Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRTrans Implementation Questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    IRTrans Implementation Questions

    My Homeseers pc is operating system Visa

    I have a few questions about the IRTRans.

    How you hook up the IRtrans to homeseers.
    1. USB modules or Ethernet modules. (MAYBE USB is my choose)
    2. What equipment do I need if I want to go USB only (control 1 tv and cable box for now) and what is the cost in USA dollars.
    3. What is the differents between IRTRANS AND IRTRANS BUS.

    do you hook up the Irtrans to your Pc (Homesser) and Irtrans bus are used to control your Ir Device in other parts of the home.

    What is the best option for expanding to multiple tv and cable boxs.

    My homeseers is running in the basement closet. My Tv and cable box is on my 2nd floor.

    Thank You

    Greg Mack
    Last edited by BIGMACK48; December 3, 2008, 02:33 PM.

    #2
    Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post
    How you hook up the IRtrans to homeseers.
    1. USB modules or Ethernet modules. (MAYBE USB is my choose)
    The plug-in will work with about any of the available modules, so it's up to you as to what you think would fit into your situation the best.

    Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post
    2. What equipment do I need if I want to go USB only (control 1 tv and cable box for now) and what is the cost in USA dollars.
    You might want to check with the IRTrans folks directly, but the USB module is IRT-USB-Mod. Looks like the current exchange rate would put it at about $106.

    Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post
    3. What is the differents between IRTRANS AND IRTRANS BUS.
    The IRTrans bus is one way to connect a series of units together. You buy one regular unit, then more of the bus units and connect via a 3 wire bus.
    Nowadays, it seems to be more common for people to go with the ethernet devices and just add as many as they need (all the same device such as the IRT-LAN-Mod); but the plug-in supports them all so it comes down to your individual situation.

    Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post
    do you hook up the Irtrans to your Pc (Homesser) and Irtrans bus are used to control your Ir Device in other parts of the home.
    Yeah, that's one way to do it. The bus units connect to the main unit via a 3 wire serial bus. All of the bus units can also get their power from the bus as well.

    Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post
    What is the best option for expanding to multiple tv and cable boxs.
    You can purchase bus units and run a CAT-5 wire in home-run fashion, or daisy-chain fashion to each bus unit from the main unit. Or, you can go the ethernet route and purchase an ethernet unit for each area in the house you want to control.

    Originally posted by BIGMACK48 View Post
    My homeseers is running in the basement closet. My Tv and cable box is on my 2nd floor.
    Might want to look at the ethernet version in this case...

    Comment


      #3
      My two cents - Go Ethernet

      I have both the serial bus versions and the ethernet versions. I agree with Brian, if I had to do it over again, I would have just bought the Ethernet versions (they are more expensive) but they are very easy to install and configure.

      Chuck

      Comment

      Working...
      X