USBUIRT on HS4/Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied

Hi drule, finally migrated to HS4; trying to get the plugin to work with my USB-UIRT but getting the following :
    Any idea what could be wrong?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	91
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	1579371Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	65
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	1579372​​

12/6/2022 10:09:02 PM
    HomeSeer
    Warning
    I/O interface IR Plugin is down, executable is not running, restarting ...
    12/6/2022 10:08:32 PM
    HomeSeer
    Starting Plug-In
    Plugin IR Plugin started successfully in 341 milliseconds
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Found UsbUirt windows device
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Loaded 0 IR senders.
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Loaded 0 IR receivers
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Loaded 0 IR codes
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Starting IR Plugin, version 4.0.0.6
    HomeSeer
    Starting Plug-In
    Initializing plugin IR Plugin ...
    HomeSeer
    Starting Plug-In
    IR Plugin loaded in 15103 milliseconds
    12/6/2022 10:08:17 PM
    HomeSeer
    Info
    Plugin drhsIR with instance IR Plugin has connected. IP:127.0.0.1:54851
    12/6/2022 10:08:17 PM
    HomeSeer
    Warning
    I/O interface IR Plugin is down, executable is not running, restarting ...
    12/6/2022 10:07:47 PM
    HomeSeer
    Starting Plug-In
    Plugin IR Plugin started successfully in 352 milliseconds
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Found UsbUirt windows device
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Loaded 0 IR senders.
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Loaded 0 IR receivers
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Loaded 0 IR codes
    IR Plugin
    Info
    Starting IR Plugin, version 4.0.0.6​

Leave a comment:

• pistacheL0
    replied
    Originally posted by drule View Post
    I just uploaded v4.0.0.4 of my plugin to the updater. It now supports sending IR codes via a USBUirt on Windows. Unfortunately it will need extra coding to get it to work on Linux and I hope to release that in the next version soon. Receiving IR codes from a USBUirt will be in another version sometime after that.
    Hi Drule , is that supported on Linux now ? Thank you

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thank you Drule,
    great news,
    still on HS3 but should eventually migrate; will report back,

Leave a comment:

• drule
    replied
    I just uploaded v4.0.0.4 of my plugin to the updater. It now supports sending IR codes via a USBUirt on Windows. Unfortunately it will need extra coding to get it to work on Linux and I hope to release that in the next version soon. Receiving IR codes from a USBUirt will be in another version sometime after that.

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    The Broadlink RM4, and I believe all Broadlink models, are mode-based so they can be either sending IR or receiving IR, but not both at the same time. The software I developed for the mcsMQTT plugin was done based upon it's design use-case where the IR receive was done for the purpose of learning an IR code and not for the purpose of providing notification that an IR code was detected. The Broadlink internal firmware establishes a time window for detecting a code while learning. Since the time window is fixed it is not possible to setup the device for a 100% detection interval. It could reenter learning mode after timeout, but then there would be times that it could miss a IR signal.

Tasmota firmware supports both IR Receive and IR Send and can be installed in a device such as YTF IR Bridge - Tasmota. I have no specific experience with the YTF. What I have done is installed Tasmota in a generic ESP8266 as described in Section 17.23 of http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf. My experience was that it worked fine for sending IR to control equipment and providing feedback that an IR code was sent. What it would not do is simultaneously do both. I suspect is by design since it would be receiving the same code it was sending.

What I did was separate the packaging into a separate IR receive function and IR send function so I could receive IR at a central location where my pickup was and send IR from a more advantageous blaster location. Since the two are independent devices there was no possibility of contention.

Leave a comment:

• Traction Tim
    replied
    However, the HS4 I am using does not give access to this plugin. Perhaps it does run on Windows HS4?
    It does work with HS4 on Win10. I use the two way ability of the UsbUirt to allow a IR remote to trigger a HS4 event to send out Z-wave and IR commands (For example pressing OFF on the remote triggers a HS4 event to turn the lights on, switch various items off with IR commands, then turns off various z-wave sockets). I couldn't replicate that with the GC Pro, but the Broadlink might sort it.

My UsbUirt is presently working on a Usb to IP remote connection (VirtualHere and an old RasPi) but I'm not happy with that as it's a bit flaky. I was looking at different Usb to IP systems, but the Broadlink is much cheaper than those.

Can anybody confirm if the Broadlink can replicate the two way "IR from remote control triggers HS4 event" and "HS4 event sends out IR to control AV amp etc" functionality ?

