 3P, Random, Nest HSPhone and Blueiris

Visonic Powermax Alarm System (HS3) Interface: http://www.domoticaforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=11129

Comment

Originally posted by bartbakels View Post
            Hi,

This is how I did it a year ago, I bought a USB UIRT IR reciever/sender. I use the harmony plugin for setting activities and sending commands. But i also programmed a dummy HS3 device in my harmony, now when i press one of the HS3 devices buttons on the harmony the USB uirt recieves these commands which can trigger homeseer events or devices.

Bart
            I'm doing the same thing with an esp8266 and ir receiver 'thing'. The esp8266 can be configured to work like a wifi Arduino. I'm still working on it, but my approach is very simple:
            - create device in homeseer, with customvalue range 0-0xffffffff
            - esp8266 sends homeseer JSON request to update device value to the received ir code.
            - homeseer event based on device value change launches script.
            - script has select/case/case based on ir code which was stored as device value. Could also create discrete events based on the value, but I think a big script is more manageable.
            - script logs the received values so you can see what the values to add to the script the first time.
            - dealing with ir values directly is messy, but I don't have to deal with learning codes or finding them online.

With little additional code & parts, the esp8266 could also send ir commands, but then you'd have to deal with ir device code libraries which is a huge job, which the harmony people seem to have covered nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by jryanishere View Post
              You can use HA Bridge and setup whatever you want as a hue bulb. The Harmony controllers pick it up.

This guy's plugin made it SUPER easy. Wayyy easier to setup than my Vera.
              http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1213711
              I am trying to control some Homeseer devices with a Harmony Elite remote, and it looks like installing an HA-Bridge is the way to do so.
              However, I have only been able to get as far as downloading an "ha-bridge-5.5.2RC3.jar" file to my Windows 7 pc, which is running Homeseer.
              I have no idea what to do with this and clicking on the file does not do anything.

Is there an easy to follow step-by-step guide/instructions somewhere to allow me to:
              1) install and set up the ha-bridge
              and
              2) get it working with harmony to control homeseer-associated light switches (z-wave).

I have been googling and searching on the Homeseer message board all day, but can not figure this out.

Edit: Solved. It took 3 days of troubleshooting and trial & error, but I have now figured it out.🙂

Comment

Working...
              X