ESS Power buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESS Power buy

I'm arranging a power buy for the ESS equipment. If you are seriously considering purchasing some ESS stuff, you ought to consider the power buy, at least, at first, for two resaons: product availability and cost. Ray doesn't have a whole lot of the ess stuff in stock, and if we all go and order it from him individually, we're likely to see backorders. Also, he said he'd be willing to give a volume discount if we order enough quantity all at once. so here's the info I need from people interested:
    1. # of modules
    2. Type of modules
    3. If you have an AB8ss purchased directly from HACS that you'll be wanting to send back to Ray for credit toward purchase of ESS
    4. Whether you will want wall mount or rack mount
    5. US or European power adapter
    Regarding #2, it is my personal recommendation that everyone get the ess7 (controlled by ess1). I think it is the most versatile of them all. If you have specific needs for a different one, let me know, though so far the interest is in ess7 only, so I'm not sure the power buy would apply to any other modules. If you have any questions about ESS, how it works, features, etc, please let me know. I've spoken with Ray extensively about his products, and he seems to be difficult to reach some times, so i have no problem representing him (nothing in it for me, except that I think ESS is AWESOME!!!)

I've already heard from Rotech and JackPod. So, if anyone else is interested, let me know!
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

I've got a couple of questions:

Rack mounting, how many modules wide would fit in a standard rack? I'd prefer to rack mount, but I think I'm also going to want 8-10 modules, and I'm not sure the width...

How do the modules hook together, meaning that if I were to rack mount them, could I connect one row to another row if I exceed the width of my rack?

I'm in for an ESS1 and at least a few, possibly up to 12 ESS7's
    Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

Depending on what can be worked out I may be in for 1 ESS1 and 2-3 ESS7 rackmounted.

Comment

OK, I just spoke with Ray, and have all sorts of answers to questions I've been asked, both on the forum and via email. Here we go:

Power supply: Each module draw power from the control module, no matter how many modules. If a person had a huge # of modules (20, 30 etc), a larger power supply would be provided on purchase.

Volume: This is the cool part - unlike the ab8ss, the volume of each speaker is NOT affected by turning on/off up/down other speakers.

Dimensions: a standard 19" rack would hold 8 speaker output modules and 1 controller module. So here is a dimensional breakdown:<O></O>

Ess1:

width: 3.85"
        height: 5.25"
        depth: 3.5"

speaker module ess7
        width: 1.85"
        height: 5.25"
        depth: 3.5"
        weight: 4lb

Ray actually assembles and configures each order prior to shipping it out. So, if I were to order 16 ess modules (plus the ess1 controller) it would be 33.45" wide, minus mounting brackets. If I wanted that to be "cut in half" and have two parts, it can be done. We just need to know ahead of time what your max # of modules in one section you want.

Connections: some people have expressed curiosity about the wiring connections between the modules, and how the modules connect to each other. The speaker wire connections are identical for the ab8ss and ess.

The modules connect to each other with screws through the removable side plate. Power and comm. wires are "daisy chained" in a parallel configuration. Ray also said something about the power/comms connections between modules being made through male/female connectors on the sides, when they are bolted together. I told him I didn't quite get the picture, and asked if he could send me some pictures of it. He said he'd try to get that done. He did assure me, though, that there is nothing proprietary or difficult in the way it connects.

Also, Ray said he assigned each module's address and config's the controller before sending it out. Because of this, if a customer plans on adding to the system over time, we would need to know if the "max" # is going to be 8, 16, or more. This isn't something that you would be "locked into" but it saves future configuration headaches down the road

Also of note was that if we go more than 16 modules for a single setup the volume steps would drop from 12 to10 for each speaker. I don't know if that will affect the plugin's control or not, so maybe there should be a configurable variable in the plugin that would determine either by # of modules or by # of volume steps, so that volume can be controlled the way we want.