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Am I right in understanding that a Broadlink unit (also the Broadlink Mini 4?) will connect to the raspberry/HS4 by using the MCSMQTT plugin?
    Yes, I have the Pro 4. The Mini 4 should be the same as the Pro 4 without the RF capability. If there is an issue we can easily work through it. Each devices reports its type as a 4 character number. mcsMQTT uses it to know the communication protocol to use. I have made some assumptions about the range of numbers that will cover the Broadlink 4 series based upon the Pro 4 model I have. If the Mini 4 was given something that does not fit the pattern then the pattern can be updated.

Leave a comment:

• ebreider
    replied
    Am I right in understanding that a Broadlink unit (also the Broadlink Mini 4?) will connect to the raspberry/HS4 by using the MCSMQTT plugin?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks for the feedback,

I will do further testing and keep you posted.

However I feel like the Globalcache will require multiple units and proprietary emitters to reproduce my current setup and they are quite expensive $$$.

at 20$, will probably give the Broadlink a try.

This being said, if you have a chance to look into the USBUIRT API and integration, I'll be more than glad to offer testing assistance.

Thank you

Yann

Leave a comment:

• drule
    replied
    Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
    Thanks Michael,

I've considered other options, including Broadlink and am also testing a Wifi GlobalCache but I'm concerned about losing some USBUIRT benefits:

- Power : ability to put multiple emitters in parallel on a significantly long cable
    ​​​​​​- Zones : 3 zones or more

- At least one "blaster" type zone with enough power to transmit long distance (vs "stick on" only)

​​- Compatibility : ability to use non proprietary IR emitters
    ​​​​​USB-UIRT fulfills these requirements so I'm not inclined to change until I can confirm another unit does the same.

On the other hand BLUSBUIRT doesn't offer direct Pronto hex input so I'll definitely consider the MCSMQTT interface benefits.
    ​​​​​
    The Wifi Global Cache is a great device. I'm working on some tweaks and improvements for Global Cache support which are 99% ready. I don't seem to have much luck with getting stuff into the HomeSeer Updater in a timely manner, so if you want to grab the latest version, look for it in this forum. There's one significant bug I fixed to do with device and code edits showing up in existing events. It worked in an earlier version of HS4 but something changed (not exactly sure when) which broke things and I had to make a change to accommodate.

Leave a comment:

• drule
    replied
    Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
    ebreider did you get feedback on this and/or try Blusbuirt on HS4? This is a must have for me before migrating to HS4. or drule, did you have a chance to add USBUIRT support? Thx
    My life is still in a storage container. House move is taking for ever! :-(

I reached out to Jon at USBUIRT at the end of December and he sent me some API info which looks straight forward but is all Windows. I haven't done any testing yet but the first question will be can his driver DLL run in mono for linux/raspberry pi users? Jon did offer to send me a device which I didn't take him up on because I thought I'd be moving in to my new place soon. If I'd known then that I'd still be waiting over 3 months later, I'd have taken him up on this offer. Still might have to!

Leave a comment:

• drule
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
    The broadlink mini is a WiFi to IR with learning capability that sell for around $20. mcsMQTT supports it in both HS3 and HS4. Can learn with a remote or can use Pronto hex codes for a more expanded discrete capability. If you want 433 MHz and 315 MHz RF also then get the Pro version.
    For $20 I might get one as a "just because!"

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks Michael,

I've considered other options, including Broadlink and am also testing a Wifi GlobalCache but I'm concerned about losing some USBUIRT benefits:

- Power : ability to put multiple emitters in parallel on a significantly long cable
    ​​​​​​- Zones : 3 zones or more

- At least one "blaster" type zone with enough power to transmit long distance (vs "stick on" only)

​​- Compatibility : ability to use non proprietary IR emitters
    ​​​​​USB-UIRT fulfills these requirements so I'm not inclined to change until I can confirm another unit does the same.

On the other hand BLUSBUIRT doesn't offer direct Pronto hex input so I'll definitely consider the MCSMQTT interface benefits.
    ​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    The broadlink mini is a WiFi to IR with learning capability that sell for around $20. mcsMQTT supports it in both HS3 and HS4. Can learn with a remote or can use Pronto hex codes for a more expanded discrete capability. If you want 433 MHz and 315 MHz RF also then get the Pro version.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Blade is still active on the board but he seems to have abandoned some plugins like BLUSBUIRT; posted a few questions but never got answers back.

Agreed this is disappointing; the USB-UIRT is really a great device; I modified mine and hardwired the 3 zones, including the onboard blaster so I could control hard to reach devices like my A/C; and despite some feedback that it wouldn't work I have more than a dozen "recycled" emitters in parallel from various sources (unsoldered from cheap/old remotes, etc.) and it works flawlessly.

Will eventually migrate to HS4 , will let you know if it works or not.

or, hopefully, drule will eventually dig in his box of old devices and add support to his plugin

cheers,

Yann

Leave a comment:

Working...
X