This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature requests

I will be writing a plugin and a script to support Ray's Expandable Speaker Selector (ESS) which can be found at www.hacs.com. Please let me know what features you would like to see.
    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

the tricky thing about this is the ess1/ess7 supporting two independant amps at the same time. For instance, if i have HS going into inpupt A, and a receiver (for radio, cd, etc) going into amp B, both can run at the same time in different zones. here are a few complications I have thought of:

lets say my wife is listening to classical music from amp A while she's in the bath, and I want to tell HS to play some 80s music in the rest of the house. I'd have to use amp B. somehow the plugin would need to konw that amp a is in use, and B is the available one.

TTS zoning is also a really cool opportunity here. My morning routine, for instance, includes some easy listening music over all the speakers while everyone gets ready for work/school. THere are tts announcements, like a 1 minute warning on the shower, that currently either everyone has to hear them, or all speakers get turned while the announcement is made just in the bath room.

with the two zone feature, the bathroom coudl switch from the input that's providing the easy listening music to the tts input/amp, give the announcement, and then switch back.

I'm not sure what the best way is to handle all of this logic...it may be that it would help to be abe to designate input A and B for certain things, like A is always the tts input? but then what if someone is listening to music on A and a tts announcement is neaded elsewhere in the house, where they are using B?

anyway, not much of a "feature request" but more of a feature issue, i suppose!

also, as far as the ess7 goes, the volume POTS is a 12 step, from what I understand. My plan/goal is to be able to somehow link the volume of each module with a push button on my upb switches (could be anything, though, the x10 stick rf switches, zwave switches, anything that can dim a device).

so my plan is to be able to press one button for volume down, and another button for volume up. each press would drop/go up to the next step. I'm not sure what needs be done for that, probably the volume up/down will have to be an action for event triggers?

also, speaking of volume, it would be nice to be able to define a default volume for each zone. for instance, i have the same size speaker in my 60 sq foot bathrom as i do in my 1000 square foot "great room." obviously the bathroom speaker does not need to be as loud as the great room speaker. if I could tell the plug in that when a certain speaker is turned on it should "snap to" a preset level, that would be awesome. it could, over course, be adjusted up or down beyond that level, but it would be a good starting point, and for each zone to have that feature would be great!

anyway, hopefully this gets the discussion started!
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I would like to see an option like, if music is on and HS needs to make a annoucement I would like it to fade out the music first then (HS annouce) ,then when finished fade in the music. I think that it would sound more elegant
      Hector
      MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Do you think it would be possible to have a ramp up/ramp down voume feature? I'm not sure if this is something that could be configured in the ess or would have to be a plugin feature, but I thought I'd mention it here.
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I use Ray's AB8SS now. One of the great features of the WAF-AB8SS plugin is the ability to Get and Set the speaker pattern in one script line - for example:
          hs.plugin("WAF AB8SS").SetSpeakerPattern("10101011A") - turns on speaker sets 1, 3, 5, 7 and 8 to input A.
          I realize this would be more complicated with the ESS, but is it possible to do the same with the ESS series? In other words, set on/off, input and volume in one swoop, something along the lines of:
          hs.plugin("jasv_ESS").SetSpeakers("1A6,0A0,1B6,1A-,1A11,1B4,1B+,0B1")
          and
          hs.plugin("WAF AB8SS").GetSpeakers would return the string for use in scripting. I use this feature all the time to store the current speaker configuration so that I can set it back again after a brief temporary change (for announcements, etc.).

I don't have a clue what the devices would look like for this plugin. On/Off, A/B, Vol+/Vol-, Vol0, Vol1, Vol2, .... Thanks for taking this on, James.

Mark
          Mark

Comment

I think it would be good to have some sort of script commands also, so that it would funciton similarly to the ab8ss.

I wonder if the macros could be used for this also? I know i plan on creating macros for my most common configurations, which will make event building much easier (just "macro X on" instead of tons of speakers on/off with inputs a/b and volume xx.)

The ability to save current settings, take action, and restore current settings is quite valuable, though, i agree.
            Plugins:

Comment

James, just curious hows the plugin going along?
              Hector
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I am working on the script first because it is easier to test. I am communicating with the ESS just fine and I am mostly working mostly on the user interface.

The same functions used by the script will be used by the plugin. Because of that I don't expect that the plugin will take much longer once the script is done.

Do you have the ESS yet? I may be ready for some testers for the script by early next week.
                James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Actually, aim waiting for that buyout to succeed. Seems that I may have to buy directly.I would really like to participate in the trail.
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I would wait a little longer for the group buy. I worry that estimates in software development aren't that accurate especially when it isn't a full time job.
                    James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Plus, Ray tells me he is out of stock anyway, and so whether you buy it from his webpage or as part of the group buy, we're still looking at about a month. unfortunately, i seem to remember this being the case with the ab8ss as well. hopefully i'll hear something tomorrow.
                      Plugins:

Comment

James, hows things going along with the programming???
                        Hector
                        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

I am actually pretty close. My script version seems solid to me and I am now working on the plugin version. If there is anyone out there that has an ESS and is ready to start Beta testing please PM me and I can post a version of the script now and the plug in very soon.
                          James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Well hopefully we will hear something in the next couple weeks about product shipping...
                            Over The Hill
                            What Hill?
                            Where?
                            When?
                            I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

I'll definitely keep everyone up to speed on the order progress.
                              Plugins:

Comment

Working...
                              X