I hope this answers all the questions (for now), but please, if there are more questions, keep 'em coming!
        Plugins:
        BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

Could you elaborate on the IR macros and how they would work?

Also, I know that the rs232 protocol allows the execution of these macros (thus the plugin should also be able to execute them). I would like to know if there is a way to create the IR macros using the rs232 protocol (and thus the plugin).
          James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

The macros are created using the software utility that comes with the program (similar to upstart configuring upb switches). The macros can be triggered by either IR or the rs232. There are something like 63 some odd macros available. they are created and stored on the controller device. it would be cool for the plugin to be able to trigger them, maybe have 63 devices created, by default macro1 macro2 and so on, then as they are used maybe the user could rename them. a simple on/off would work, i think. it would be good for those to be actions for triggered events (if this, action is macro1 on). it would also be good for the macro to be an event trigger, like "if macro changes to on, event action _____"

it may also be worthwhile to create a "pause plugin for ess config session" type of button, again, similar to the pause plugin for upstart session that you can use with the upb plugin, that way you don't have to close HS to run the config utility for the ess when you are creating/editing macros.
            Plugins:

Comment

All good ideas that I agree with. Having the utility to create the macros would also make my job easier.
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

there are three different softwares that come with the ess. one is a config utility, one is a control utility, and i forget what the other one is. you can download all of them at the site, though.
                Plugins:

Comment

Ian,

Great job on getting the details! I'm sending you an email with how I would like my order config'd

Jack
                  Over The Hill
                  What Hill?
                  Where?
                  When?
                  I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

You can put me down for 1 ESS1 and 8 ESS7's in rack mount (110 VAC). Let me know when you need anything else.

What are folks using for the amplifiers?

Thanks
                    Gary

Comment

I'd be in for 1 ESS1 and 8 ESS7's to start with. Rack mount, us/110 and no ab8ss to exchange.

I could see having up to 12 total ESS7's at some time if he needs that for configuration.

Thanks for getting this going.

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post
                        You can put me down for 1 ESS1 and 8 ESS7's in rack mount (110 VAC). Let me know when you need anything else.

Thanks
                        Gary
                        Since I have a separate whole house audio system installed, I only have a single channel for TTS (I'm getting the ESS1 and ESS7's only because there is minor cost difference and for future expansion someday) I am using a 50watt monoblock McIntosh MC50
                        Over The Hill
                        What Hill?
                        Where?
                        When?
                        I Don't Remember Any Hill

Virtualized Server 2k3 Ent X86 Guest on VMWare ESXi 4.1 with 3 SunRay thin clients as access points - HSPro 2.4.0.48 - ZTroller - ACRF2 (3 WGL 800's) - iAutomate RFID - Ledam - MLHSPlugin - Ultra1wire - RainRelay8 - TI103 - Ultramon - WAF-AB8SS - jvESS (11 zones) - Bitwise Controls BC4 - with 745 Total Devices - 550 Events - 104 scripts - 78 ZWave devices - 42 X10 devices - 76 DS10a's 3 RFXSenors and 32 Motion Sensors

Comment

Originally posted by Kbevo View Post

Thanks
                          Gary
                          I'm using a Harman Kardon avr325. It has a multiroom output which uses the rear surrounds from the 7.1. My plan is to run the multiroom output into input A, and the front R/L into input B. Once I get my theater room finished I'll either buy a new receiver for the theater room or get a new setup for powering the ESS. It seems a bit of a waste to use the avr325 just for whole house audio, but then it's nice having one machine that can drive two inputs, so I'm not sure.

David and kbevo, I have you down for 8/1. Kbevo, did you have an ab8ss you'll want to exchange?
                          Plugins:

Comment

If this works out, 1 ESS and 6 ESS7 modules to start.
                            Rack Mount U.S.

StevenE
                            Why oh why didn't I just leave things alone, they had been working.

Comment

Steve E,
                              do you want it configured for a max of 8, 16, or 16+?
                              Plugins:

Comment

Working...
                              X