Discussions: Updates on fix for FW .206

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussions: Updates on fix for FW .206

This thread is for user discoussion on my updates located in this thread: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/au...fix-for-fw-206

Thanks Frank for all of your efforts. Let me know if you need any "alpha" testers.
    "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I'm probably in the minority here, but these are my minimum needs for the hub plugin.

Must have - Ability to set the hub activity from HomeSeer.
      Would really, really like to have - Ability to send device button presses from HomeSeer to the hub.

Yes, it would be nice to know what activity the hub is in, but since I have other ways to figure that out, I could do without it.

Of course, I am worried that whatever you do may be killed at anytime by Logitech as they aren't supporting a local interface. You'd think they would be interested supporting home automation use of the hub.

Comment

I'm switching to the new method the phone app uses. yes it's unsupported, but I think the phone apps have been using this new method (WebSockets) for a while now and they are just now deprecating the XMPP solution.

Funny thing though, Logitech said the decision to close down XMPP was for security reasons, but XMPP if done properly can be more secure than WebSockets

Comment

And could someone explain what security risk a Harmony hub presents? Might someone turn my TV off while I am in the middle a rerun of M*A*S*H? Oh, the humanity!
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            And could someone explain what security risk a Harmony hub presents? Might someone turn my TV off while I am in the middle a rerun of M*A*S*H? Oh, the humanity!
            I don't see a security hole in the control API. The security bug they are referencing was the ability to hijack a firmware update and apply your own firmware. Perhaps this was made possible over the XMPP communication, but I don't think that's even it.

I read the release about their security flaw from the firm that did it..they never reference the control API, just the ability to apply an unofficial firmware over the network (and even then you still have to be on the same network)

Comment

As I get started this morning, I have to call Bravo Sierra on this security excuse. They want to force users to use their cloud services. It is not about security, it is about data farming and/or revenue. I hope for the sake of all consumers this callous and clumsy move hits their bottom line.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Not sure if this helps at all... but I just remembered that Imperihome as Harmony as one of it's "smart objects" you can connect directly. It only gives you control of the actual activities, so I never really used it... but just tried and it authenticated easily. Maybe spud has an idea that might help, being the imperihome guru.

just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                  Not sure if this helps at all... but I just remembered that Imperihome as Harmony as one of it's "smart objects" you can connect directly. It only gives you control of the actual activities, so I never really used it... but just tried and it authenticated easily. Maybe spud has an idea that might help, being the imperihome guru.

just a thought.
                  I have a solution, Its just taking time to rewrite the plugin to use it.

Comment

Does Logitech update the firmware automatically without us knowing? The reason I ask is that I no longer have control of logitech hub via the plug-in. Nothing I do in Homeseer or Harmony Plugin will get it working. I assume this is an issue with their .206 Plug-in? I can control with phone app just fine and haven't updated Logitech Hub myself. Thanks much !!!!! Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
                      Does Logitech update the firmware automatically without us knowing? The reason I ask is that I no longer have control of logitech hub via the plug-in. Nothing I do in Homeseer or Harmony Plugin will get it working. I assume this is an issue with their .206 Plug-in? I can control with phone app just fine and haven't updated Logitech Hub myself. Thanks much !!!!! Rick
                      Yes, it appears that the hub checks periodically for an update and applies it if found. This is in addition to updating anytime you try to make a change (anything that causes a "sync") to the hub/remote.

Comment

I was wondering why I was suddenly getting a bunch of errors and my HS tasks weren't talking to my Harmony hubs. Glad to know a fix may be coming and best of luck with writing it!

Comment

Well this is certainly disappointing. I had planned on adding the Harmony Hub in next month or so. Guess I won’t be doing that. Following this thread for possible solutions or alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtmatthew View Post
                            Well this is certainly disappointing. I had planned on adding the Harmony Hub in next month or so. Guess I won’t be doing that. Following this thread for possible solutions or alternatives.
                            The plugin should be fixed soon. At the rate I'm going I think I'll have a beta out Tomorrow night or Friday night (hopefully tomorrow).

However, I would completely understand if you decide to stay away from Logitech at this point.

Comment

Interesting comment about websocket future here :
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X