Replacing Slink-e/Xantech with IRTrans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Slink-e/Xantech with IRTrans

I have a 4-zone system using the old Slink-e and Xantech IR. Equipment is in a closet and zoned rooms have Xantech IR units and a handheld remote. HS (Currently 1.7, but moving to HS2) can tell via the Slink-e which zone is receiving IR and acts accordingly. So if someone in the living room presses CD/1 on the handheld remote, I have an event that sends IR to the reciever assigned to zone1 to power on, select CD, start a Media-Player event to start a playlist (associated with CD/1)

I can't tell if your plug-in handles received IR by zone. So that is my first question.

Secondly, I'm having a hard time visualizing the hardware setup. I assume I wouldnhave an IRTrans unit (ethernet or bus) in each room. What hardware do I have in the media closet (HS PC is there too) to control each of the zoned recievers and to talk to HS?

Thanks,
    Barry

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
    I can't tell if your plug-in handles received IR by zone. So that is my first question.
    Hi Barry, it does not. I'm unaware of any such support within the HomeSeer IR architecture. Currently, the plug-in notifies HomeSeer of IR received via the IREvent() callback, which will only take the location number as a parameter. When I was developing the plug-in, I thought it was a bit odd, that zones were supported, but no way to determine what zone received IR came from. How does it work with your slink-e setup? (Read on for why this may not be an issue for you, though...)

Originally posted by lhfarm View Post
    Secondly, I'm having a hard time visualizing the hardware setup. I assume I would have an IRTrans unit (ethernet or bus) in each room. What hardware do I have in the media closet (HS PC is there too) to control each of the zoned recievers and to talk to HS?
    That's right, you would need a device in each zone to catch IR, (if you're using IR remotes at least), then another device in the media closet that these received commands would be relayed to and transmitted out of, to the equipment. As far as which devices, it's up to you. You could go with all ethernet modules at every location, or one serial/USB device, along with additional bus units connected back to the serial/USB device via the IRTrans 2/3 wire bus. You'd probably want to select a device with multiple emitter ports for the media closet so you can direct IR to a specific piece of equipment.

You would use the routing capability built into the units to automatically route IR back to the media closet without HS intervention. HS would still see all of the commands and could optionally act on certain received commands as you saw fit, but would not need to be involved in relaying IR from zone to media closet and out the appropriate emitter. I'm not sure if the built-in routing capabilities are capable of delivering IR to a specific external emitter, or just the device. It looks like this would be critical for you. I'll ask Marcus and see what he says...

Can I ask why you're considering replacing your Slink-e/Xantech solution?

Comment

Routing IR to a Specific External Emitter

Hi again Barry,
      Got a response from Marcus on this and he says internal routing to a specific external emitter is possible with any of the IRTrans LAN Controllers.

So, for equipment you might go with an IRT-LANCONTROL in the media closet, and ethernet modules in each of the zones (rooms). The IRT-LANCONTROL has connectors for 4 external emitters and you can designate that codes received in a specific room would be relayed to a specific emitter on the IRT-LANCONTROL. This is configured via a built-in web server present on the devices.

And all of this would be done without HomeSeer having to be involved in any way, although it would still hear the commands and be able to act by turning a light on, or whatever, as desired.

Does that help?

Comment

Thanks, that does sound good. I am not replacing my system, but trying to duplicate it for some friends who just built a home. I've not found any other devices that seem to have the same ablilites as the Slink-e w/ expansion board (two-way IR by zone). In addition to having equipment serving four zones in the closet, they have two complete home theater systems.

It has been so long since I setup the Slink-e and I'm away from the system, but I seem to remember being able to identify an IR event by zone. I'll double check this weekend. I know it can be done, I just don't remember the setup.

The other issue introduced with the two separate theater systems was syncing music piped to all zones at the same time. My system just has an A/V distribution amp hooked to my soundcard and feeding the CD-in on the individual zoned recievers.

Barry

Comment

Working...
        X