Results from installing 1.1.12 plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Results from installing 1.1.12 plugin

I installed a LAN POE unit, the IRTrans software, and the plugin. All in all the setup went smoothly and everything works flawlessly.

The only glitch I found was in getting the IRTrans plugin config page to come up. I kept clicking on the IRTrans config button in the setup -> interfaces page. The HS setup page would just reload, as if it was just doing another page request for localhost:8080/conf every time I hit the IRTrans config button.

I was about to give up when, on a whim, I changed to "0" in the com port setting to "1". Bingo... problem went away. I'm sure that's easily fixable.

In the future I'll be adding more LAN POE's to additional rooms, and I plan on setting up each unit as a seperate zone with the ability to route IR to individual zones. Here's how I see the setup working and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Each LAN POE unit will be forced to a specific IP, no DHCP. I will map POE units to bus designations by placing them in the server command line in the intended bus order. In my case:

The LAN unit order on the command line will be:

irserver 192.168.0.32;192.168.0.33;192.168.0.34

Which will create the following mappings:

bus 0 = 192.168.0.32
    bus 1 = 192.168.0.33
    bus 2 = 192.168.0.34

I can then route IR to specific zones by selecting the proper zone parameter in the HS IR setup page.

bus 0 = HS zone 99
    bus 1 = HS zone 199
    bus 2 = HS zone 299

I'm assuming that other zones don't apply in a LAN environment (i.e. zones not ending in 99) as they are for addressing different IRTrans "units", which only applies in a USB/Serial (non-ethernet) environment.

Any feedback is welcome. If there's a better way to go about all this and/or any of my assumptions are incorrect let me know.

In any case, I'm impressed with the IRTrans product. It's extremely solid and reliable. Plus, the ability to route IR over ethernet is a welcome step forward. Goodbye Xantech zoned IR.

Many thanks to YoYo for all his hard work and a great plugin.
    Last edited by RegForte; March 24, 2007, 01:55 PM.

Hi RegForte, glad to hear things are working well!

Originally posted by RegForte View Post
    The only glitch I found was in getting the IRTrans plugin config page to come up. I kept clicking on the IRTrans config button in the setup -> interfaces page. The HS setup page would just reload, as if it was just doing another page request for localhost:8080/conf every time I hit the IRTrans config button.

I was about to give up when, on a whim, I changed to "0" in the com port setting to "1". Bingo... problem went away. I'm sure that's easily fixable.
    You know, I have no idea why that would be... The plug-in makes no reference to COM ports at all. In fact, it's a HS bug that the COM Port field even appears on the form (which I reported some time ago...). We'll have to keep an eye on this and see if it becomes a problem...

Originally posted by RegForte View Post
    Each LAN POE unit will be forced to a specific IP, no DHCP.
    It's probably still fine to use DHCP as long as your DHCP server allows reservations. You can enter the mac addresses of the IRTrans devices and have the DHCP server assign them specific addresses.

I think you're understanding everything correctly. Also keep in mind that the LAN Controller devices also support bus units as well.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
    X