Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Improved! Now nothing works.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything Improved! Now nothing works.....

OK, looking to the developer and braintrust, here..... Local ISP just "fixed" my pixilation issue on Netflix by installing a new modem which effectively locks me out of the modem, which I previously had access to. OK, so here is the problem:

No reserved IP addresses, anymore.

Harmony Hub keeps losing the network.

When I force the HUB to rejoin the network, I no longer receive errors, but it doesn't control anything, either. (No errors noted in the HS3 log, even though the command is apparently given and nothing happens.)

I'm kinda lost. (And Pissed.) Can anybody drag me down off of the ceiling and point me in the right direction? This has worked PERFECTLY until now......

G-r-rr--r-r-rr-r-r-...
    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Who is your local ISP and what kind of internet do you have (Cable or DSL)?

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
      OK, looking to the developer and braintrust, here..... Local ISP just "fixed" my pixilation issue on Netflix by installing a new modem which effectively locks me out of the modem, which I previously had access to. OK, so here is the problem:

No reserved IP addresses, anymore.

Harmony Hub keeps losing the network.

When I force the HUB to rejoin the network, I no longer receive errors, but it doesn't control anything, either. (No errors noted in the HS3 log, even though the command is apparently given and nothing happens.)

I'm kinda lost. (And Pissed.) Can anybody drag me down off of the ceiling and point me in the right direction? This has worked PERFECTLY until now......

G-r-rr--r-r-rr-r-r-...
      No reserved IPs shouldn't really be an issue since that should only affect your external router IP address and it won't change unless your modem is offline for an extended amount of time. Since the HH only supports DHCP, I'm assuming your router is assigning the HH its address? Can your router do DHCP address reservations? This may improve the situation.

Hope this helps,
      Ken
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
        Who is your local ISP and what kind of internet do you have (Cable or DSL)?
        Well, I wasn't kidding about "Local." It is ATMC.net. And I have Cable....
        Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins
        AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

No reserved IPs shouldn't really be an issue since that should only affect your external router IP address and it won't change unless your modem is offline for an extended amount of time. Since the HH only supports DHCP, I'm assuming your router is assigning the HH its address? Can your router do DHCP address reservations? This may improve the situation.

Hope this helps,
          Ken
          As I see the situation, which may be entirely faulty, Meiharmony is looking for a solid IP address.... I no longer have that for the Harmony Hub (DHCP, first come, first served). Additionally, I don't have predictable IP addresses for the Amplifier or the DVR.... My router belongs to the ISP and they have locked me out.... so, unless I can get THEM to do the DHCP address reservations... (as I had before), I'm hosed...

Or, I have to throw money at something like PFSense to fix things....

PS
          This is wrong.
          Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Well, I wasn't kidding about "Local." It is ATMC.net. And I have Cable....
            If it's cable, I"m surprised they don't allow you to bring your own device. I'm pretty sure they are using docsis (probably 3.0). You can always ask them, if they say no, they are probably trying to get you to pay a rental fee. But that's not the problem here. I go into this later.

Originally posted by kenm View Post

Hope this helps,
            Ken
            I believe you and the OP are saying the same thing. He can no longer do DHCP reservations based on mac address.

As I see the situation, which may be entirely faulty, Meiharmony is looking for a solid IP address.... I no longer have that for the Harmony Hub (DHCP, first come, first served). Additionally, I don't have predictable IP addresses for the Amplifier or the DVR.... My router belongs to the ISP and they have locked me out.... so, unless I can get THEM to do the DHCP address reservations... (as I had before), I'm hosed...

Or, I have to throw money at something like PFSense to fix things....

PS
            This is wrong.
            You don't have to throw money at PFSense. Do you have just a modem or a modem/router combination? If it's the latter, I'm surprised they don't give you access as I feel that is a security issue and you should find another ISP. If it is just a modem, do you have a separate router? If so make sure it can't do the DHCP reservations.

Now, either way, you can get a router to put on your side of the modem to give you the control you want. You don't have to go to a dedicated firewall. You could even get a nice Wifi/Router combo. Just make sure it does DHCP. Even if what you have is modem/router combo, you can still use a second router on your side and your ISPs will just assign it an iP. yes, it's a bit messy, but if they are being that way, it may be your only choice.

Now, about the Hub. The modem/Router should reserve the IP even after the hub restarts. I don't see why it would lose it's reservation. It should only lose it if it's not connected for a very long period of time or perhaps the modem is restarted. Restarting the Harmony Hub or even it losing connection should not change the IP.

I wish I could get discovery working, but I haven't had much luck on that front. For now, I would either ask your ISP for control over the equipment that your data goes through (your modem) or you get an internal router so you can control what the outside world sees.

edit, I should note that most ISP router/modems should have the option of being put into bridge mode which removes the "routing" portion. If you get yoru own router, you can request they allow you to put it into bridge mode, but even if they don't, you should be ok.

Comment

Well, I was hoping for a quick fix before Thanksgiving, but I guess that isn't going to happen. And, I really didn't want to add more (unnecessary) equipment just because of a ISP that has copped an attitude. Since the ISP doesn't work nights, holidays, or weekends.... I guess nothing will move forward until Monday....

I'll report back, then....
              Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

I have pfsense running and love it. I avoided the temptation to re-purpose ancient gear. Instead I bought a fanless Qotom i5-based box and have been quite happy with it. Not the least expensive way to approach it but pretty much future-proof for acting as a residential router. I keep all my wifi on separate access points. The pfsense router handles internal DHCP, the AP's all forward to it. Works nicely. Most SoHo routers support being configured as a dumb access point, so it's a simple way to have coverage on multiple floors/areas without stepping up to more complicated setups like ubiquiti.

It would be extremely odd for an ISP to provide a router you couldn't configure. What make/model is it?

Comment

If you do put a router behind the modem make sure you have the service provider put the modem in to bridge Mode .If you don't you run into double NATing which can cause problems.

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post

It would be extremely odd for an ISP to provide a router you couldn't configure. What make/model is it?
                    It is an Arris TG2472. I assumed admin/password would get me in (that worked with the old one), but it doesn't.
                    Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

It is an Arris TG2472. I assumed admin/password would get me in (that worked with the old one), but it doesn't.
                      Ah, integrated cable modem and router. Annoying. As thermiruts suggests, if/when you get the ISP to 'help' putting that into 'bridge mode' would certainly be the best solution if you're going to use it just as a dumb modem with your own router set up on the inside. That's not an uncommon configuration for residential Internet setups.

I'd wonder if a "forced factory reset" would be in order. As in, whack the config back to Arris factory settings and then use the default username/password to set it up.

Downside, of course, would be discovering the ISP has sprinkled some magic config dust on it. Where a factory reset goes back not to Arris settings but to something the ISP cooked up. Or the Arris defaults aren't set up for the ISP and you don't know the magic config bits necessary to get it talking.

Comment

OK, I'll give an update. Though I haven't made sure yet, I believe I have everything fixed, due to a top-level-guru-technician that figured out I know my way around a router.... and he gave me entrance into the hallowed halls of the modem/router by a password and a username.... no surprise there, but that is where the odd story begins....

This ISP has restricted everybody (except top level support) from accessing the modem.... and they have done so in such an extreme manner that the passcodes are changed daily... with no more than 30 days worth of codes available at any one time to anybody. Now, I'm all for security, but this sounds over the top.... am I missing something or is this the new standard?

I may be getting the modem bridged and begging for information on Ubiquity, before all of the dust settles.... Thanks for everybody's help.....
                        Home Assistant 2024.3

Enabled Plug-Ins

Comment

Working...
                        X